Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Had a couple nasty days recently so decided to make a run to pickup some items I'd been watching on marketplace. No real plans for either at the moment.

Was nice to get out in the truck for a couple hours since I haven't been putting many miles on it lately.

My wife wants some decorations powder coated so needed to clear out the blasting cabinet. Which meant that the load sensing valve finally got coated. See here for more photos if interested

I wasn't really planning on reinstalling it but the new diff cover won't work with the mount anyways so it will go on the shelf.

I want to get it all reassembled though so nothing gets lost.

Should I rub the orings with brake fluid before reinstalling? Or something else?

Speaking of the diff cover, it finally arrived (see post in For Sale section for some discussion)

Hopefully will get it installed soon and change out the front diff fluid while I am at it.

Good finds from marketplace. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the load sensing valve's o-rings, I'd suggest brake fluid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good finds from marketplace. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the load sensing valve's o-rings, I'd suggest brake fluid.

Thanks Gary - that reminds me I need to put that lsv together...

*the following isn't necessarily truck related and if my wife's reaction is an indicator, is interesting to exactly one person on this planet.

Started a new TV series the other day so used that couch time to work on a little for-fun project.

I am a huge fan of the Metri-Pack 280 series. My main complaint is that the 4 terminal connectors are not stacked 2+2. That 4 wide is bulky and I believe, though never seen one for purchase, they even have 6 gangs that are still flat. :nabble_anim_confused:

Currently my trailer 7way receptacle is using two 4's stacked back to back and as trivial as it is, I just don't like it.

Well, enter the ssVEC boxes. The specialized connectors on those use the tanged 280 terminals but are 8 gangs. 4 + 4. The female connector is built into box and is essentially just a ring with a loop for the latch - it's not an actual standalone connector since the terminals are fixed in the box innards. Found this out by talking to the engineer and getting some samples of the rings.

This is the connector that plugs into the ssVEC

IMG_20201219_154015.jpg.8598bb3582dcda1bcd51d80a4caa23ac.jpg

This 8 gang would work great for the trailer wiring so took a stab at making my own male connector and woke up this morning to this on the printer.

IMG_20201219_101233.thumb.jpg.e8658550f8a27e78424b9ca29472d072.jpg

Is uses the same TPA (terminal position assurance) as the female. It accepts the tanged male terminals that lock in place.

IMG_20201219_101450.thumb.jpg.deec3401c2af1b89fe5b49564a4a0e85.jpgIMG_20201219_101348.jpg.2ec49a1fa551b6b97dc78c4f647e3908.jpg

This is just using pla so have some petg on order to make the final product in.

Thanks Gary - that reminds me I need to put that lsv together...

*the following isn't necessarily truck related and if my wife's reaction is an indicator, is interesting to exactly one person on this planet.

Started a new TV series the other day so used that couch time to work on a little for-fun project.

I am a huge fan of the Metri-Pack 280 series. My main complaint is that the 4 terminal connectors are not stacked 2+2. That 4 wide is bulky and I believe, though never seen one for purchase, they even have 6 gangs that are still flat. :nabble_anim_confused:

Currently my trailer 7way receptacle is using two 4's stacked back to back and as trivial as it is, I just don't like it.

Well, enter the ssVEC boxes. The specialized connectors on those use the tanged 280 terminals but are 8 gangs. 4 + 4. The female connector is built into box and is essentially just a ring with a loop for the latch - it's not an actual standalone connector since the terminals are fixed in the box innards. Found this out by talking to the engineer and getting some samples of the rings.

This is the connector that plugs into the ssVEC

This 8 gang would work great for the trailer wiring so took a stab at making my own male connector and woke up this morning to this on the printer.

Is uses the same TPA (terminal position assurance) as the female. It accepts the tanged male terminals that lock in place.

This is just using pla so have some petg on order to make the final product in.

You are WRONG! The audience is at least TWO! That may be the coolest thing I've seen printed. WOW! :nabble_anim_claps:

How did you draw it in order to print it? I am in AWE!

That is amazing to me!

Haha thanks guys. Glad it isn't just me. Not embarrassed to say that I think I could watch the printer work for the full 7 hours (for this print) and enjoy every minute of it.

Unfortunately there wasn't a pre-existing file for this one as the male connector is designed specifically for the ssvec, and maybe the multiplex(?), boxes rather than to be used as an inline harness connector.

The engineer is a great guy to talk to. He explained that the female connector wasn't a true connector and after learning that, I started drawing this one from scratch based on the male connector. The samples arrived last night and were just like he described: a ring with a layer of silicone for sealing the male terminals. The ssvec box snaps around them and they are held in place with a lip.

IMG_20201219_211455.jpg.29ac45dbdb4ef45bdcb095843100db73.jpg

Gary - for this I used Tinkercad by Autodesk. I have a lot of good things to say about Tinkercad. How it approaches 3d design is intuitive and makes it easy to pick up and go for new entrants into 3d design. It's been a long time since the AutoCad courses I took in college, and that was never 3d, so while someday I'd like to take the time and catch up with the more advanced software, so far Tinkercad has served me well.

Metri-Pack_280.png.4d9f1b86349d4321c98251b99704e73c.png

Haha thanks guys. Glad it isn't just me. Not embarrassed to say that I think I could watch the printer work for the full 7 hours (for this print) and enjoy every minute of it.

Unfortunately there wasn't a pre-existing file for this one as the male connector is designed specifically for the ssvec, and maybe the multiplex(?), boxes rather than to be used as an inline harness connector.

The engineer is a great guy to talk to. He explained that the female connector wasn't a true connector and after learning that, I started drawing this one from scratch based on the male connector. The samples arrived last night and were just like he described: a ring with a layer of silicone for sealing the male terminals. The ssvec box snaps around them and they are held in place with a lip.

Gary - for this I used Tinkercad by Autodesk. I have a lot of good things to say about Tinkercad. How it approaches 3d design is intuitive and makes it easy to pick up and go for new entrants into 3d design. It's been a long time since the AutoCad courses I took in college, and that was never 3d, so while someday I'd like to take the time and catch up with the more advanced software, so far Tinkercad has served me well.

All the more congratulations to you, Scott! :nabble_anim_claps:

I follow a few YouTube printer channels, but even the older guys seem to have moved on from Tinkercad.

I get you on being fascinated watching printers work.

I'm especially drawn to UV laser printers like Formlab's.

Well done, for sure!

TinkerCAD? I've not tried it. My TurboCAD works, but the jump from 2D to 3D is painful, so I might give TinkerCAD a try if I need to do 3D again.

Well done, for sure!

TinkerCAD? I've not tried it. My TurboCAD works, but the jump from 2D to 3D is painful, so I might give TinkerCAD a try if I need to do 3D again.

i have 3d printers if anybody needs anything printed...with multiple filament types...just saying..