Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Thanks. Funny how a few keys pieces really make a difference in making it take shape.

Looking forward to the next major milestone of hooking the battery up and seeing some life in it.

Have to take it back to the body shop this week so that will give me some more time to clean up and coat a few remaining parts.

Again I know after a cab off frame rebuild, cab back on frame, making a bed and back on the frame, all 4 wheels on the ground, etc.

Dave ----

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gary! I am looking forward to seeing Big Blue again in person next year and all the changes that have and will be done.

Ah of course - Chanute has the manual linkage in that oval hole so I should have known that.

On the exhaust I really deferred a lot to the shop. Like everything really. If I had to do it over again, I might do some more research but I also have a bad habit of over analyzing stuff that should be left to someone that does it daily and I just didn't have the time or energy that week for that rabbit hole. So in this case I found the shop in the nearby city that had the best reviews, was very pleasant/knowledgeable to speak to on the phone and did stainless.

So I am trying real hard to not do research after the purchase :nabble_smiley_beam:

To answer your question they are type s borlas. I believe that is their universal offering. Still has the lifetime warranty though. They do offer a custom muffler that would be worth looking into if one was really looking for a specific sound.

I pretty much just told the shop I wanted something stainless for longevity and for it to not be too loud but with a nice rumble. They put together a few options and I chose the one I liked.

I'll definitely get some photos. I thought I took some while it was on their lift but guess not.

After actually looking at that oval hole from the engine side, it isn't the manual clutch linkage. That is quite a bit lower down near the steering column. This plug is near the valve cover so not sure what the factory purpose was.

IMG_20191102_235148.jpg.24d8e4ccb73890b5238407a1fc145fcc.jpg

Truck is back at the body shop so haven't done a lot besides blast the steering column and parts.

Chanute's inspection is coming up so had to replace some bulbs to get the turn signals working again which gave a break from staring in the cabinet.

Did get the brake controller in for Camano today. Another item I am likely more excited about than should be but the compact size and hidden aspect is perfect. The fact that you can mount it vertically or horizontally is nice also.

IMG_20191102_235854.jpg.cd4cb3409614594e76245a15bfa38819.jpg

IMG_20191103_000151.jpg.8fce4811ff85a2cd4b82d0671c57da8f.jpg

After actually looking at that oval hole from the engine side, it isn't the manual clutch linkage. That is quite a bit lower down near the steering column. This plug is near the valve cover so not sure what the factory purpose was.

Truck is back at the body shop so haven't done a lot besides blast the steering column and parts.

Chanute's inspection is coming up so had to replace some bulbs to get the turn signals working again which gave a break from staring in the cabinet.

Did get the brake controller in for Camano today. Another item I am likely more excited about than should be but the compact size and hidden aspect is perfect. The fact that you can mount it vertically or horizontally is nice also.

That hole is for the computer wiring, at least on the EFI trucks. My old 86 cab had it, and that's where the engine control harness passed through the firewall.

I had a feeling that was the one you guys were referring to, but forgot to reply.

That hole is for the computer wiring, at least on the EFI trucks.

Yup, the EFI and Feedback carb trucks had harnesses passing through that hole. My '84 just has an oval rubber plug in there. I grabbed a spare oval plug out of an '86 at the junkyard last year just to have on hand. I figured that sometime I'd be fixing an old EFI truck and would need the plug to convert it to carb.

That hole is for the computer wiring, at least on the EFI trucks.

Yup, the EFI and Feedback carb trucks had harnesses passing through that hole. My '84 just has an oval rubber plug in there. I grabbed a spare oval plug out of an '86 at the junkyard last year just to have on hand. I figured that sometime I'd be fixing an old EFI truck and would need the plug to convert it to carb.

Scott - Staring into the blast cabinet is therapy for me. Seeing the parts come out so nice and "new" is really fun. But, I do suppose it can get old.

As for the brake controller, I've not been around that one. How big is the control head, meaning the switch assembly? Might be easier to find a place for than the larger ones.

Concerning the rubber plug & hole, I've not been around one of the trucks with the wiring going through there to the computer. But that's good to know.

Scott - Staring into the blast cabinet is therapy for me. Seeing the parts come out so nice and "new" is really fun. But, I do suppose it can get old.

As for the brake controller, I've not been around that one. How big is the control head, meaning the switch assembly? Might be easier to find a place for than the larger ones.

Concerning the rubber plug & hole, I've not been around one of the trucks with the wiring going through there to the computer. But that's good to know.

No blast cabinet here so cant reply on that.

The controller looks small does it have a knob to apply the trailer only brakes and how do you adjust the level for the trailer loaded or un-loaded?

I need to pick one up for my truck at some point and some wire to run from the engine bay to the trailer plug out back.

I had to look at a picture of my 81 for that plug and it did not have it. Then again no engine computer either.

Dave ----

No blast cabinet here so cant reply on that.

The controller looks small does it have a knob to apply the trailer only brakes and how do you adjust the level for the trailer loaded or un-loaded?

I need to pick one up for my truck at some point and some wire to run from the engine bay to the trailer plug out back.

I had to look at a picture of my 81 for that plug and it did not have it. Then again no engine computer either.

Dave ----

I'm guessing that plug appeared in '83. The '82 trucks had the computer under the seat and there was a plug in the floor there. But apparently in '83 the computer moved under the dash, and that plug appeared.

I'm guessing that plug appeared in '83. The '82 trucks had the computer under the seat and there was a plug in the floor there. But apparently in '83 the computer moved under the dash, and that plug appeared.

Good to know on the plug.

With the Bluetooth ear protectors and a book on tape, I could normally blast for hours also but have been battling a cold so having a runny nose with two hands occupied got annoying :nabble_smiley_argh:

The control unit is pretty small. Has the dial and an LED that can be mounted in different locations. The dial has an outer rotation for Boost, an inner one for power output, and then you can push it in to test/apply brakes.

The switch is going to be mounted in the truck in that dash cubby with a 3d printed bezel but it does come with a its own sticker type bezel if you want to just drill a hole somewhere for it.

IMG_20191103_081405.jpg.774152a3e35164c88a0abbe716eb2a16.jpg

Good to know on the plug.

With the Bluetooth ear protectors and a book on tape, I could normally blast for hours also but have been battling a cold so having a runny nose with two hands occupied got annoying :nabble_smiley_argh:

The control unit is pretty small. Has the dial and an LED that can be mounted in different locations. The dial has an outer rotation for Boost, an inner one for power output, and then you can push it in to test/apply brakes.

The switch is going to be mounted in the truck in that dash cubby with a 3d printed bezel but it does come with a its own sticker type bezel if you want to just drill a hole somewhere for it.

That's a good spot for the controller. Have you seen my gauge pocket project? It has the dimensions for that pocket.

That's a good spot for the controller. Have you seen my gauge pocket project? It has the dimensions for that pocket.

Just read over it. That's great to have!

Chanute has the now defunct dealer ac with the controls there. Planning to scavenge the parts from it and mimic the font/design of the bezel for the brake controller and gvod controls.