Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Ordered a couple of those sensors for backups :nabble_smiley_good:

Truck hasn't moved for quite awhile, partially because I haven't really gone anywhere but also because I decided it was time to check the brakes/bearings on the trailer. That led to wanting to redo all the wiring 'just because'. So now there is a 22' trailer up on jack stands waiting on bearings/races blocking the truck in :nabble_smiley_uh:

My short speedometer cable jumper came in last week so that's all back installed. This is to replace the speed sensor previously mentioned.

Then today the Woolwax kit I ordered came in. Before I can spray that though I want to apply some Eastwood inner frame coating to a few areas (under bed rails, rear wheel wells). Running out of warm weather though...

LOL! Still remember quite well rewiring Brandon/Bruno2's trailer in order to go get Big Blue. Try placing a trailer between the uprights of the lift with only an inch or so on either side. And no way to get it up in the air.

Anyway, so the little jumper screws into the other speedo cable and then into the adapter on the speedo itself?

As for the weather, I think you have until next Monday. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered a couple of those sensors for backups :nabble_smiley_good:

Truck hasn't moved for quite awhile, partially because I haven't really gone anywhere but also because I decided it was time to check the brakes/bearings on the trailer. That led to wanting to redo all the wiring 'just because'. So now there is a 22' trailer up on jack stands waiting on bearings/races blocking the truck in :nabble_smiley_uh:

My short speedometer cable jumper came in last week so that's all back installed. This is to replace the speed sensor previously mentioned.

Then today the Woolwax kit I ordered came in. Before I can spray that though I want to apply some Eastwood inner frame coating to a few areas (under bed rails, rear wheel wells). Running out of warm weather though...

Great looking undercoating kit there Scott. I bought a gallon of the black Fluid Film, but I currently don't have a spray gun...need to order a new one sometime. I just had my daily driver done by a shop, but I will use the black later on to touch up the visible areas of the frame.

LOL! Still remember quite well rewiring Brandon/Bruno2's trailer in order to go get Big Blue. Try placing a trailer between the uprights of the lift with only an inch or so on either side. And no way to get it up in the air.

Anyway, so the little jumper screws into the other speedo cable and then into the adapter on the speedo itself?

As for the weather, I think you have until next Monday. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Cory - I need to find that thread from a year or so ago where you mentioned this process and was the first time I'd heard of it. I didn't really do a ton of price comparisons but the Woolwax site seemed pretty competitive and their bundles (with gun) were nice. Also, really nice to know that this stuff never spoils so no worries on stocking up or having extra.

Oh man Gary, that had to be a trick backing in there. With the length of a trailer, that inch could be taken up in no time. I was actually thinking last night that it would be nice to have a lift to work on the trailer, not to mention the vehicles. Would it work though? Or does your "no way to get it up in the air" mean you tried and it's a no go? Length I assume would be ok but you've got width as well as the single contact point (the jack) in the front to find a solution for. Maybe a 4 post instead of 2?

Regarding the speedometer setup, to quote the gentleman at Deluxe Speedometers, it is an 'engineering nightmare'. While I agree that it is by no means a clean looking solution I don't know of a better alternative that is fairly universal (among Fords) and doesn't require much work on the overdrive owner's part.

This is the adapter. The left side is a slip on fit with an oring that the original [red] speedometer gear slips into. The right side (disconnected in this photo) is threaded.

IMG_20201023_094950.thumb.jpg.4da7fdb1a4b0f465693eb365288a94e5.jpg

[Here is a quick sketch I did while identifying what the replacement needed to look like] The speed sensor screws into the adapter and the little piece protruding from the end accepts the inner speedometer cable from the factory cable. They meet in the middle of the adapter.

IMG_20201023_102835.jpg.eae17d6642c9362309ac91afb4ae4c40.jpg

Cory - I need to find that thread from a year or so ago where you mentioned this process and was the first time I'd heard of it. I didn't really do a ton of price comparisons but the Woolwax site seemed pretty competitive and their bundles (with gun) were nice. Also, really nice to know that this stuff never spoils so no worries on stocking up or having extra.

Oh man Gary, that had to be a trick backing in there. With the length of a trailer, that inch could be taken up in no time. I was actually thinking last night that it would be nice to have a lift to work on the trailer, not to mention the vehicles. Would it work though? Or does your "no way to get it up in the air" mean you tried and it's a no go? Length I assume would be ok but you've got width as well as the single contact point (the jack) in the front to find a solution for. Maybe a 4 post instead of 2?

Regarding the speedometer setup, to quote the gentleman at Deluxe Speedometers, it is an 'engineering nightmare'. While I agree that it is by no means a clean looking solution I don't know of a better alternative that is fairly universal (among Fords) and doesn't require much work on the overdrive owner's part.

This is the adapter. The left side is a slip on fit with an oring that the original [red] speedometer gear slips into. The right side (disconnected in this photo) is threaded.

[Here is a quick sketch I did while identifying what the replacement needed to look like] The speed sensor screws into the adapter and the little piece protruding from the end accepts the inner speedometer cable from the factory cable. They meet in the middle of the adapter.

Scott - It was very, very tight getting the trailer in. And when I got it in I couldn't get the arms to reach the frame due to the dual-axle setup. The tires were in the way, wherever I positioned the trailer. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes, a 4-post would work, but then you always have the track in the way. I like my 2-post. But you need some room ahead of and behind the vehicle so you can roll it forward or backward in order to get the doors open to work on the interior.

On the speedo setup, it is neat that there's a solution. :nabble_smiley_good:

Is it a left hand thread on the male side? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Rustproofing sprays are really common here, and I know they're at least somewhat common in the northern states...at least the ones east of the Great Lakes. I have our daily vehicles done every fall by a local shop. It's messy, but it sure does work. I didn't put anything on my 1984 Flareside as it pretty much lives indoors and is only outside on sunny days. The 1980 Flareside I'm working on now will get sprayed...it will likely be living outside in the elements, and the whole point of this truck is to be able to drive it in the rain, and use it like a truck.

The Fluid Film I just purchased is mainly for the frame/chassis/axles, etc. I will be coating everything with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Rustproofing sprays are really common here, and I know they're at least somewhat common in the northern states...at least the ones east of the Great Lakes. I have our daily vehicles done every fall by a local shop. It's messy, but it sure does work. I didn't put anything on my 1984 Flareside as it pretty much lives indoors and is only outside on sunny days. The 1980 Flareside I'm working on now will get sprayed...it will likely be living outside in the elements, and the whole point of this truck is to be able to drive it in the rain, and use it like a truck.

The Fluid Film I just purchased is mainly for the frame/chassis/axles, etc. I will be coating everything with it.

Had a couple nasty days recently so decided to make a run to pickup some items I'd been watching on marketplace. No real plans for either at the moment.

IMG_20201129_162717.thumb.jpg.8e1fb5220b0e1663a6c7490f2873d087.jpg

Was nice to get out in the truck for a couple hours since I haven't been putting many miles on it lately.

My wife wants some decorations powder coated so needed to clear out the blasting cabinet. Which meant that the load sensing valve finally got coated. See here for more photos if interested

IMG_20201129_214007.thumb.jpg.91084680e0dc1e2ea38e15678b0d24a4.jpg

I wasn't really planning on reinstalling it but the new diff cover won't work with the mount anyways so it will go on the shelf.

I want to get it all reassembled though so nothing gets lost.

Should I rub the orings with brake fluid before reinstalling? Or something else?

Speaking of the diff cover, it finally arrived (see post in For Sale section for some discussion)

IMG_20201128_212829.thumb.jpg.720e4e11d0906774287775d1c281c951.jpg

Hopefully will get it installed soon and change out the front diff fluid while I am at it.

Had a couple nasty days recently so decided to make a run to pickup some items I'd been watching on marketplace. No real plans for either at the moment.

Was nice to get out in the truck for a couple hours since I haven't been putting many miles on it lately.

My wife wants some decorations powder coated so needed to clear out the blasting cabinet. Which meant that the load sensing valve finally got coated. See here for more photos if interested

I wasn't really planning on reinstalling it but the new diff cover won't work with the mount anyways so it will go on the shelf.

I want to get it all reassembled though so nothing gets lost.

Should I rub the orings with brake fluid before reinstalling? Or something else?

Speaking of the diff cover, it finally arrived (see post in For Sale section for some discussion)

Hopefully will get it installed soon and change out the front diff fluid while I am at it.

Nice! Cool additions!