Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

I had no idea they're that expensive!

My Pro kit is decades old and I mostly use it for attaching drawer runners in cabinets where there is a full partition at the top and bottom.

I think I paid around $20-25.

Milwaukee had a duplicate tool that was either sourced or copied from the grey boxed one I own.

The multi-position thumb lever handle can be fiddly at times you need it.

I like the fact it comes with a set of allen bits and shallow sockets.

You can also use a long hex extension to drive it from outside the box, while your other hand holds the head in place.

I also keep a stubby I made from a broken screwdriver handle in the box.

It's 1/4 in-hex and concave on top, so you can easily center it with a fingertip.

And the other half

That’s a nice tool(s) you made! I have a lot of tight spaces tools from working on aircraft.

I have this set from Snap-On, worth it.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Low-Profile-Socket-Sets%2C-Inches/12-pc-1-4%22-Drive-12-Point-SAE-Flank-Drive-Low-Profile-Ratchet%2FSocket-Set-(3%2F16-9%2F16%22)/112RTA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a nice tool(s) you made! I have a lot of tight spaces tools from working on aircraft.

I have this set from Snap-On, worth it.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Low-Profile-Socket-Sets%2C-Inches/12-pc-1-4%22-Drive-12-Point-SAE-Flank-Drive-Low-Profile-Ratchet%2FSocket-Set-(3%2F16-9%2F16%22)/112RTA

This just showed up on Cripe Distributing's eBay page.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333628521425

$25, $33.25 delivered priority flat rate and they DO deliver fast!

I don't even see it on their actual website yet.

Pricing on their site is usually a little bit better.

My last order of the same items I saved about 30% over their eBay front by combining shipping.

Again, if you're interested in tools (especially the smaller American brands, and quality European ones like Gedore, Huwera, ect..) I urge you to look at the 50 or so pages of wrenches on their site, because they combine shipping on all items.

They also have GREAT deals on Hobart heavy duty F-clamps in 12,18 & 24".

Sliding beam, copper plated Acme screws and swivel pads.

Not to mention a host of REALLY heavy duty C-clamps and spud wrenches for steelworkers!

This just showed up on Cripe Distributing's eBay page.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333628521425

$25, $33.25 delivered priority flat rate and they DO deliver fast!

I don't even see it on their actual website yet.

Pricing on their site is usually a little bit better.

My last order of the same items I saved about 30% over their eBay front by combining shipping.

Again, if you're interested in tools (especially the smaller American brands, and quality European ones like Gedore, Huwera, ect..) I urge you to look at the 50 or so pages of wrenches on their site, because they combine shipping on all items.

They also have GREAT deals on Hobart heavy duty F-clamps in 12,18 & 24".

Sliding beam, copper plated Acme screws and swivel pads.

Not to mention a host of REALLY heavy duty C-clamps and spud wrenches for steelworkers!

Scott, please feel free to move it to eBay finds in the marketplace if you feel it isn't germane to the above discussion, but that's where I mentioned it, so....

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple things done this weekend.

First, I know there are tons of people dying to know but yes, you can powder coat your wiper motor.

Disassembly and reassembly wasn't bad (the magnets were the most time consuming part). Now I need to hook it up to Chanute to test.

The big relief was getting the blend door upgraded. I was really dreading tearing up the one in Camano since it was all together (minus the foam which was long gone) but then I remembered I had an assembly from another 86 on a shelf which did have the hinge split. Took that one apart and started going to town. The how-to on FTE for this is extremely well done. I really followed it with only some very minor changes.

If you have your dash apart I highly recommend doing this. The final outcome is well worth it.

Just some comments relating to the how-to from my experience:

1. I didn't need to modify both legs of the hinge. I did one but then I just flipped the other over and it put the centerline really close to stock.

2. The slight bend mentioned looks normal and when dryfitting it, the bend conforms to the housing so it seals uniformly. I was going to add an aluminum support to the leading edge to prevent this bend permanently until I noticed this.

3. You can use the same 3/16 foam all around - even on the hinge. Mine had uniform pressure all around with this.

4. On the side opposite the arm attachment point, I filled it all in with the foam. My thought process was that when in dash mode, the air flows across this so this removes one of the edges the air could catch on and hopefully reduce the risk of the foam peeling up there.

5. My utmost respect goes to anyone that does this while the unit is still in the dash. Even having it on a bench with the ability to dry fit it, it took some finagling to get the door in and out so I can just imagine doing that blind.

Just wanted to post my thanks for you sharing this... While I have my dash apart doing the fuel injection mod, I ran across the blend door issue. Wasn't really sure what belonged where, but this post and the shared link showed me what to look for. I'll get through the rest of this thread before I button back up for sure.

Just wanted to post my thanks for you sharing this... While I have my dash apart doing the fuel injection mod, I ran across the blend door issue. Wasn't really sure what belonged where, but this post and the shared link showed me what to look for. I'll get through the rest of this thread before I button back up for sure.

Great! So did you complete the blend door fix already? Or still in the midst?

Great! So did you complete the blend door fix already? Or still in the midst?

Scott, not yet. I was looking at that door and wondering about the movement of it. Would have never thought of a hidden plastic hinge broken off if I hadn't seen your discussion and the FTE link.

Just getting done on catching up on this 18 page thread of yours :nabble_smiley_beam: Outstanding work on your resto/mod on the truck. Impressive collection in the field also, hope you hang on to some (may need something in the future) haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Scott, not yet. I was looking at that door and wondering about the movement of it. Would have never thought of a hidden plastic hinge broken off if I hadn't seen your discussion and the FTE link.

Just getting done on catching up on this 18 page thread of yours :nabble_smiley_beam: Outstanding work on your resto/mod on the truck. Impressive collection in the field also, hope you hang on to some (may need something in the future) haha.

Getting the A/C going was the big thing lately on Camano but also worked on the center console. Thanks to a great 6yo helper I got it all wired and installed today.

The truck came with a carpet covered console (seen in first post) that while it may not have won any beauty pageants, I liked the simplicity of it. It fit with the truck.

The way it was built didn't fit with what I needed internally though so I copied the exterior pattern and built a new one.

The main purpose of it is to house the amp and Kicker Hideaway sub. I drove around with it before having it covered and the amp got pretty hot to the touch. Nowhere near shutoff temps but still warm. I decided to forego the front cubby and install a fan instead. Since I now had a 'control panel' to work with I made (3d printed) a panel that the fan mounts to as well as dual usb charging ports and a PowerPole port. The latter I have no idea if I'll use but I wanted the panel to be somewhat symmetrical and don't see a need for 4 usb charging ports. While googling other things to put in there I ran across the Big Blackie thread, saw Luke used these, and they sounded like a good choice for taking up the space.

This will also hold the arduino board for the future Torque project.

It mounts via front seatbelt holes. Still need to do some cable management and remove a lot of the excess but wanted to run with it awhile before I do that.

IMG_20200725_132359.jpg.37d9da7159295de6875596b02e900a56.jpg

IMG_20200726_120956.jpg.e5b1052ad7ea58abfdddf6814a471cc7.jpg

IMG_20200726_154853.jpg.421329f200280bc1101ddc11faec47e7.jpg

IMG_20200726_155912.jpg.ac7f791a23a061d9c769af2f16c3b5b3.jpg

Exhaust vent

IMG_20200725_131934.jpg.878c93eefe06825fc876265ee564155f.jpg

Getting the A/C going was the big thing lately on Camano but also worked on the center console. Thanks to a great 6yo helper I got it all wired and installed today.

The truck came with a carpet covered console (seen in first post) that while it may not have won any beauty pageants, I liked the simplicity of it. It fit with the truck.

The way it was built didn't fit with what I needed internally though so I copied the exterior pattern and built a new one.

The main purpose of it is to house the amp and Kicker Hideaway sub. I drove around with it before having it covered and the amp got pretty hot to the touch. Nowhere near shutoff temps but still warm. I decided to forego the front cubby and install a fan instead. Since I now had a 'control panel' to work with I made (3d printed) a panel that the fan mounts to as well as dual usb charging ports and a PowerPole port. The latter I have no idea if I'll use but I wanted the panel to be somewhat symmetrical and don't see a need for 4 usb charging ports. While googling other things to put in there I ran across the Big Blackie thread, saw Luke used these, and they sounded like a good choice for taking up the space.

This will also hold the arduino board for the future Torque project.

It mounts via front seatbelt holes. Still need to do some cable management and remove a lot of the excess but wanted to run with it awhile before I do that.

Exhaust vent

Scott - That looks GREAT! I love it! And the fan is a good idea. Plus, you have plenty of room for the Arduino.

I'd not thought about using the seat belt holes. I like that. Clean and functional. :nabble_smiley_good:

Please tell your 6 yo helper hello from me. Wish I was going to get to see her this fall.

Scott - That looks GREAT! I love it! And the fan is a good idea. Plus, you have plenty of room for the Arduino.

I'd not thought about using the seat belt holes. I like that. Clean and functional. :nabble_smiley_good:

Please tell your 6 yo helper hello from me. Wish I was going to get to see her this fall.

Nice!

Nice!

Thanks guys. I was out doing some other stuff in the truck just now and was playing some 90's country. I was afraid of this but with the sub enclosed in there I am getting some rattling of the lid so will have to put some SS screws/bolts to hold the top down solid.

Also, the top is a 3M Rosewood vinyl I bought on eBay. It's a little more red than the dash but not terrible.

Gary - until the next meet up you will always be 'the guy with the roller coaster' :nabble_smiley_happy: