Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Tried to take some better photos at lunch but my phone isn't great in the photo department. If there is anything specific you'd like me to focus on, let me know.

Also finished putting together the parking brake assembly after I'd taken it apart for coating.

Everything needs a good wipe down after I install it in the truck to get the excess lithium grease and greasy fingerprints that are all over them off.

My approach has been anything outside the cab is coated with Mirror Black. Everything inside or that can be seen inside (vent window frames, door hardware, wipers) gets semigloss black.

Coated parts look great just wonder how well they will work after being coated?

Just a little old grease with dirt in it they don't work to good.

I do like the park brake assy. and the vent windows done as you can see them.

You also doing the door glass channels inside the doors?

Have you given any thought how all them rods go back in for the latches?

I pulled mine years ago and they are in bags marked left & right but from what I remember they were fun to pull out so going to be twice the fun going back in .......... NOT!

Dave ----

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a valid concern. None of these parts are super tight with their clearances. I pulled a few latches from some jy doors (in case this project was a bust) and tested them vs the coated ones after applying the grease. The coated ones work just as well and seem to have a little more 'snap' to them. For the door latches it took a lot of blasting and a lot of cleaner to get the old grease out of all the nooks and crannies but the aerosol lithium spray did a good job of replacing it all.

None of the parts I've done aside from possibly the sliding seat tracks have been tight enough on clearance that the coating has caused an issue.

I like seeing the parking brake all black also. It wasn't too bad to do - you just have to drill out the stepped rivet that holds the handle on and then force out (after heating) the hard rubber grommet the handle goes through.

Yes, I coated the channels also. Everyone that gets in your truck wants to look at the innards of the doors to see if they are shiny, right? :nabble_smiley_beam:

IMG_20190820_162910.thumb.jpg.e0695756787dc97e93a5ada884c61224.jpg

If you plan on getting your vent windows tinted and you have the door apart anyways, I would recommend going ahead and removing the glass completely. After disassembling the vent window (being careful to not twist the threaded rod), I removed the glass from the frame by heating it in the oven. I then coated the frame and dropped it and the glass off at the window shop. They tinted the windows and reinstalled them in the frame. This allows the tint to look seamless/factory.

IMG_20190820_162713.thumb.jpg.ccce89d39441a22179faf977453489a3.jpg

I pulled mine years ago and they are in bags marked left & right but from what I remember they were fun to pull out so going to be twice the fun going back in .......... NOT!

Dave ----

They are a jumble for sure. I've got a few doors in the shop and the spares that I pulled from the junkyard still have the rods on them that I plan on using as guides to put them all back together. If ever needed, I can add a photo of them.

While on the topic of coating things, I'll go ahead and add the accelerator pedal. This one was really a bit of a pain to do but I do like the look of it over the somewhat rusty original.

IMG_20190820_163120.thumb.jpg.603d4fc3892c6d6ac147635dd2eaa593.jpg

IMG_20190820_163141.jpg.4589ad54c6c7ae18b9068b3b3a71baf6.jpg

That's a valid concern. None of these parts are super tight with their clearances. I pulled a few latches from some jy doors (in case this project was a bust) and tested them vs the coated ones after applying the grease. The coated ones work just as well and seem to have a little more 'snap' to them. For the door latches it took a lot of blasting and a lot of cleaner to get the old grease out of all the nooks and crannies but the aerosol lithium spray did a good job of replacing it all.

None of the parts I've done aside from possibly the sliding seat tracks have been tight enough on clearance that the coating has caused an issue.

I like seeing the parking brake all black also. It wasn't too bad to do - you just have to drill out the stepped rivet that holds the handle on and then force out (after heating) the hard rubber grommet the handle goes through.

Yes, I coated the channels also. Everyone that gets in your truck wants to look at the innards of the doors to see if they are shiny, right? :nabble_smiley_beam:

If you plan on getting your vent windows tinted and you have the door apart anyways, I would recommend going ahead and removing the glass completely. After disassembling the vent window (being careful to not twist the threaded rod), I removed the glass from the frame by heating it in the oven. I then coated the frame and dropped it and the glass off at the window shop. They tinted the windows and reinstalled them in the frame. This allows the tint to look seamless/factory.

Dave ----

They are a jumble for sure. I've got a few doors in the shop and the spares that I pulled from the junkyard still have the rods on them that I plan on using as guides to put them all back together. If ever needed, I can add a photo of them.

While on the topic of coating things, I'll go ahead and add the accelerator pedal. This one was really a bit of a pain to do but I do like the look of it over the somewhat rusty original.

Scott, I got to say that puts it over the top.

Sorry to say the parts inside the doors wont even get painted just cleaned (done before stored), lubed and installed.

Being I started this rebuild in Dec of 2015 and hope to get paint on it by years end or sooner and it being a driver I skipped detailing some of the little things like the throttle pedal.

I had to replace my vent window frames and the replacement ones the glass has a green tint but the door glass no tint.

I have looked into getting the door glass tinted but being the glass is out I may try and do the tint myself.

I will most likely paint the frames before I install them, don't remember what they look like now LOL

Keep up the great work

Dave ----

Dave ----

Wow! Just WOW!

Dad's truck has some SERIOUS competition! Well done. I'm impressed. :nabble_anim_claps:

Perhaps Dad's Truck was inspiration! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I doubt it. This seems to have been going on for some time, and he Scott just joined.

Don't sell yourself short. It's impossible to read through any of the other project threads and not pick up great ideas and methods that one will use later. I've been bookmarking threads for future restoration reference for years. This site is a veritable schmorgasboard - can't say that and not think of

:nabble_smiley_happy:

I can clearly remember reading a post where you told someone to bring something to last years show and you'd coat it. This was before I'd ever considered buying a gun so I am more than happy to blame you! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Don't sell yourself short. It's impossible to read through any of the other project threads and not pick up great ideas and methods that one will use later. I've been bookmarking threads for future restoration reference for years. This site is a veritable schmorgasboard - can't say that and not think of

:nabble_smiley_happy:

I can clearly remember reading a post where you told someone to bring something to last years show and you'd coat it. This was before I'd ever considered buying a gun so I am more than happy to blame you! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, if that's a complement I thank you. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

So it is my fault that you are into powder coating? :nabble_smiley_scared: Seriously though, isn't it fun!?!? Parts come out looking beautiful.

Well, if that's a complement I thank you. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

So it is my fault that you are into powder coating? :nabble_smiley_scared: Seriously though, isn't it fun!?!? Parts come out looking beautiful.

Now to my wife who is no doubt tired of hearing me say "Hey, come feel how smooth this is", she may not be as appreciative of your influence :nabble_smiley_beam:

Oh, it's a lot of fun! There were many evenings that I would wander around the shop looking at the piles of parts that came off Camano and try to find something new to coat. I can't paint to save my life so this is right up my alley.

What brand of powder do you use?

Any experience with how a powdered part reacts to gasoline getting on it?

Now to my wife who is no doubt tired of hearing me say "Hey, come feel how smooth this is", she may not be as appreciative of your influence :nabble_smiley_beam:

Oh, it's a lot of fun! There were many evenings that I would wander around the shop looking at the piles of parts that came off Camano and try to find something new to coat. I can't paint to save my life so this is right up my alley.

What brand of powder do you use?

Any experience with how a powdered part reacts to gasoline getting on it?

I mainly use Eastwood's powder, but I have a bunch of Sherwin Williams black that I got when I bought the oven from a guy that was getting out of the business. And Brandon/Bruno2 bought some Powder By The Pound and we've used it.

As for gasoline, it will take the sheen off gloss powder, and may soften powder if left on for a while. But I still use it on intakes. However, I don't run Holleys, which always seem to leak gas for me, so I don't have much gas on the intake.