Estate Sale Tool Scores

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Estate Sale Tool Scores

ratdude747
Yesterday I went to an estate sale with a lot of good tools and other stuff. RIP to whoever's collection this was; he apparently had been a mechanic and HVAC tech for 40+ years and the selection of tools showed it.

My mom sent me the info and of course that was a good excuse to take my Bullnose on a road trip! Here's some of the stuff I bought.

Note: Prices are a bit mushy (I paid a bit less than what I'm listing) as there was a lot of impromtu haggling on entire lots. I actually made two visits (and three trips) due to my mom wanting to see the stuff... and being later in the day on the second visit, they made me some offers on some stuff that couldn't be refused!

The first item of interest is a QuickFill Vacuum Coolant filler and radiator tester ($30):

Made in Austrailia... Never heard or seen one of these, it uses compressed air and a venturri to put a cooling system under vacuum (be sure to pinch off the overflow hose!). The side hose and valve allows one to use the vacuum to pull coolant from a jug using the vacuum. They also had a "proper" Matco pressure tester set, but I didn't have the asked $85 in toy money for such (not to mention such was well used and I dunno if seal kits are available from Matco). Still, it's a unique tool indeed and at least gives me some sort of coolant leak testing ability

Speaking of cooling systems, I picked up a combustion gas detector kit for $3:

(Also pictured: A large framing/fabrication square for $1, and a bent but super, super long phillips screw driver for $2)

I already have more of the juice for one of those... but last time I needed one, I rented it. This one is nice since it uses engine vacuum instead of an annoying hand bulb to pull in coolant gases.

Next up, I bought an upgraded fuel pressure gauge set ($10), this one being a Matco:

Sure beats the complete junk one from HF I had... it leaks internally (gauge fills with gas) and honestly I should have returned it.

As shown, it had a crapload of goodies hidden inside that I didn't notice until I got it home... those being a spare Ford EEC relay, a primitive OBD1 code test light (with hookups for Ford, GM, and AMC of all things), and a Matco fuel injector pulser. And every fuel pressure adapter known to man it seems.

But the pick of the litter has to be this item they admittedly had no idea on... for $10, a well optioned OTC Pathfinder OBD1/OBDII scan tool:

Those adapters are both for GM ALDL, one to OBDII (for the smattering of 1995 GM models with OBDII connectors but ALDL signalling), the other to some other GM standard.

Bonus points to whoever can tell me what this plug is for... some sort of ABS?

It had two EEC cables (Along with two ALDL's and a Chrysler plug)... the only one that worked on my 1984 is the red one powered from alligator clips (the one that plugs into one of the two cigarette lighter powered cables didn't work). Funny, it's a "Ford III" cable and says that it must be used with 1994+ software... but the only cartridge with pre-1989 support is the 1993 Pathfinder II cartridge, which worked just fine.

I did break it though... pin 25 of the main unit's DB25 connector snapped off. Upon a teardown, it's an oddly long connector which is difficult (and expensive) to find due to being an obsolete Amphenol part (0.500" from the connector flange to the solder anchors). Didn't find the exact right one on Digikey, and no other electronics suppliers had anything close. But I was able to get some hopefully "close enough" connectors on ebay... a lot of 49 of them! $28 shipped... if it works and you know somebody with an OTC 4000 scanner needing a new connector, I'm more than willing to share (and solder). For now, I jammed a bit of solid telephone wire in the broken pin's socket which works if you get the plug just right...

That scan tool I think may be the best deal I've gotten all year (excluding freebies)! Heck the software packs were going for $90 a hit on eBay... I've always wanted one of these, but never thought I'd get one that cheap... I hate to think how much the guy had in it. But it was his bread and butter I'm sure. I honestly feel a bit bad for getting it that cheap...

I won't be using the OBDII part much... between my phone (torque pro) and my Autel OBDII/ABS/SRS reader I'm good there unless there's some oddball early OBDII thing it supports that my Autel doesn't (the latter did detect and communicate with my 1995 Ranger's 4WABS module, so I'm good there!). But it's still a nice bit of automotive diagnostics history. The OBD1 stuff on the other hand is gold... Sure, it ain't no Snap-On Verus, but compared to my $30 innova light counter, there's no contest.

There were some large jars of screws and a large pan of bulbs and spark plugs in there. No pics... but if I find anything interesting in the jars, I'll reply. My wife scored too... her "surprise" was a box of 24+ scarves she haggled to $5 (as opposed to 50 cents per)... hidden at the bottom was a cashmere one! She also had a good day!

One final item which my wife conned me into buying (and did require my Bullnose to haul!): for a much haggled/reduced $45, a propane grill with a full tank:

Note: This is not a good way to secure a grill! It fell forward on the way home. Should have reinstalled the tank as ballast... Oh well. No harm, no foul (other than the wind punching holes in the cover, it was worn out anyway).

Not a bad haul?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Estate Sale Tool Scores

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not a bad haul?  That was a STEAL!  As you said, the scanner is the pick of the litter, but the fuel pressure set is great as well.

That "QuickFill Vacuum Coolant filler and radiator tester" is something I've never seen.  Have you used it?  Sounds like you have with the comment about pinching off the overflow.  I'm intrigued, so can you tell us more?

And the rest of it is interesting as well.  You really got a deal.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Great scores! Nothing beats the feeling of a productive estate sale-ing day!!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
That "QuickFill Vacuum Coolant filler and radiator tester" is something I've never seen.  Have you used it?  Sounds like you have with the comment about pinching off the overflow.  I'm intrigued, so can you tell us more?
No I haven't... but knowing how it's built and how radiator caps work, I don't see that nozzle getting past the overflow stem (unless it's a really large radiator neck).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
This post was updated on .
Not only did you score with a bunch of great finds, you did it with the resurrected pickup running.

Edit:
ratdude747 wrote
My mom sent me the info and of course that was a good excuse to take my Bullnose on a road trip! Here's some of the stuff I bought.
And, let us not forget, you scored AGAIN (the best score) with a GREAT MOM!

The next time you visit her please take her a bouquet and add a card thanking her, and telling her what a great Mom you have!

For your wife, its good to read that she scored too. "A happy wife is a happy life".
What a team!

-= John =-
(wish I could find even one of those estate sale items)
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"