Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4x4 400 Tall Boy Project

Clex

..... kinda confused on how to identify which stuff I need like for example the cap/rotor some come with duraspark 1 or 2, I have no idea at the moment how to check what version it would be. Been looking through the website on different stuff just not 100% if I'm in the right direction. I have been going to auto stores around here quite a bit but I've yet to get someone that seems to know what is going on, and get me steered in the right direction on this.

How should I have replied?

You replied correctly. I'm just providing background info on why I'm pretty sure he'll say "Yep, 2 plugs and a blue grommet."

Had it been a Windsor it would probably have had 3 plugs and a brown grommet, although that varied by location and application.

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time away, figured I'd give an update since life has been a wild ride for me.

Finally got around to getting back into the this truck this summer, ended up doing the entire brake system with new everything, including wheel bearings since it all had to come off anyways. Learned a lot I'm pretty fluent in these brakes now so that's a huge plus. Just got it off the jack stands this past weekend.

PXL_20240824_181242063.jpg.cc4c14a411960ce98f4361dfff453084.jpg

Moving onto a good tune up, new plugs, wires, coil, cap/rotor etc. parts should be arriving hopefully this week for the long weekend. (Especially since I tried taking off one of the plug wires off and it disintegrated in my hands)

Also working on replacing the old vacuum lines and making sure everything is in order for smog since I'm located in CA. Bit of a rats nest going on with the vacuum but almost everything seems to be in place other then the AIR BPV and possibly the SA-FV (not sure what these are supposed to look like at the moment) Also still have the yellow sticker on the left cover so I need to figure out how to decode that for whatever it represents.

PXL_20240328_034937444_(1).jpg.754ae2965bebdf7b8ecb08792b3e1c08.jpg

PXL_20240827_025858292.jpg.80a4f69d2a8e71e5e6892b86c2d9c9a5.jpg

Messenger_creation_C284346F-839F-4DE3-8860-760D8845FB1F.png.6473f99927ca583586bce527faae3e32.png

Long time away, figured I'd give an update since life has been a wild ride for me.

Finally got around to getting back into the this truck this summer, ended up doing the entire brake system with new everything, including wheel bearings since it all had to come off anyways. Learned a lot I'm pretty fluent in these brakes now so that's a huge plus. Just got it off the jack stands this past weekend.

Moving onto a good tune up, new plugs, wires, coil, cap/rotor etc. parts should be arriving hopefully this week for the long weekend. (Especially since I tried taking off one of the plug wires off and it disintegrated in my hands)

Also working on replacing the old vacuum lines and making sure everything is in order for smog since I'm located in CA. Bit of a rats nest going on with the vacuum but almost everything seems to be in place other then the AIR BPV and possibly the SA-FV (not sure what these are supposed to look like at the moment) Also still have the yellow sticker on the left cover so I need to figure out how to decode that for whatever it represents.

The yellow sticker on the valve cover has the ewissions calibration data.

With that, we can provide specifics about levels and exact part numbers .

Perhaps you'll find this manual helpful? https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/understanding-emissions-controls.html

ISWYDT, Jim. :nabble_smiley_wink:

From the two labels I can see that the calibration must be 9-73J-R12, and that agrees with the first snippet from the MPC. Which then leads us to Parts List #56, which is shown in the 2nd snippet.

Calibration_Code_1980_F350_California.thumb.jpg.3663059510a7c779ee1f2591e57b0fbf.jpg

Calibration_Code_56.thumb.jpg.96b32e8478f84b7145455f1c4539ef9b.jpg

ISWYDT, Jim. :nabble_smiley_wink:

From the two labels I can see that the calibration must be 9-73J-R12, and that agrees with the first snippet from the MPC. Which then leads us to Parts List #56, which is shown in the 2nd snippet.

Thanks guys! I got some reading and verifying to do now

Unfortunately, my AllData only goes back to 1982, so I can't even give you a diagram.

Its a shame it doesn't go back past 1982, no worries though.

Had a question for this parts list sheet, when it refers to part numbers and gives the number, on some underneath it has a * for example "D8BZ 9B289-B *CX-291" what are they referencing to with those numbers.

Another question is the descriptions for parts they have different numbers, are they referring to parts interchangeable for the application described or the part number section is what ford used to order and the actual number on the part would be what is in the description?

*Edit* Also between my vacuum hose diagram and the calibration page I'm looking at two intertwined things such as the AIR BPV is shown on my vacuum diagram and the calibration page but the Thermactor(Smog Pump?) is on the calibration page but not on my vacuum diagram. I was going off just the vacuum diagram which doesn't show it but now cross referencing with this calibration page its calling for the Thermactor. Figured I was lucky on having non catalyst not having to do as much for this. I have to read up on that emissions book and go down to a wrecking yard

Its a shame it doesn't go back past 1982, no worries though.

Had a question for this parts list sheet, when it refers to part numbers and gives the number, on some underneath it has a * for example "D8BZ 9B289-B *CX-291" what are they referencing to with those numbers.

Another question is the descriptions for parts they have different numbers, are they referring to parts interchangeable for the application described or the part number section is what ford used to order and the actual number on the part would be what is in the description?

*Edit* Also between my vacuum hose diagram and the calibration page I'm looking at two intertwined things such as the AIR BPV is shown on my vacuum diagram and the calibration page but the Thermactor(Smog Pump?) is on the calibration page but not on my vacuum diagram. I was going off just the vacuum diagram which doesn't show it but now cross referencing with this calibration page its calling for the Thermactor. Figured I was lucky on having non catalyst not having to do as much for this. I have to read up on that emissions book and go down to a wrecking yard

*CX-291 would be the Motorcraft number.

Same exact part, just that you could get a Motorcraft part at a parts store, not only the dealer.

99% of the time the Ford dealer is stocking Motorcraft, but it doesn't fit with the Ford convention of decade, year, division, group, basic number & engineering revision.

And there's no need to look in the MPC to decipher an engineering number found ON a part into an ACTUAL part number that can be bought or ordered.

A Motorcraft number is the same. On the box. On the part itself. In the catalog. On the invoice....

Right. The description is the number found ON a part (AKA engineering number) but you can't order that #, because it isn't a PART number! :nabble_anim_crazy:. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

The pump itself isn't controlled by vacuum, so it isn't in the vacuum diagram.

The thermactor pump feeds the bypass valve, and the bypass valve is switched by vacuum, so it shows in the diagram.

Just like the air cleaner itself isn't shown, but the cold weather modulator and the vacuum motor in the snorkel are on the diagram.

You need a pump that has 'X' attachment configuration, and moves 'Y' amount of air per revolution, so the calibration table (56) lists the specific pump you need.

But it's not a source of vacuum, controlling vacuum, or operated BY vacuum....

This may be confusing, but I hope it helps.

*CX-291 would be the Motorcraft number.

Same exact part, just that you could get a Motorcraft part at a parts store, not only the dealer.

99% of the time the Ford dealer is stocking Motorcraft, but it doesn't fit with the Ford convention of decade, year, division, group, basic number & engineering revision.

And there's no need to look in the MPC to decipher an engineering number found ON a part into an ACTUAL part number that can be bought or ordered.

A Motorcraft number is the same. On the box. On the part itself. In the catalog. On the invoice....

Right. The description is the number found ON a part (AKA engineering number) but you can't order that #, because it isn't a PART number! :nabble_anim_crazy:. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

The pump itself isn't controlled by vacuum, so it isn't in the vacuum diagram.

The thermactor pump feeds the bypass valve, and the bypass valve is switched by vacuum, so it shows in the diagram.

Just like the air cleaner itself isn't shown, but the cold weather modulator and the vacuum motor in the snorkel are on the diagram.

You need a pump that has 'X' attachment configuration, and moves 'Y' amount of air per revolution, so the calibration table (56) lists the specific pump you need.

But it's not a source of vacuum, controlling vacuum, or operated BY vacuum....

This may be confusing, but I hope it helps.

Thanks a ton Jim, clears some fuzzy areas that I'm learning. This entire thing is confusing to me but it's getting me in the right direction 👍