Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I would think it is dependent on temperature [near the starter] or battery health.

I think David is right. When I was having these problems with Big Blue it wasn't consistent. Sometimes it kicked back and sometimes it didn't. But it appeared that it was temp related.

Then when I swapped ignition modules, with no other changes, the problem went away.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think David is right. When I was having these problems with Big Blue it wasn't consistent. Sometimes it kicked back and sometimes it didn't. But it appeared that it was temp related.

Then when I swapped ignition modules, with no other changes, the problem went away.

Ok, thanks gents. We got a little snow last night so testing is postponed for a couple days until the roads clear up again. Salt trucks were out.:nabble_smiley_cry:

If the truck sat unused for a month or 2 could the weights inside the dist. get a little rust on them and was sticking?

Not that you have been driving / running the motor it is wearing the rust down and the weights a free again.

Dave ----

If the truck sat unused for a month or 2 could the weights inside the dist. get a little rust on them and was sticking?

Not that you have been driving / running the motor it is wearing the rust down and the weights a free again.

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

I actually checked them and they're nice and free. The distributor is brand new, so they should be good. I'll get some more testing done when the weather comes back around again. As Bullnose issues go, this should be an easier one to sort out...

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

I actually checked them and they're nice and free. The distributor is brand new, so they should be good. I'll get some more testing done when the weather comes back around again. As Bullnose issues go, this should be an easier one to sort out...

I knew the dist. was new but you cant "ASSUME" :nabble_anim_blbl:

I saw you got a little of the white stuff to rub it in they are talking in the 80's here tomorrow than drop to the mid 60's this weekend.

Dave ----

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

Curious about something. I happened to notice this little heat shield for the passenger side wiring harness on a 1986 truck being parted out. It is an F250 with 351w, to protect the wiring harness from the heat of the exhaust manifold I assume.

IMG_0358.jpg.705ad03859c82f1585d1b44a4f157f3b.jpg

I just happened to see another truck with one...I think Max's 1980 F100 w/300-6.

My 1984 doesn't have one and doesn't appear to have ever had one...there are no screw holes in the cab there, and it is still clean and blue like the rest of the firewall.

Was this shield engine specific and just not required with the 302? It seems like one of those things they would have included on all cabs, but maybe the smallest V8's didn't get them?

Curious about something. I happened to notice this little heat shield for the passenger side wiring harness on a 1986 truck being parted out. It is an F250 with 351w, to protect the wiring harness from the heat of the exhaust manifold I assume.

I just happened to see another truck with one...I think Max's 1980 F100 w/300-6.

My 1984 doesn't have one and doesn't appear to have ever had one...there are no screw holes in the cab there, and it is still clean and blue like the rest of the firewall.

Was this shield engine specific and just not required with the 302? It seems like one of those things they would have included on all cabs, but maybe the smallest V8's didn't get them?

I don't know the answer to the question, but did spend some time looking - to no avail. A "shield" is generic part # 14A099, but that one is either not a "shield" or not shown. I'll keep my eyes open.

I don't know the answer to the question, but did spend some time looking - to no avail. A "shield" is generic part # 14A099, but that one is either not a "shield" or not shown. I'll keep my eyes open.

Are they present on your trucks Gary?

Are they present on your trucks Gary?

Big Blue has it. I know as I was working in that area recently. Will check Dad's truck when I get to the shop.