1986 XLT speakers

Romel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I highly, highly recommend the dense foamy soundmat material from Eastwood. Rapping my knuckles on the outer skin of the door is night and day with how it was before.

Didn't see that when I did mine, whats your thoughts on 80mil killmat. The plan was to put that in the door skin, then foam for the speaker, then on the inside under the door panel some jute/foil insulation.

I highly, highly recommend the dense foamy soundmat material from Eastwood. Rapping my knuckles on the outer skin of the door is night and day with how it was before.

Didn't see that when I did mine, whats your thoughts on 80mil killmat. The plan was to put that in the door skin, then foam for the speaker, then on the inside under the door panel some jute/foil insulation.

I am sure it will work just as well - I've heard really good things about kilmat.

Went with Eastwood since I was placing an order there already and have had good luck with their stuff in the past.

Can't speak to the weight of kilmat but I know the Eastwood stuff I put on the floor was really heavy and I would be hesitant to put that in the doors due to the unnecessary added weight. The dense foam was quite a bit lighter than the floor stuff. The ceiling stuff was naturally a lot lighter but is more for heat than sound.

I am sure it will work just as well - I've heard really good things about kilmat.

Went with Eastwood since I was placing an order there already and have had good luck with their stuff in the past.

Can't speak to the weight of kilmat but I know the Eastwood stuff I put on the floor was really heavy and I would be hesitant to put that in the doors due to the unnecessary added weight. The dense foam was quite a bit lighter than the floor stuff. The ceiling stuff was naturally a lot lighter but is more for heat than sound.

I have replacement doors, the factory ones had like a rolled on deadener/stiffener in them and vs the new door shells that are clean through and through. I think the kill mat wont add enough weight to matter, its butyl material I believe with 1/2lb weight per sqft. I have eva matting from ACC under the jute and foil insulation on the floor. It was paper backed and smelled like asphalt which I was not expecting so the EVA must be mixed with something. I have enough kill mat I probably could have just used that, heck maybe ill just go crazy with my left over kill mat in other places... butyl is heat resistant up to 250 degrees, maybe I can put it on the engine bay side of the fire wall as well.

I have been toying with insulating the rear cab wall but have yet to decide how to cover it. They make carpet covers for that wall for 87+. But they don't list 1980-86. I am curious how they attach, maybe ill make a post on that.

I have replacement doors, the factory ones had like a rolled on deadener/stiffener in them and vs the new door shells that are clean through and through. I think the kill mat wont add enough weight to matter, its butyl material I believe with 1/2lb weight per sqft. I have eva matting from ACC under the jute and foil insulation on the floor. It was paper backed and smelled like asphalt which I was not expecting so the EVA must be mixed with something. I have enough kill mat I probably could have just used that, heck maybe ill just go crazy with my left over kill mat in other places... butyl is heat resistant up to 250 degrees, maybe I can put it on the engine bay side of the fire wall as well.

I have been toying with insulating the rear cab wall but have yet to decide how to cover it. They make carpet covers for that wall for 87+. But they don't list 1980-86. I am curious how they attach, maybe ill make a post on that.

very tempted to get these speakers. What kind of trimming was necessary to get them to fit and how did you accomplish that? I'm hesitant to start cutting up my original rust-free doors.

• 3 years later...

i’ve got one speaker for my driver side door that i have to replace. it got left out for 6 month by my mom when i was out of state. i’m not sure if it will still work but i don’t think so. the original speakers are both mint condition. they sound absolutely amazing and is incredibly surprising for a 39 year old rust bucket like my truck.

is there a specific site to go to, to find oem replacement speakers, or should i take my chances and try to find a good one from one of my local junkyards?

also, the driver door (same as the speaker-less door) is sort of cattywampus. it wiggles when it’s closed and doesn’t seem to seal. any ways to fix that as well or something to check on it?

i’ve got one speaker for my driver side door that i have to replace. it got left out for 6 month by my mom when i was out of state. i’m not sure if it will still work but i don’t think so. the original speakers are both mint condition. they sound absolutely amazing and is incredibly surprising for a 39 year old rust bucket like my truck.

is there a specific site to go to, to find oem replacement speakers, or should i take my chances and try to find a good one from one of my local junkyards?

also, the driver door (same as the speaker-less door) is sort of cattywampus. it wiggles when it’s closed and doesn’t seem to seal. any ways to fix that as well or something to check on it?

The hinge pins and bushings are probably worn out. (the drivers door gets used a lot more)

Also check that the striker post in the door frame still has it's plastic bushing.

There are kits for this. You can find them in the Dorman HELP section of your parts store or online at Amazon.

On the speakers, they need to be in pairs. In other words they need to be identical. But a good set of aftermarket speakers should sound as good as the original ones, if not better.