Bullnose Forums

Website & Forum Suggestion Box

I dont know how you get the menus to pop up to the right?

In that screen shot you have the menu to the left

Ammeter

Electricity 099

EVTM

ETC.....

If you click on the "EVTM" it would send me back to the main forum page.

I would get to it by clicking on the 3 lines top left corner> Documentation> Electrical> Ammeter

and get that menu on the left. Click EVTM and get to main forum page.

Dave ----

Oh! I see what you are saying. The menu you are seeing is on the Ammeter page, and is out of date. Badly out of date. Back when I created it we only have one EVTM so I was able to create a link to it. But now we have several so there's no "EVTM" page. I deleted it.

But I really need to spend some time and take those old menus off the pages they are on.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! I see what you are saying. The menu you are seeing is on the Ammeter page, and is out of date. Badly out of date. Back when I created it we only have one EVTM so I was able to create a link to it. But now we have several so there's no "EVTM" page. I deleted it.

But I really need to spend some time and take those old menus off the pages they are on.

That link could not be pointed to the page with the different year EVTM on them like if you went right to the EVTM page from think electrical?

What ever is easy for you just thought it was nice you could get to it.

Dave ----

That link could not be pointed to the page with the different year EVTM on them like if you went right to the EVTM page from think electrical?

What ever is easy for you just thought it was nice you could get to it.

Dave ----

The menus at the top of the page were an early attempt at making things easy for the user. But that was when the website had 50 pages. It now has over 550 pages and many, if not most, of those menus are way out of date.

I abandoned that approach when I realized that I'd have to edit everyone of those menus each time I added a page. So now I'm deleting them when I edit that page.

The menus at the top of the page were an early attempt at making things easy for the user. But that was when the website had 50 pages. It now has over 550 pages and many, if not most, of those menus are way out of date.

I abandoned that approach when I realized that I'd have to edit everyone of those menus each time I added a page. So now I'm deleting them when I edit that page.

Would you consider a Wiki instead of a hand-maintained menu system? You'd still have the ability to moderate posts but I think it would take some burden off you personally if you could just oversee things, instead of having to hand-create those pages and keep them up to date...

Would you consider a Wiki instead of a hand-maintained menu system? You'd still have the ability to moderate posts but I think it would take some burden off you personally if you could just oversee things, instead of having to hand-create those pages and keep them up to date...

Let me explain what we have and then maybe you can explain what you have in mind with a wiki.

• Originally: On each page of a section, like Electrical or Underhood, I manually created a menu at the top which showed all of the other pages in the section. That was because on many of the pages it was likely you'd want to go to another one of those pages.

• Better Tools: As the host, Weebly, evolved they brought in new tools, one of which was tabs. That allowed me to consolidate several pages in a section to one page and the tabs allow the user to go from, say, Illustrations to Part Numbers. So the need for the manually-generated menu waned, but I didn't remove it wholesale so it became out of date as I added new pages or consolidated one page into another.

So I now do not see the need for the manually-generated menu and should spend some time to remove them. However, I'm interested in what you are thinking about a wiki.

• 1 month later...

Let me explain what we have and then maybe you can explain what you have in mind with a wiki.

• Originally: On each page of a section, like Electrical or Underhood, I manually created a menu at the top which showed all of the other pages in the section. That was because on many of the pages it was likely you'd want to go to another one of those pages.

• Better Tools: As the host, Weebly, evolved they brought in new tools, one of which was tabs. That allowed me to consolidate several pages in a section to one page and the tabs allow the user to go from, say, Illustrations to Part Numbers. So the need for the manually-generated menu waned, but I didn't remove it wholesale so it became out of date as I added new pages or consolidated one page into another.

So I now do not see the need for the manually-generated menu and should spend some time to remove them. However, I'm interested in what you are thinking about a wiki.

Another from the PITA :nabble_smiley_wink:

The last few days I have seen where you check a post out be it "new members' or projects" or what ever when you move to a different post either with in that area or different area it dose not mark it as read.

Let's say Friday I read all the new postings so they should have changed from (in my case) blue to maroon so I know I have looked it over.

Then when I come back like today (Sunday) I know where I left off as I can see the maroon old posts I have read and the blue new posts that came in after the last time.

I have logged off and back on a few times and even not had the site loaded for a day or 2 and the same thing.

It just makes it hard to figure where I left off with in a post to catch up.

Now typing this I just thought I have not checked if this happens with my phone, On my PC old windows and chrome, and will give it a try to see but it is hard to follow this site on my phone and why I have not checked yet.

I just did not know if something was "upgraded" and why this now happens or if on my end with this old laptop.

Dave ----

Another from the PITA :nabble_smiley_wink:

The last few days I have seen where you check a post out be it "new members' or projects" or what ever when you move to a different post either with in that area or different area it dose not mark it as read.

Let's say Friday I read all the new postings so they should have changed from (in my case) blue to maroon so I know I have looked it over.

Then when I come back like today (Sunday) I know where I left off as I can see the maroon old posts I have read and the blue new posts that came in after the last time.

I have logged off and back on a few times and even not had the site loaded for a day or 2 and the same thing.

It just makes it hard to figure where I left off with in a post to catch up.

Now typing this I just thought I have not checked if this happens with my phone, On my PC old windows and chrome, and will give it a try to see but it is hard to follow this site on my phone and why I have not checked yet.

I just did not know if something was "upgraded" and why this now happens or if on my end with this old laptop.

Dave ----

As far as I know, Dave, nothing was upgraded. And I've not moved anything in the last two weeks. So I'm curious to see what you find.

As far as I know, Dave, nothing was upgraded. And I've not moved anything in the last two weeks. So I'm curious to see what you find.

My phone looks to be doing the same thing :nabble_anim_confused:

Maybe its time for a router dump / reboot?

I did not try the phone when not on WiFi will try it when I think of it.

Thanks Gary for letting me know

Dave Grant

• 1 month later...

Hi Gary,

Not sure if this is normal or not so I thought I would ask:

When reading posts, as I stroll down, the "HEADER" comes down and covers the previous posts up and you can not read the previous post. Is this normal?

Hi Gary,

Not sure if this is normal or not so I thought I would ask:

When reading posts, as I stroll down, the "HEADER" comes down and covers the previous posts up and you can not read the previous post. Is this normal?

It is normal, although not a feature I like - assuming it goes away if you scroll back up a couple of clicks. Right?