Bullnose Forums

1986 XLT speakers

Romel

I am just wondering where can I get speakers. The original ones were bad, the sound distorted, they had impedance 6 Ohms I believe. I have put new ones in, but today you can get only 4 Ohm speakers. The only down fall is now the volume has to be almost to max, as I think the impedance plays role for the amplifier in the radio. Anybody has a solution to this, I want to keep the old radio,matches the interior. Thanks for any imput.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As the impedance drops, the speaker will be asking for more power from the amplifier.

The amplifier in the factory head unit will be of very low power and cannot drive these speakers properly. Most aftermarket speakers require min 100 watts. The factory head unit does not have enough power for these. The cheapest option would be to find an oem replacement speaker that is like 10 or 20 watts for example.

If you would like to use your speakers you have already, I would suggest purchasing an amplifier. You will need a speaker to line converter (converts speaker wire signal to an rca input the amplifier can use) or an amplifier that has this converter built in. I mounted my amplifier under the drivers seat. Power needs to be run directly to the battery (size of power cable based on amplifier size - watts)

Installing a foam baffle behind the speakers will increase sound quality as well. They are purchased based on the size of speaker you have.

• 1 month later...

Have a set of those Boom Mats waiting to go in. In addition to sound improvement they also protect the speaker from any elements.

Just an update, I purchased 8 Ohm 30 Watt speakers and they work great, when the radio volume is in the middle it is very very loud, no need to go over one third.

It is hard to come by a new 8 ohm speakers, as most are 4 Ohm. So anybody wanting a stock setup without added amplifier, this is the only way.

Just an update, I purchased 8 Ohm 30 Watt speakers and they work great, when the radio volume is in the middle it is very very loud, no need to go over one third.

It is hard to come by a new 8 ohm speakers, as most are 4 Ohm. So anybody wanting a stock setup without added amplifier, this is the only way.

Glad you got that one sorted. And thanks for the info. :nabble_anim_claps:

Where did you find the speakers at as I need a set also.

Dave ----

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you find the speakers at as I need a set also.

Dave ----

Internet, I am located in Europe, I purchased VISATON BG 17 - 8 Ohm, they are slightly bigger than the hole in the door, it neded a little triming of the door. I am quite happy with them, they sound way better than the original ones.