Bullnose Forums

"Hook 'em Up Loose" - 1986 F-150 Restoration/build

Danny G

Ok here are some pictures of the disconnected wires. The upper one that looks like it should go to a vacuum solenoid has brown and red wires.

The one that goes to the lower connector is a red and what appears to be yellow with a white stripe. Or maybe it's like mustard yellow with a yellow stripe. There is nothing I can find that this connector could reach. It is part of the same harness that continues down over the transmission.

I also noted the misfires do not start right away. The engine starts and does it's it's thing for a minute and then as the idle settles out and it runs for about a minute more the misfires start.

Ok took a 5 minute video from start up to idle then gave it some gas.

It seems as long as it's getting gas the misfires calm down. As soon as I hit the gas it seems like it stutters a bit then after I let off the gas she starts misfiring again. After being on the gas for a minute looks like smoke coming from the pcv valve. Valve feels good but the grommet is shot.

Granted I did feel like I was getting some while highway driving, maybe because it was under load. I will have to take it out again to verify now that the and light has gone away( parking brake is loose and didn't set off the brake light, but was set a bit when I drove it last so we had some issues.)

Here is the link to the video:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here are some pictures of the disconnected wires. The upper one that looks like it should go to a vacuum solenoid has brown and red wires.

The one that goes to the lower connector is a red and what appears to be yellow with a white stripe. Or maybe it's like mustard yellow with a yellow stripe. There is nothing I can find that this connector could reach. It is part of the same harness that continues down over the transmission.

I also noted the misfires do not start right away. The engine starts and does it's it's thing for a minute and then as the idle settles out and it runs for about a minute more the misfires start.

Do you know if the van has EEC-IV or EEC-V? I ask because I have schematics for both in the '96 F-Series EVTM. The trucks below 8500 # GVWR are EEC-V and those 8500 # are EEC-IV. And that makes a difference in the wiring. One way to tell is if there's a mass air flow sensor at the air cleaner box. EEC-IV doesn't have one, but V does.

And, EEC-IV trucks have bank-fire injectors with half of the injectors having a tan wire from them, along with the common red, and the other half having a white wire as well as the red. But on EEC-V trucks each injector has the common red plus a wire color unique to that cylinder, with #1's being tan, #2's being white, #3's being brown/yellow, etc.

However, some things may be common. Like the EGR Control Solenoid had red to one side and brown/pink to the other on both systems.

On the other connector, in the EEC-IV system there's a Secondary Air Injection Diverter Valve with a red wire to one side and a white/orange to the other. And I've found that in my harnesses the white looks yellow and it is hard for me to tell orange from yellow. But that connector is only used on the F450's. So perhaps that one isn't used in your van?

Do you know if the van has EEC-IV or EEC-V? I ask because I have schematics for both in the '96 F-Series EVTM. The trucks below 8500 # GVWR are EEC-V and those 8500 # are EEC-IV. And that makes a difference in the wiring. One way to tell is if there's a mass air flow sensor at the air cleaner box. EEC-IV doesn't have one, but V does.

And, EEC-IV trucks have bank-fire injectors with half of the injectors having a tan wire from them, along with the common red, and the other half having a white wire as well as the red. But on EEC-V trucks each injector has the common red plus a wire color unique to that cylinder, with #1's being tan, #2's being white, #3's being brown/yellow, etc.

However, some things may be common. Like the EGR Control Solenoid had red to one side and brown/pink to the other on both systems.

On the other connector, in the EEC-IV system there's a Secondary Air Injection Diverter Valve with a red wire to one side and a white/orange to the other. And I've found that in my harnesses the white looks yellow and it is hard for me to tell orange from yellow. But that connector is only used on the F450's. So perhaps that one isn't used in your van?

I would check the coil if it starts to misfire after a little warm up.

Edit, if any of the disconnected wires don’t fix it.

I would check the coil if it starts to misfire after a little warm up.

Edit, if any of the disconnected wires don’t fix it.

Got busy with the kids and school today. Will head back out and check all of this in the AM.

Gary maybe it is EEC-V because using the eec-IV code reader I could not get it to do the cylinder balance test.

I will check all the wires and for a maf sensor. According to rock Auto this is an option for this engine.

Got busy with the kids and school today. Will head back out and check all of this in the AM.

Gary maybe it is EEC-V because using the eec-IV code reader I could not get it to do the cylinder balance test.

I will check all the wires and for a maf sensor. According to rock Auto this is an option for this engine.

Ok checked the injector wiring and everyone is red and tan.

Ok checked the injector wiring and everyone is red and tan.

I hope not as that would fire all 8 injectors at the same time. EEC-IV trucks have bank-fire injectors with half of the injectors having a tan wire from them, along with the common red, and the other half having a white wire as well as the red. Specifically, 1, 4, 5, & 8 have tan wires, and 2, 3, 6, & 7 have white wires - in addition to the common red wires.

I hope not as that would fire all 8 injectors at the same time. EEC-IV trucks have bank-fire injectors with half of the injectors having a tan wire from them, along with the common red, and the other half having a white wire as well as the red. Specifically, 1, 4, 5, & 8 have tan wires, and 2, 3, 6, & 7 have white wires - in addition to the common red wires.

How is this possible on a 300? 🤯

🤔

🤣

How is this possible on a 300? 🤯

🤔

🤣

Wait! It's a six? My bad. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But by '96, which is what my EVTM covers, the 300 in an F-Series was EEC-V with SEFI. So I don't have the specific schematics. However, we can probably get there using the 5.8L wiring - and just leaving a cylinder or two off. :nabble_smiley_evil: