Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Thanks Cory. I'll look over that. Again, I don't have any expertise and limited experience but I am very interested in the topic so hopefully that counts for something :nabble_smiley_wink:

I found my video of the 80w fan. It maxed around 1400 cfm. This was installed in the truck and the passenger side fan.

Just did the test with the passenger side Spal. It topped at 2050.

Numbers looking even more significant when looking at the potential cfm of both fans: 2800 vs 4100

Wanted to show the clearance as well. Screen grab of the video so not a super clear picture but shows it well enough. Even if the belts, pulleys, and fan motor were actually aligned horizontally like the picture makes it appear, there is still plenty of room.

Those are impressive numbers!

I'd still look at pwm speed control.

At some point you just can't shed any more heat through the aluminum, and slower air flow may reduce boundary layer effect.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are impressive numbers!

I'd still look at pwm speed control.

At some point you just can't shed any more heat through the aluminum, and slower air flow may reduce boundary layer effect.

I agree, Jim. But I'm also thinking about the day-to-day operation where just a bit of fan is needed and not 100% of one much less both. For instance, when we took Big Blue out the other day it was about 90F and we were running the A/C, but as we drove the temp stayed at 186F - except for when we got stopped at road construction with a one-lane road and a timed light.

We sat there for maybe 5 minutes and I watched the temp come up to the high 190's and was thinking that maybe the idle air adder based on ECT would kick in and spin the fan faster. But it is set to 0 at 214F, goes to 176 at 220F, and then 304 at 230F, so never came into play.

Anyway, that is the kind of situation where PWM would work nicely. You could spin one fan at maybe 50% any time the A/C compressor is in, and then bring it on up smoothly as the ECT comes up until you need the 2nd fan.

I agree, Jim. But I'm also thinking about the day-to-day operation where just a bit of fan is needed and not 100% of one much less both. For instance, when we took Big Blue out the other day it was about 90F and we were running the A/C, but as we drove the temp stayed at 186F - except for when we got stopped at road construction with a one-lane road and a timed light.

We sat there for maybe 5 minutes and I watched the temp come up to the high 190's and was thinking that maybe the idle air adder based on ECT would kick in and spin the fan faster. But it is set to 0 at 214F, goes to 176 at 220F, and then 304 at 230F, so never came into play.

Anyway, that is the kind of situation where PWM would work nicely. You could spin one fan at maybe 50% any time the A/C compressor is in, and then bring it on up smoothly as the ECT comes up until you need the 2nd fan.

I also agree and Derale 16797 looks promising. May go for a year or so on this setup and then upgrade to that.

The multi-function relay didn't work out. Was a bit too large for where I wanted it.

Ended up running a fused always on wire to the fan controller and calling it good. Just for the benefit of cooling down after ignition off. The ignition switched wire is still there if I decide to go back to it though. I changed the 3 terminal connector to a 4 so can just move the fan controller trigger wire between terminals and get switched vs always on.

Checked the draw of the controller and it's not enough to worry about but will monitor it for awhile.

Planning to take the truck on a couple hour drive to be an extra in a 1993 based movie soon so will see how the temp does.

I also agree and Derale 16797 looks promising. May go for a year or so on this setup and then upgrade to that.

The multi-function relay didn't work out. Was a bit too large for where I wanted it.

Ended up running a fused always on wire to the fan controller and calling it good. Just for the benefit of cooling down after ignition off. The ignition switched wire is still there if I decide to go back to it though. I changed the 3 terminal connector to a 4 so can just move the fan controller trigger wire between terminals and get switched vs always on.

Checked the draw of the controller and it's not enough to worry about but will monitor it for awhile.

Planning to take the truck on a couple hour drive to be an extra in a 1993 based movie soon so will see how the temp does.

Extra in a movie? Cool! I'll have to see it. :nabble_smiley_good:

I like that Derale controller. It looks like what I'd want, and would want to add the override for the A/C system.

I like that Derale controller. It looks like what I'd want, and would want to add the override for the A/C system.

That is cool! Let us know how the movie and cooling system goes.

My truck wasn't explicitly asked for or anything like that but my cousin's church is making a movie out in Kansas where they need some people/families for extras and requested 1993 or older vehicles for the parking lot.

Now if only I could fill the tank at 1993 prices.

My truck wasn't explicitly asked for or anything like that but my cousin's church is making a movie out in Kansas where they need some people/families for extras and requested 1993 or older vehicles for the parking lot.

Now if only I could fill the tank at 1993 prices.

How far "out in Kansas"? If I remember what I was taught in grade school, my home state is roughly 200 miles by 400 miles, so it could be a loooooong ways. And even at Big Blue's newly-discovered efficiency that is a lot of gas. :nabble_smiley_oh:

How far "out in Kansas"? If I remember what I was taught in grade school, my home state is roughly 200 miles by 400 miles, so it could be a loooooong ways. And even at Big Blue's newly-discovered efficiency that is a lot of gas. :nabble_smiley_oh:

It's in Riverton so not too far into Kansas at all.

If you want to break the efi in even more you both should come!

It's in Riverton so not too far into Kansas at all.

If you want to break the efi in even more you both should come!

That's about half way 'tween us. And close to Big Brutus, although I'm not going to make it to the overlanding rally this year as we have the twins coming to see us exactly then.

But Big Blue is going to my home town, Ark City, for Memorial day. That's a 200 mile round trip, so the EFI will get tested plenty. Want my brother to get to drive it, and since we go up to decorate graves we'll take it.

That's about half way 'tween us. And close to Big Brutus, although I'm not going to make it to the overlanding rally this year as we have the twins coming to see us exactly then.

But Big Blue is going to my home town, Ark City, for Memorial day. That's a 200 mile round trip, so the EFI will get tested plenty. Want my brother to get to drive it, and since we go up to decorate graves we'll take it.

Looking forward to seeing your data after that trip!