Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

I will have to check if it's an m8 or 10.

I have a step bit I just bought so it should be nice and sharp.

I like the in-bed spare idea. I can't do that on Big Blue due to the tool box, but when I get the bumper built I'll have that whipped.

On yours, I'd Line-X the carrier part that goes up against the bed. It'll cushion things a bit and, like you said, won't wear like powder.

And I'd also paint the inside of the hole with touch-up paint, but after priming it. You sure don't want rust there.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the in-bed spare idea. I can't do that on Big Blue due to the tool box, but when I get the bumper built I'll have that whipped.

On yours, I'd Line-X the carrier part that goes up against the bed. It'll cushion things a bit and, like you said, won't wear like powder.

And I'd also paint the inside of the hole with touch-up paint, but after priming it. You sure don't want rust there.

On the paint at the holes you’re going to drill. We used paint cutters on aircraft that hadn’t had the inspection panels pulled yet. But they were for screws, and I don’t remember seeing anything bigger than a 1/4 inch, which is what this link shows.

Maybe one could make them. The little tip in the middle goes in the screw head.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/screwpaintcutterkit.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfSY56iZ6QIVCMJkCh0k3gVFEAQYASABEgIFcPD_BwE

On the paint at the holes you’re going to drill. We used paint cutters on aircraft that hadn’t had the inspection panels pulled yet. But they were for screws, and I don’t remember seeing anything bigger than a 1/4 inch, which is what this link shows.

Maybe one could make them. The little tip in the middle goes in the screw head.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/screwpaintcutterkit.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfSY56iZ6QIVCMJkCh0k3gVFEAQYASABEgIFcPD_BwE

Dane - I didn't know such a thing existed. Good to know.

Dane - I didn't know such a thing existed. Good to know.

Looks pretty much like a spotweld cutter, but of course it scores the periphery.

If anything for a boat costs 3x as much as it should, anything for aircraft costs 6x.

And by extrapolation anything for spacecraft costs 18x as much.

But there are forces in that industry changing things

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty much like a spotweld cutter, but of course it scores the periphery.

If anything for a boat costs 3x as much as it should, anything for aircraft costs 6x.

And by extrapolation anything for spacecraft costs 18x as much.

But there are forces in that industry changing things

Too late at night for a full update of what I've done since the last post but I did get the dash pad and cover installed this evening. Have been holding off as I needed to solder the cb/am-fm wiring back together. Had to unsolder the connection to get the coax to fit through the cowl/firewall hole. I just wanted to add some photos of the cover for a visual to anyone else that may consider this style in the future.

This is the Covercraft Ultimat. The fit is great and I don't plan on installing the velcro if I can help it. As far as carpet dash covers go, I am really impressed. It screams 80's.

I see that Covercraft now has a Carhartt dash that looks really nice. In addition to that and the Ultimat, they have a few other styles.

(Plain dash for easy comparison)IMG_20200518_214648.jpg.32998f96d8948ba7ae09f68adfefd92c.jpgIMG_20200518_214742.jpg.5ed634ea124f7ab5dcc2f4099933a664.jpgIMG_20200518_214828.jpg.9d7be331b0d02778657b2a820721dca7.jpg

Too late at night for a full update of what I've done since the last post but I did get the dash pad and cover installed this evening. Have been holding off as I needed to solder the cb/am-fm wiring back together. Had to unsolder the connection to get the coax to fit through the cowl/firewall hole. I just wanted to add some photos of the cover for a visual to anyone else that may consider this style in the future.

This is the Covercraft Ultimat. The fit is great and I don't plan on installing the velcro if I can help it. As far as carpet dash covers go, I am really impressed. It screams 80's.

I see that Covercraft now has a Carhartt dash that looks really nice. In addition to that and the Ultimat, they have a few other styles.

(Plain dash for easy comparison)

Looks good!

I don’t usually like dashpads, but I dislike holes in the speaker grille, I put one on, I want to says it is a Coverlay, probably wrong, but I like it. Our trucks are like twinsies!

Looks good!

I don’t usually like dashpads, but I dislike holes in the speaker grille, I put one on, I want to says it is a Coverlay, probably wrong, but I like it. Our trucks are like twinsies!

Interesting, Scott. Didn't know that was available.

Dane - You are probably right. Coverlay makes the vast majority of the dash covers. Properly painted they are easily mistaken for a good dash pad.

Interesting, Scott. Didn't know that was available.

Dane - You are probably right. Coverlay makes the vast majority of the dash covers. Properly painted they are easily mistaken for a good dash pad.

I think I’m thinking wrong. It’s a carpet cover.

Our trucks are like twinsies!

Haha so true.

If you get a chance and want to, I wouldn't mind seeing your dash cover. We may be in the minority rocking carpet dash covers but I know when I was looking I was a bit overwhelmed by the different offerings from Covercraft alone and would have liked to have see a few examples actually in our trucks.

Our trucks are like twinsies!

Haha so true.

If you get a chance and want to, I wouldn't mind seeing your dash cover. We may be in the minority rocking carpet dash covers but I know when I was looking I was a bit overwhelmed by the different offerings from Covercraft alone and would have liked to have see a few examples actually in our trucks.

Dash looks great :nabble_smiley_good:

I have the dash pad cover and I painted it to match the other painted parts inside but I am finding during the day light hours, I drive to work in the dark, the sun reflects off the top back onto the windshield making it hard to see.

So I am thinking of getting the rug cover and if I can help it not use the Velcro also.

Dave ----