Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Got a couple things done this weekend.

First, I know there are tons of people dying to know but yes, you can powder coat your wiper motor.

Disassembly and reassembly wasn't bad (the magnets were the most time consuming part). Now I need to hook it up to Chanute to test.

The big relief was getting the blend door upgraded. I was really dreading tearing up the one in Camano since it was all together (minus the foam which was long gone) but then I remembered I had an assembly from another 86 on a shelf which did have the hinge split. Took that one apart and started going to town. The how-to on FTE for this is extremely well done. I really followed it with only some very minor changes.

If you have your dash apart I highly recommend doing this. The final outcome is well worth it.

Just some comments relating to the how-to from my experience:

1. I didn't need to modify both legs of the hinge. I did one but then I just flipped the other over and it put the centerline really close to stock.

2. The slight bend mentioned looks normal and when dryfitting it, the bend conforms to the housing so it seals uniformly. I was going to add an aluminum support to the leading edge to prevent this bend permanently until I noticed this.

3. You can use the same 3/16 foam all around - even on the hinge. Mine had uniform pressure all around with this.

4. On the side opposite the arm attachment point, I filled it all in with the foam. My thought process was that when in dash mode, the air flows across this so this removes one of the edges the air could catch on and hopefully reduce the risk of the foam peeling up there.

5. My utmost respect goes to anyone that does this while the unit is still in the dash. Even having it on a bench with the ability to dry fit it, it took some finagling to get the door in and out so I can just imagine doing that blind.

That wiper motor looks wicked!

I'm anxious to start cleaning up items like this to make my engine bay prettier. Well done.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a couple things done this weekend.

First, I know there are tons of people dying to know but yes, you can powder coat your wiper motor.

Disassembly and reassembly wasn't bad (the magnets were the most time consuming part). Now I need to hook it up to Chanute to test.

The big relief was getting the blend door upgraded. I was really dreading tearing up the one in Camano since it was all together (minus the foam which was long gone) but then I remembered I had an assembly from another 86 on a shelf which did have the hinge split. Took that one apart and started going to town. The how-to on FTE for this is extremely well done. I really followed it with only some very minor changes.

If you have your dash apart I highly recommend doing this. The final outcome is well worth it.

Just some comments relating to the how-to from my experience:

1. I didn't need to modify both legs of the hinge. I did one but then I just flipped the other over and it put the centerline really close to stock.

2. The slight bend mentioned looks normal and when dryfitting it, the bend conforms to the housing so it seals uniformly. I was going to add an aluminum support to the leading edge to prevent this bend permanently until I noticed this.

3. You can use the same 3/16 foam all around - even on the hinge. Mine had uniform pressure all around with this.

4. On the side opposite the arm attachment point, I filled it all in with the foam. My thought process was that when in dash mode, the air flows across this so this removes one of the edges the air could catch on and hopefully reduce the risk of the foam peeling up there.

5. My utmost respect goes to anyone that does this while the unit is still in the dash. Even having it on a bench with the ability to dry fit it, it took some finagling to get the door in and out so I can just imagine doing that blind.

Wow! That wiper motor is pretty! I may have to try that. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the writeup on FTE, do you have the link? Do we have that link on here somewhere? Was that the one that Jonathan or Dave did? (I forget.)

Yes, it is a bear to do that on the vehicle. I've done it. But don't want to do it again.

On the writeup on FTE, do you have the link? Do we have that link on here somewhere? Was that the one that Jonathan or Dave did? (I forget.)

Yes, it is a bear to do that on the vehicle. I've done it. But don't want to do it again.

Nice!

I'm anxious to start cleaning up items like this to make my engine bay prettier. Well done.

Thanks. Gloss black with your blue would be a great looking combo!

Doing the wiper motor was more of a 'is it possible' venture and some curiosity to see how it all went together. Based on the end result though I would recommend it since you are setup for coating already.

There weren't any real gotcha's - I used some stainless button head (3mm) bolts and nyloc nuts to hold the plug on since they have to be low profile on the backside to prevent hitting against the plastic gears. Then it was a 4mm button head for the ground wire (hidden under the motor cover). There are a couple clips that hold the magnets in place inside the cover and to get them snapped back in, I just used some long needle nose pliers and pried outwards.

Now fair warning that the same can not be done on the factory blower motor :nabble_smiley_happy:

It apparently wasn't made to be easily disassembled with the plans of reassembly and the magnets are glued on (very well...) which prevents it from surviving the oven. So stick to just painting that one. Aftermarket ones maybe?

Looks like Karl did this one - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486377-how-to-repair-the-ac-vent-door-hinge.html

He does a really good job of documenting the process.

Thanks. Gloss black with your blue would be a great looking combo!

Doing the wiper motor was more of a 'is it possible' venture and some curiosity to see how it all went together. Based on the end result though I would recommend it since you are setup for coating already.

There weren't any real gotcha's - I used some stainless button head (3mm) bolts and nyloc nuts to hold the plug on since they have to be low profile on the backside to prevent hitting against the plastic gears. Then it was a 4mm button head for the ground wire (hidden under the motor cover). There are a couple clips that hold the magnets in place inside the cover and to get them snapped back in, I just used some long needle nose pliers and pried outwards.

Now fair warning that the same can not be done on the factory blower motor :nabble_smiley_happy:

It apparently wasn't made to be easily disassembled with the plans of reassembly and the magnets are glued on (very well...) which prevents it from surviving the oven. So stick to just painting that one. Aftermarket ones maybe?

Looks like Karl did this one - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486377-how-to-repair-the-ac-vent-door-hinge.html

He does a really good job of documenting the process.

At this point I am mainly just waiting to get the truck back from the body/paint shop.

My XMat came in (picked up 2 low profile boxes and 2 light boxes) that should be enough to cover all I am planning on doing.

Also my Ultramat dash cover came in. For what it is, I am happy with it. It forms fits really well. I decided to go with this version since a lot of reviewers said they didn't need to use the velcro. I believe it after seeing it and sitting it on the dash pad although the slits for the defrost look like they will cause the cover to lift up or float when defrost is used if the velcro isn't used. Will have to test that later...much later. I plan on only using this for daily driving and removing for shows so hoping I don't have to use the velcro.

IMG_20190830_213753.jpg.3b9bb07e3cb53fc14f584fc3508469f0.jpg

IMG_20190830_213921.thumb.jpg.f84162c2aa30303e8b5d8c65ab5cf229.jpg

This week I did finish up cleaning and refinishing the engine side hvac box. I removed the fresh air door as the foam was starting to deteriorate at the bottom and rust was forming. The one from Camano had a rust hole in the bottom of it so I pulled the door from a spare unit, scraped all the foam off, powdercoated it and all of the hardware (rod, washers, retaining washer) and reapplied the same camper foam I used for the blend door.

This is the junk door from Camano and the spare rod (that I also coated) just for reference:

IMG_20190830_130752.jpg.7c80c6d821992df39ebfd310a17f1c65.jpg

At this point I am mainly just waiting to get the truck back from the body/paint shop.

My XMat came in (picked up 2 low profile boxes and 2 light boxes) that should be enough to cover all I am planning on doing.

Also my Ultramat dash cover came in. For what it is, I am happy with it. It forms fits really well. I decided to go with this version since a lot of reviewers said they didn't need to use the velcro. I believe it after seeing it and sitting it on the dash pad although the slits for the defrost look like they will cause the cover to lift up or float when defrost is used if the velcro isn't used. Will have to test that later...much later. I plan on only using this for daily driving and removing for shows so hoping I don't have to use the velcro.

This week I did finish up cleaning and refinishing the engine side hvac box. I removed the fresh air door as the foam was starting to deteriorate at the bottom and rust was forming. The one from Camano had a rust hole in the bottom of it so I pulled the door from a spare unit, scraped all the foam off, powdercoated it and all of the hardware (rod, washers, retaining washer) and reapplied the same camper foam I used for the blend door.

This is the junk door from Camano and the spare rod (that I also coated) just for reference:

Don't know much about the Ultramat. Will have to check that out to see what it is. But Vernon sent Big Blue with one of the Coverlay covers, so I'm pretty sure I'll use that.

Powder coated HVAC parts? INTERNAL HVAC parts. Wow, there's no competition. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Seriously though, that truck is going to last forever!

Don't know much about the Ultramat. Will have to check that out to see what it is. But Vernon sent Big Blue with one of the Coverlay covers, so I'm pretty sure I'll use that.

Powder coated HVAC parts? INTERNAL HVAC parts. Wow, there's no competition. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Seriously though, that truck is going to last forever!

I'll have to check out the Coverlay on the 21st - I've always wondered how they fit and look.

As bad as rust is around here and since this will be a rain or shine daily driver I figure anything I can do to delay it is time well spent.

This was mentioned over on FTE by Dave I believe but Detroit Muscle makes a very nice engine side hvac to firewall gasket. Mine came in today and while a gasket isn't all that exciting, the quality is excellent. Nice and thick.

IMG_20190906_164123.thumb.jpg.3692d837635c604325a49361f03ef221.jpg

I'll have to check out the Coverlay on the 21st - I've always wondered how they fit and look.

As bad as rust is around here and since this will be a rain or shine daily driver I figure anything I can do to delay it is time well spent.

This was mentioned over on FTE by Dave I believe but Detroit Muscle makes a very nice engine side hvac to firewall gasket. Mine came in today and while a gasket isn't all that exciting, the quality is excellent. Nice and thick.

It was most likely me as I used them for a gasket kit for my 70 AMC Javelin heater box.

If you go to their and don't see listed what you are looking for give them a call as they may have it but not listed.

Also if they don't have that part and you have one to make a copy from they can. I also heard if you can send them the part(s) they can work with them to make the needed gaskets.

This way they would then have that part and you may get a discount for helping.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

It was most likely me as I used them for a gasket kit for my 70 AMC Javelin heater box.

If you go to their and don't see listed what you are looking for give them a call as they may have it but not listed.

Also if they don't have that part and you have one to make a copy from they can. I also heard if you can send them the part(s) they can work with them to make the needed gaskets.

This way they would then have that part and you may get a discount for helping.

Dave ----

Started taking the rear bumper apart today. Removed the arms for prep and coating.

Anyone ever heard of someone grinding off the rivets for the step/tongue hole center piece?

Planning to start on that tonight. Avoiding too much heat is the only consideration I can think of.

Any color suggestions for it? Been doing gloss black for everything underneath but not sure I want this part to stand out and shine. The receiver hitch is a textured flat black coating.

Debated having the body shop paint it the body accent color but not sure about that either. Main reason being the paint holding up to boots.

IMG_20190916_172611.thumb.jpg.6178dc627d4f7e5b3b36963f9b90a2d7.jpg

Started taking the rear bumper apart today. Removed the arms for prep and coating.

Anyone ever heard of someone grinding off the rivets for the step/tongue hole center piece?

Planning to start on that tonight. Avoiding too much heat is the only consideration I can think of.

Any color suggestions for it? Been doing gloss black for everything underneath but not sure I want this part to stand out and shine. The receiver hitch is a textured flat black coating.

Debated having the body shop paint it the body accent color but not sure about that either. Main reason being the paint holding up to boots.

No, I've not heard of anyone taking those rivets out, but I can understand why you'd want to do it.

What I don't understand is the question about what color to paint "the step/tongue hole center piece" and the comment about boots. I've not looked at Big Blue's hitch right there lately, but I don't think I ever step there.

Powder coat it?