Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes headers on your side of the world and extractors for us on this side of the world (Australia)

Well isn't that interesting, I didn't know they were called Extractors down there;). Neato.

We have a weird mix of American and British terms and phrases here in Canada. We were just discussing this at work yesterday. A couple of my co-workers, when they take time off work, say they are going "on Holidays", which I understand is what the British say. Most of us say that we are going "on vacation", which is the American term, I guess...lol. So what do you call time off work in Australia?

But yes, I suppose the headers are adding some noise as well. I do fuss over ticks and rattles more than most, but this thing sounds really noisy to me. Maybe having no radio is adding to my problems...lol, that's on the to-do list as well.

Yes headers on your side of the world and extractors for us on this side of the world (Australia)

Well isn't that interesting, I didn't know they were called Extractors down there;). Neato.

We have a weird mix of American and British terms and phrases here in Canada. We were just discussing this at work yesterday. A couple of my co-workers, when they take time off work, say they are going "on Holidays", which I understand is what the British say. Most of us say that we are going "on vacation", which is the American term, I guess...lol. So what do you call time off work in Australia?

But yes, I suppose the headers are adding some noise as well. I do fuss over ticks and rattles more than most, but this thing sounds really noisy to me. Maybe having no radio is adding to my problems...lol, that's on the to-do list as well.

It's very interesting what each side of the world calls thing two things that are exactly the same. I have gotten some very weird looks when we have had our America holidays (to answer your question) in the States when asking for car parts. It must be from the British background that we have over here as well. Here's an example of some of the words:

* Fender = Guard

* Hood = Bonnet

* Trunk = Boot Lid

* Napkins = Serviettes

* Aluminum = Aluminium

* Candy = Lollies

Getting back to the ticking noise, did you have the headers before the rebuild or were they new when you did engine rebuild? I have always noticed when changing from manifolds to headers they are always noisier with that ticking sound.

Getting back to the ticking noise, did you have the headers before the rebuild or were they new when you did engine rebuild? I have always noticed when changing from manifolds to headers they are always noisier with that ticking sound.

The engine was completely stock previously, and I must say, it was very quiet and smooth running. This thing sounds like a real rattle box on the top end. It is so strange to me. The video I posted above really doesn't show the noise well imho.

That's funny...I forget about Aluminium. We say aluminum in Canada. I had a discussion about that word one time while working in the UK years ago. I told the guy that I spoke Canadian, and he said "no, you speak American"...lol. We have our own accent up here, but our terms/words/spelling does vary between British and American.

You also have extractors which also make that ticking exhaust sound as well

Yes, I hear some noise. It isn't bad, but it is there. And while Oz is right that you have extractors/headers and they tend to also give that sound, it does sound like valve train.

But, the fact that it is even from side to side suggests that all the cylinders and doing it. So that means that there's not something wrong. And, having broken it in on the dyno you know it isn't something that is about to break.

Yes, I hear some noise. It isn't bad, but it is there. And while Oz is right that you have extractors/headers and they tend to also give that sound, it does sound like valve train.

But, the fact that it is even from side to side suggests that all the cylinders and doing it. So that means that there's not something wrong. And, having broken it in on the dyno you know it isn't something that is about to break.

I was thinking of that this morning. We ran this thing for hours on the dyno, and probably did 15 pulls with it. If it was going to bust something or wipe out a cam lobe, I guess it would have happened then.

I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I'll try and get a better video on another day. Maybe inside my garage would show the noise better.

It's very interesting what each side of the world calls thing two things that are exactly the same. I have gotten some very weird looks when we have had our America holidays (to answer your question) in the States when asking for car parts. It must be from the British background that we have over here as well. Here's an example of some of the words:

* Fender = Guard

* Hood = Bonnet

* Trunk = Boot Lid

* Napkins = Serviettes

* Aluminum = Aluminium

* Candy = Lollies

When I was in college my folks bought a '78 Toyota Celica. In the owners manual it had a translation table with the British and American words for some car-related terms (they also included wrench = spanner). Those lists are always interesting, but even more-so when they're compiled by someone who's native language is Japanese! I don't recall the specifics anymore, but I remember there were some items in the list where I'd never have figured out the "American" term without the British one to point me in the right direction!

* Fender = Guard

* Hood = Bonnet

* Trunk = Boot Lid

* Napkins = Serviettes

* Aluminum = Aluminium

* Candy = Lollies

When I was in college my folks bought a '78 Toyota Celica. In the owners manual it had a translation table with the British and American words for some car-related terms (they also included wrench = spanner). Those lists are always interesting, but even more-so when they're compiled by someone who's native language is Japanese! I don't recall the specifics anymore, but I remember there were some items in the list where I'd never have figured out the "American" term without the British one to point me in the right direction!

I had a 1976 Subaru. One time while reading the owner's manual, I was amused to read that if the engine is shut off while at higher RPMs, a loud bang may be heard. [back fire?] :nabble_anim_confused:

I had a 1976 Subaru. One time while reading the owner's manual, I was amused to read that if the engine is shut off while at higher RPMs, a loud bang may be heard. [back fire?] :nabble_anim_confused:

I thought fender = wing in Brit speak?

As for weird "translations", my lift's instructions said the green wire must be connected to the "floor". I guessed that they meant "earth" or "ground", but that looked like a huge liability problem for the vendor. :nabble_smiley_cry: