Bullnose Forums

Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ratdude747

2. While on one of many junkyard runs due to an unfortunate incident, I picked up another 1984 300 AOD ECU... and have ran it for a day of mixed driving with no issues. And compared to the manual ECU, the only difference that I might have noticed is the idle speed (but that's hard to say, since most of what I saw was related to the fast idle cam, not the ECU throttle control). I ran KOEO and KOER tests and other than two faults on the latter for not kicking the throttle in time (and having a testing failure preventing a retest). Problem solved.

While looking at this thread morning, I remembered that I have an ECU from a 1985 or 1986 F150 with 4.9L engine and automatic transmission. It was from a locally owned city utility truck which had 61K miles on it. If anyone is looking for one, get in touch with me.

More data from a long trip in it:

Mixed highway with a bit of local driving: 16mpg

Pure interstate 70mph: 18.4mpg. :nabble_smiley_good:

18.4 is pretty good in my book as I have a hard time keeping mine in the 15 MPG range.

Dave ----

18.4 is a foreign language to me!

2. While on one of many junkyard runs due to an unfortunate incident, I picked up another 1984 300 AOD ECU... and have ran it for a day of mixed driving with no issues. And compared to the manual ECU, the only difference that I might have noticed is the idle speed (but that's hard to say, since most of what I saw was related to the fast idle cam, not the ECU throttle control). I ran KOEO and KOER tests and other than two faults on the latter for not kicking the throttle in time (and having a testing failure preventing a retest). Problem solved.

While looking at this thread morning, I remembered that I have an ECU from a 1985 or 1986 F150 with 4.9L engine and automatic transmission. It was from a locally owned city utility truck which had 61K miles on it. If anyone is looking for one, get in touch with me.

C6 or AOD? Do you know if it was California emissions, high altitude, or neither?

All of those combos have different ECUs... although the engineering number will allow a crossreference to the master calibration list if memory serves.

18.4 is a foreign language to me!

Right! What is that "1" preceding the MPG? Us 460 owners aren't used to that.

Depending on how my luck works out, I may get a 460 too!.

I've said it before that I'm a man of extremes... Never been much of a 302 or 351 guy. But if not a 300 maximizing fuel economy, I'll take a 460 (or an IDI) maximizing raw power and torque. I'm weird.

Depending on how my luck works out, I may get a 460 too!.

I've said it before that I'm a man of extremes... Never been much of a 302 or 351 guy. But if not a 300 maximizing fuel economy, I'll take a 460 (or an IDI) maximizing raw power and torque. I'm weird.

The ditty about a 460 passing anything but a gas station has some truth in it. I don't think there is anything you can do to make a 460 sip gas. But mine has pretty good torque. And for the time in which they were designed they were some of the strongest engines out there.

However, time has moved on and there are lots of engines today that have the torque of a 460 and will blow it away on MPG. The latest 3.5L Ecoboost has 400 HP and 500 lb-ft, which compares quite favorably with what my 460 is supposed to make - 360-370 HP and 500 lb-ft. I can't say how the new EB engine does on fuel, but my 2015 got 11 MPG pulling our 25' Sea Ray 2700 miles at 65 MPH, and will turn in 20 MPG if you run 65 and don't use the speed control. Big Blue gets 11 MPG running light at the same speed.

C6 or AOD? Do you know if it was California emissions, high altitude, or neither?

All of those combos have different ECUs... although the engineering number will allow a crossreference to the master calibration list if memory serves.

The donor truck had a C6 and was sold in Alabama, so neither California emissions nor high altitude.

If needed, numbers from the unit can be provided. This was previously listed in the Swap Meet thread for the 2021 show:

* EEC-IV FBC-ISC3 8K MROM [computer] - E5DF-12A650-H2A This was pulled from a 1985 F150 [61K miles; a former city utility dept. vehicle] with auto. transmission and 4.9L engine.

The ditty about a 460 passing anything but a gas station has some truth in it. I don't think there is anything you can do to make a 460 sip gas. But mine has pretty good torque. And for the time in which they were designed they were some of the strongest engines out there.

However, time has moved on and there are lots of engines today that have the torque of a 460 and will blow it away on MPG. The latest 3.5L Ecoboost has 400 HP and 500 lb-ft, which compares quite favorably with what my 460 is supposed to make - 360-370 HP and 500 lb-ft. I can't say how the new EB engine does on fuel, but my 2015 got 11 MPG pulling our 25' Sea Ray 2700 miles at 65 MPH, and will turn in 20 MPG if you run 65 and don't use the speed control. Big Blue gets 11 MPG running light at the same speed.

I always heard it as "a 460 will tow anything... to the next gas station!"

Oh I know it's not as practical of an engine as something new. I'd love to see what a Godzilla V8 would be like in one of these trucks (especially a bullnose, due to being so much lighter than the prior generation). Now that would a slick tow setup!