Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I thought fender = wing in Brit speak?

As for weird "translations", my lift's instructions said the green wire must be connected to the "floor". I guessed that they meant "earth" or "ground", but that looked like a huge liability problem for the vendor. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, a lawsuit would be groundless? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for weird "translations", my lift's instructions said the green wire must be connected to the "floor". I guessed that they meant "earth" or "ground", but that looked like a huge liability problem for the vendor. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, a lawsuit would be groundless? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Good one! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes Gary fender = wing in the UK but a fender is a guard over here

I forgot to mention, in other good news, I checked my odometer with GPS yesterday, and for a GPS measured trip of 52 kms (32.3 mi), my odometer read exactly 53 kms (32.9 mi). So we'll say that the odometer is reading 2% high or so. That's not bad, and just BS luck that with my tire swap (factory 215/75/15 to 275/60/15), and then from the 3spd manual to 5spd manual, everything still works as it supposed to. How often does that happen?...lol.

I forgot to mention, in other good news, I checked my odometer with GPS yesterday, and for a GPS measured trip of 52 kms (32.3 mi), my odometer read exactly 53 kms (32.9 mi). So we'll say that the odometer is reading 2% high or so. That's not bad, and just BS luck that with my tire swap (factory 215/75/15 to 275/60/15), and then from the 3spd manual to 5spd manual, everything still works as it supposed to. How often does that happen?...lol.

Oh, and in other good news, playing around with the timing, I got the truck working MUCH better in the lower RPM's, and managed to hit 16.5 MPG on the highway. I think that is pretty respectable for the old girl.

Now, the distance was measured accurately, but the fuel was not 100% precise, so I could be off a hair in either direction. Once I get all the bugs worked out of it, I'll take it on some longer trips where the fuel economy can be measured better.

As it stands now, working as good as it was yesterday in the lower RPM's, I would leave the 3.08 rear diff alone.

Not bad at all! Big Blue's odometer is dead-on and the speedo is slow by almost 10%. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Oh, and in other good news, playing around with the timing, I got the truck working MUCH better in the lower RPM's, and managed to hit 16.5 MPG on the highway. I think that is pretty respectable for the old girl.

Now, the distance was measured accurately, but the fuel was not 100% precise, so I could be off a hair in either direction. Once I get all the bugs worked out of it, I'll take it on some longer trips where the fuel economy can be measured better.

As it stands now, working as good as it was yesterday in the lower RPM's, I would leave the 3.08 rear diff alone.

Oops, missed this post. That's not bad MPG at all, but I'd think you could up it a little bit with some tuning. Have you played with the vacuum advance yet?

Have you played with the vacuum advance yet?

Yes, just started yesterday. I was driving around with it disconnected, but now that my exhaust is quieted down (and I can hear potential pinging) I hooked it up. I'm getting too much advance now, so I need to adjust the actuator and play with it a bit.

Without vac advance, it was a dog below 2000 RPM, and it would light right up above 2000 RPM. Now, it's much better below 2000 RPM, and seems a little sluggish above. I'm not hearing any pinging at all.

If I have time I'll play with it a bit tomorrow, but between the choke and the vac advance, I have a some adjusting to do before I'd consider it all set.

Have you played with the vacuum advance yet?

Yes, just started yesterday. I was driving around with it disconnected, but now that my exhaust is quieted down (and I can hear potential pinging) I hooked it up. I'm getting too much advance now, so I need to adjust the actuator and play with it a bit.

Without vac advance, it was a dog below 2000 RPM, and it would light right up above 2000 RPM. Now, it's much better below 2000 RPM, and seems a little sluggish above. I'm not hearing any pinging at all.

If I have time I'll play with it a bit tomorrow, but between the choke and the vac advance, I have a some adjusting to do before I'd consider it all set.

Get the initial advance sorted first, then mechanical/centrifugal advance sorted out next, and then the vacuum advance.

I finally got around to dropping the old spare tire out from under the bed.

It's an old H78-15 tire from Canadian Tire, so it's not something that came with the truck. Says it is Nylon Belted. It's as bald as a cue ball, rotten, and flat...lol. Wouldn't have been much good on the side of the road. When I Google H78-15, they keep coming up as trailer tires, or antique tires...lol. I think this one is older than the truck.

IMG_4908.jpg.331e53e4436c49b9336700536de54069.jpg

The underside of the bed is in surprisingly good condition for the age of the truck. That is the original plywood, which looks great on the bottom, but has rotten and flakey patches on the topside. The bed crossmembers look to be in great condition. Thank goodness the original owner had the thing undercoated or it wouldn't still be here today;).

IMG_4909.jpg.4f566d13d5a13d9b02b2b498580e23a0.jpg

Getting ready to drain the diff fluid, so parts of the motivation to remove the spare was easier access to the rear cover.