Bullnose Forums

"Hook 'em Up Loose" - 1986 F-150 Restoration/build

Danny G

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but is this cab insulation done mostly for sound deadening purposes, or for insulating (heat) purposes?

Started getting into the e-150 to see if I could figure out what's wrong with it's efi 300 six. The misfire is random. Did a eec-IV koeo and koer test. I randomly got a SPOUT circuit (no idea what that is) and knock sensor failure during the dynamic test, but it wasn't consistent.

I could not get the van to do a cylinder balance test, tried like 30 times. This would have helped tremendously in narrowing down things.

There are two connectors not even hooked up. No idea where they go. Looks like one would have hooked up to a vac solenoid as there is an empty spot next to the others. You can see the engine is pretty oil soaked.

I noticed there was a slight gap between the flange of the distributor and the engine and fluid could be see pulsing there.

Battery tested weak could be part of the issue. Ran out of sun before I could start pulling plugs to take a look but given they messed with the distributor I have a feeling the random misfire may be on the fuel delivery side.

Had some black what I thought was oil in the tailpipe. After the water evaporated out if the pipe this seemed to be more soot that oil.

IMG_20200116_163421.jpg.ce258da1f70857331978c630532bff24.jpg

IMG_20200116_163115.jpg.7813104b2753dbfd1bb85ae245a22199.jpg

IMG_20200116_163018.jpg.a44d7aa9e2e28c7a239cd21959e036e9.jpg

IMG_20200116_162912.jpg.14f37d473466e92eb8485af61f6ee7fc.jpg

IMG_20200116_162829.jpg.674a9c5f1fc04c216dedfc0261920b87.jpg

IMG_20200116_162744.jpg.f89ea9ebece747d8cb4b90367436a3b5.jpg

IMG_20200116_162239.jpg.91e54f431526f9c1ec8dedcb54d540db.jpg

Started getting into the e-150 to see if I could figure out what's wrong with it's efi 300 six. The misfire is random. Did a eec-IV koeo and koer test. I randomly got a SPOUT circuit (no idea what that is) and knock sensor failure during the dynamic test, but it wasn't consistent.

I could not get the van to do a cylinder balance test, tried like 30 times. This would have helped tremendously in narrowing down things.

There are two connectors not even hooked up. No idea where they go. Looks like one would have hooked up to a vac solenoid as there is an empty spot next to the others. You can see the engine is pretty oil soaked.

I noticed there was a slight gap between the flange of the distributor and the engine and fluid could be see pulsing there.

Battery tested weak could be part of the issue. Ran out of sun before I could start pulling plugs to take a look but given they messed with the distributor I have a feeling the random misfire may be on the fuel delivery side.

Had some black what I thought was oil in the tailpipe. After the water evaporated out if the pipe this seemed to be more soot that oil.

You weren't kidding about the oil on the engine! :nabble_smiley_scared:

As for the oil around the dizzy, my guess is that the o-ring on the dizzy is bad.

Remind me what year the van is? I'm wondering what documentation I have that might help.

SPOUT (SPark OUT) is a little jumper that goes in the harness between the distributor and the ECM.

With it removed the timing is locked, so you can set base timing.

Video of engine running.

SPOUT (SPark OUT) is a little jumper that goes in the harness between the distributor and the ECM.

Right. But does the fact that he gets an error seemingly randomly mean he has a broken wire or a bad connection? That would certainly cause firing issues.

As for the oil around the dizzy, my guess is that the o-ring on the dizzy is bad.

Remind me what year the van is? I'm wondering what documentation I have that might help.

I think the o-ring is gone.

I think the o-ring is gone.

I have the '96 EVTM. May be the same wiring.

Right. But does the fact that he gets an error seemingly randomly mean he has a broken wire or a bad connection? That would certainly cause firing issues.

It would explain random misfire.

The bellhousing is immaculate.

Obviously no one cared to clean anything before the replaced the tranny.

It would explain random misfire.

The bellhousing is immaculate.

Obviously no one cared to clean anything before the replaced the tranny.

Dizzy is new too. I don't think they put the o-ring on when they did it. Work was done by a Ford dealership here. That transmission was the main reason I bought the van. At $1000 plus title fee's anything else is icing on the cake. PO says engine has 402,000 miles on it. Transmission has like 100.