Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

But the threads of the bleeder screw leak such that you are never sure if the bubbles are from the threads or from the system.
Apply silicone dielectric/brake grease to the threads to seal them.

But it's moot with reverse-bleeding since the bleed screws aren't opened.

Once when I was re-building the entire braking system I used PTFE tape on the bleeder screws and that worked very well. But if you aren't rebuilding you can't very well pull the bleeder screws, so some type of heavy paste/grease would probably work, like the dielectric or brake grease - applied w/a Q-Tip. Or, maybe PTFE paste. So, I like that idea. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the reverse bleeding approach, I'll have to try that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...reverse bleeders from Phoenix systems...
Is it a vacuum bleeder? Reverse-bleeding doesn't require any equipment (and it's my preferred method). It's described in this caption:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895333/thumbnail/mastercyl9496.jpg

I've used it on my truck, several similar trucks, my car & others, and modern 4WABS/TC vehicles while working at dealerships & independent shops. I've never had to do the 2nd part of the procedure.

Steve, thanks, that is interesting.

I bought Speed Bleeders for the F250 because I don't always have someone to help me.

I haven't installed the Speed Bleeders yet. Ran out of summer!

• 2 weeks later...

The old Blue Mule project has been collecting dust for a few weeks, but a box of new parts arrived last week:

IMG_6492.jpg.018de68ef19c46499783317148e41e31.jpg

All new cab mounts and hardware

Swaybar bushings

New seal for the vent valve in the gas tank

New rear spring shackles

New rear axle bumpers

New 5spd shift knob for my modified NP435 shifter stick

Can't remember what else...

Boy those cab mount parts are expensive. Ugh.

Going to install the swaybars soon. I have them all powder coated and ready to go. My frame stands are tied up at the moment holding up the rear end of the frame while I get my rear leaf bushings sorted out this week. If the Energy Suspension bushings are the correct size that will be the best fix, that's plan A. If not, plan B. is to get new main leafs.

Also need to do the brake lines and fuel lines still. It's not much work, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I got all new cushion clamps today for both lines, so now I just need the lines.

Oh, and I picked up another old '83 5.0 H.O. air cleaner assembly. It's in pretty rough condition, but good for some spare parts. It still had all of the vacuum fittings and tubes, etc. Also, I was missing a couple of the factory screws for the air inlet ducts, which were unobtanium, at least around here.

IMG_6489.jpg.d2e0f8779b82e81bd6fdd2b1a8a408d1.jpg

Another thing I've been meaning to do is install the new Ford OEM temp sensor in the intake, and fix what may be a leaky thermostat housing. I was also planning to lengthen the heater core hoses a little bit, to see if I can get the air cleaner intake flkex duct to work a little better in that area.

Ahh...so many things to do...

The old Blue Mule project has been collecting dust for a few weeks, but a box of new parts arrived last week:

All new cab mounts and hardware

Swaybar bushings

New seal for the vent valve in the gas tank

New rear spring shackles

New rear axle bumpers

New 5spd shift knob for my modified NP435 shifter stick

Can't remember what else...

Boy those cab mount parts are expensive. Ugh.

Going to install the swaybars soon. I have them all powder coated and ready to go. My frame stands are tied up at the moment holding up the rear end of the frame while I get my rear leaf bushings sorted out this week. If the Energy Suspension bushings are the correct size that will be the best fix, that's plan A. If not, plan B. is to get new main leafs.

Also need to do the brake lines and fuel lines still. It's not much work, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I got all new cushion clamps today for both lines, so now I just need the lines.

Oh, and I picked up another old '83 5.0 H.O. air cleaner assembly. It's in pretty rough condition, but good for some spare parts. It still had all of the vacuum fittings and tubes, etc. Also, I was missing a couple of the factory screws for the air inlet ducts, which were unobtanium, at least around here.

Another thing I've been meaning to do is install the new Ford OEM temp sensor in the intake, and fix what may be a leaky thermostat housing. I was also planning to lengthen the heater core hoses a little bit, to see if I can get the air cleaner intake flkex duct to work a little better in that area.

Yes, so many things to do! And where to start? :nabble_smiley_sad:

But it looks like you have a good plan, Stan. I hope it comes together just right. Man, that'll be a lot of improvement on the Blue Mule. :nabble_smiley_good:

I hear you brother!

I am in that same boat and at times I think I will never see the end LOL

At least you got to drive yours. Other than a bad short test drive in 2015 I have not.

Dave ----

Dave,

Yes sir, I put something like 2500-3000 miles on it last summer, just touring around locally mostly, but I can say I did that much.

I doubt I'll be finished by spring, but it should be drive-able again. It just may not be pretty, that's all...lol.

Can't do it all at once...where would the fun be in that?...lol.

Dave,

Yes sir, I put something like 2500-3000 miles on it last summer, just touring around locally mostly, but I can say I did that much.

I doubt I'll be finished by spring, but it should be drive-able again. It just may not be pretty, that's all...lol.

Can't do it all at once...where would the fun be in that?...lol.

Finally got the leaf springs re-installed tonight. I ended up taking them to a local spring shop and they tightened up the rear leaf eyes for me. The new bushings pressed in nice and tight, so we're back in business now. I installed four spring bundle clamps instead of the factory front two, and new DJM rear shackles to try and level out the truck a little bit.

What are you guys tightening the axle tube U-Bolts to? 85-90 ft/lbs? I've got about 70 on them now.

IMG_6527.jpg.5d3ff33d08a8401bd1ea503959674adb.jpg

Anyway, I figure I'll start cutting the cab mounts out this weekend. I have a new set on hand. Once they're done, that will be every single frame and chassis rubber bushing replaced. Even jumping the rear end up and down now feels much tighter....well, as tight as a squishy suspension'd 84 F150 can be;).

So, next up...

Replace all four cab mounts.

Finish brake lines (Couldn't jack-up front of truck while rear of truck was on the stands).

Re-install wiring harness from cab back...

Install new fuel tank and fuel line.

Etc, etc, etc....

Finally got the leaf springs re-installed tonight. I ended up taking them to a local spring shop and they tightened up the rear leaf eyes for me. The new bushings pressed in nice and tight, so we're back in business now. I installed four spring bundle clamps instead of the factory front two, and new DJM rear shackles to try and level out the truck a little bit.

What are you guys tightening the axle tube U-Bolts to? 85-90 ft/lbs? I've got about 70 on them now.

Anyway, I figure I'll start cutting the cab mounts out this weekend. I have a new set on hand. Once they're done, that will be every single frame and chassis rubber bushing replaced. Even jumping the rear end up and down now feels much tighter....well, as tight as a squishy suspension'd 84 F150 can be;).

So, next up...

Finish brake lines (Couldn't jack-up front of truck while rear of truck was on the stands).

Etc, etc, etc....

Good job! Good progress!

So, next up...

Etc, etc, etc....

Yes, that looks really good! Glad the local shop was able to fix the springs to take the bushings.

I'll check the shop manual later today on torque values.

So, next up...

Etc, etc, etc....

How's this?

DSCN0791.thumb.jpg.59603531a40f9a0346fd4b267686bd0b.jpg