Bullnose Forums

Website & Forum Suggestion Box

It started again:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1140986/thumbnail/garysgmbbmenufail.jpg

The first page or 2 today loaded normally (the menu appeared, and then rolled up on its own), but since then, it has been doing this (no X to close it - I have to jiggle the scroll wheel) on several pages. Any time I scroll the page up, the menu automatically drops down again. When I scroll down a few lines, the menu rolls up.

Steve - That's strange. I've seen some odd things, but not that one. What machine and browser? Still the Win 7/Chrome combo? If so, how about doing a Control - to decrease the zoom slightly? I've had some oddities with different zoom settings and wonder if this is associated with that. In my case decreasing the zoom fixed it - but I have no idea why.

Anyway, if we can figure out what is causing it or a way to get out of it maybe we can solve it.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve - That's strange. I've seen some odd things, but not that one. What machine and browser? Still the Win 7/Chrome combo? If so, how about doing a Control - to decrease the zoom slightly? I've had some oddities with different zoom settings and wonder if this is associated with that. In my case decreasing the zoom fixed it - but I have no idea why.

Anyway, if we can figure out what is causing it or a way to get out of it maybe we can solve it.

Always the same machine. Now, it's behaving right again - no changes. It might be my (crappy) internet connection. Sometimes, pages load partially. So maybe it's loading that menu, but skipping whatever rolls it up.

Always the same machine. Now, it's behaving right again - no changes. It might be my (crappy) internet connection. Sometimes, pages load partially. So maybe it's loading that menu, but skipping whatever rolls it up.

The internet issue might cause it to load the page part way. When it happens again, maybe do a refresh? Surely it would stop at a different spot?

The internet issue might cause it to load the page part way. When it happens again, maybe do a refresh? Surely it would stop at a different spot?

Something else VERY MINOR that I've noticed a few times: when I reply with several quotes (like in your bumper thread), I like to expand the reply box down so I can see more of what I'm blathering on about. But the page doesn't actually extend as the box occupies more space - the text of the post I'm replying to just gets pushed OFF THE PAGE. Sometimes, even the Post & Preview buttons get pushed off the page. The main scroll bar (for the page) stays where it is, so I can't scroll down more to see that text or the buttons; they're just gone, until I shrink the reply box back to its standard size.

Something else VERY MINOR that I've noticed a few times: when I reply with several quotes (like in your bumper thread), I like to expand the reply box down so I can see more of what I'm blathering on about. But the page doesn't actually extend as the box occupies more space - the text of the post I'm replying to just gets pushed OFF THE PAGE. Sometimes, even the Post & Preview buttons get pushed off the page. The main scroll bar (for the page) stays where it is, so I can't scroll down more to see that text or the buttons; they're just gone, until I shrink the reply box back to its standard size.

Steve - I've had that happen as well. Usually if I do a Control - it'll correct things.

I had a very similar thing happen yesterday when the Post and Preview buttons disappeared. But a quick Control - fixed it.

So, please try that when it happens and let me know. I can turn it in as a problem if I get some confirmation that others are seeing roughly the same thing.

Steve - I've had that happen as well. Usually if I do a Control - it'll correct things.

I had a very similar thing happen yesterday when the Post and Preview buttons disappeared. But a quick Control - fixed it.

So, please try that when it happens and let me know. I can turn it in as a problem if I get some confirmation that others are seeing roughly the same thing.

IDK what you mean by "doing a Control". If I refresh any page on your site, it goes forward to the home page of the forum. I still see the reply page I was on & the forum home in my "Back" pulldown, but if I go back, it only loads the forum home every time. (I always browse by reading a thread, posting sometimes, and then using the browser BACK to return to the forum page.)

The page size limit happens on EVERY reply page I've tried to enlarge the reply box on. Every time.

BTW

The top menu weirdness has changed... Right now, it's rolling down like before; but today it has the 3 bars for the menu. If I click them, it rolls down again from the rolled-down menu, giving me all the same menu choices again (but laid out slightly differently) and an X. Clicking the X rolls up the 2nd menu, but I still have to scroll to get the first one gone.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1141064/thumbnail/garysgmbbmenumenufail.jpg

I haven't tried scrolling with both down.

In any case, this is NOT a big problem, so DON'T let it take you away from other priorities.

...and now the top menu is back to normal.

IDK what you mean by "doing a Control". If I refresh any page on your site, it goes forward to the home page of the forum. I still see the reply page I was on & the forum home in my "Back" pulldown, but if I go back, it only loads the forum home every time. (I always browse by reading a thread, posting sometimes, and then using the browser BACK to return to the forum page.)

The page size limit happens on EVERY reply page I've tried to enlarge the reply box on. Every time.

BTW

The top menu weirdness has changed... Right now, it's rolling down like before; but today it has the 3 bars for the menu. If I click them, it rolls down again from the rolled-down menu, giving me all the same menu choices again (but laid out slightly differently) and an X. Clicking the X rolls up the 2nd menu, but I still have to scroll to get the first one gone.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1141064/thumbnail/garysgmbbmenumenufail.jpg

I haven't tried scrolling with both down.

In any case, this is NOT a big problem, so DON'T let it take you away from other priorities.

...and now the top menu is back to normal.

If you hit the Control key and the "+" key at the same time the screen zooms in. If you hit Control and "-" it zooms out. When things have happened to me where I can't see the Post or Preview buttons they come back into view by zooming out - but I haven't tried in.

On enlarging the reply box, if it happens every time for you then you can try the zoom trick. See if it makes a difference. Perhaps we can figure out what is going on, or at least give the programmers enough data to find it.

As for the menu, what zoom ratio are you using? Can you try another one and see if it changes?

If you hit the Control key and the "+" key at the same time the screen zooms in. If you hit Control and "-" it zooms out. When things have happened to me where I can't see the Post or Preview buttons they come back into view by zooming out - but I haven't tried in.

On enlarging the reply box, if it happens every time for you then you can try the zoom trick. See if it makes a difference. Perhaps we can figure out what is going on, or at least give the programmers enough data to find it.

As for the menu, what zoom ratio are you using? Can you try another one and see if it changes?

Yes, zooming the page (I use CTRL+mouse wheel) causes it to show the whole page again when returning to 100% (where I always browse): enlarged reply box, and buttons, and the post I'm replying to. If I then shrink the reply box, the page stays enlarged.

Does something different happen when you enlarge the reply box?

The menu is behaving normally now - I'll try to remember to zoom next time it acts up.

Yes, zooming the page (I use CTRL+mouse wheel) causes it to show the whole page again when returning to 100% (where I always browse): enlarged reply box, and buttons, and the post I'm replying to. If I then shrink the reply box, the page stays enlarged.

Does something different happen when you enlarge the reply box?

The menu is behaving normally now - I'll try to remember to zoom next time it acts up.

I wish I knew why that happens, but will turn it in to the programmers.

And, let me know what happens when you try it if/when the menu messes up.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I wish I knew why that happens, but will turn it in to the programmers.

And, let me know what happens when you try it if/when the menu messes up.

Thanks.

I did not go thru all 6 pages but .........

I found the uses map but for the life of me I could not figure out how to add "my pin" to the map.

Anything I found said I needed to make a map then I could add to it?

I don't want or need a map I just wanted to add "me" to your map.

So for this vary simple person can you spell it out for me?

Thanks

Dave ----