Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

Different surfaces have different emissivity.

The IR gun would have a vastly different reading on chrome or flat black at exactly the same temperature.

Masking tape seems a happy medium for my inexpensive gun, which is difficult to change modes or recalibrate.

It correlates with actual coolant temp, as determined by a immersion thermometer that is lab grade.

(Remember Omega Engineering, industrial park off Hope, between Glenbrook and Springdale?)

Since the thermostat housing can be chrome, or covered in corrosion, or greasy, or powder coated, or...

I always suggest masking tape since it gives a solid baseline.

Jim - Is that blue or beige or?

The IR gun would have a vastly different reading on chrome or flat black at exactly the same temperature.

Masking tape seems a happy medium for my inexpensive gun, which is difficult to change modes or recalibrate.

It correlates with actual coolant temp, as determined by a immersion thermometer that is lab grade.

(Remember Omega Engineering, industrial park off Hope, between Glenbrook and Springdale?)

Since the thermostat housing can be chrome, or covered in corrosion, or greasy, or powder coated, or...

Well that put that way I can under stand it and the reason too!

Your IR gun has to be better than mine (HF cheapy) if it has the probe.

Yes I do remember Omega IIRC had a uncle that worked there for a bit.

Dave ----

ps just got the blue or tan or ....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Guess as long as you use the same color all the time, me I think green as it is on my paint masking rack.

Well that put that way I can under stand it and the reason too!

Your IR gun has to be better than mine (HF cheapy) if it has the probe.

Yes I do remember Omega IIRC had a uncle that worked there for a bit.

Dave ----

ps just got the blue or tan or ....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Guess as long as you use the same color all the time, me I think green as it is on my paint masking rack.

My gun doesn't have an immersion thermometer. :nabble_anim_confused:

I used an Omega thermometer in the thermal vacuum switch port while I was taking readings with the IR gun.

I'm a bit busy to make comparisons today.

I torched my bumper off this morning.

But I have 3M body man yellow, and maybe some green Frog Tape, so I will add them to the mix (when I do it)

My gun doesn't have an immersion thermometer. :nabble_anim_confused:

I used an Omega thermometer in the thermal vacuum switch port while I was taking readings with the IR gun.

I'm a bit busy to make comparisons today.

I torched my bumper off this morning.

But I have 3M body man yellow, and maybe some green Frog Tape, so I will add them to the mix (when I do it)

I think a comparison would be great and happy to participate as well. My unit is a HF type and my housing isn't stock but can take measurements.

Spoke about needing a throttle kicker for a/c when idling.

See what you guys think about this:

:nabble_smiley_beam:

I think a comparison would be great and happy to participate as well. My unit is a HF type and my housing isn't stock but can take measurements.

That seems to work well, Scott. But what is it?

I have the same question as Gary, but comments are turned off..... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Does your Horrid Fate IR thermometer have adjustable emissivity?

They are really good for quickly finding which cylinder is dead (without having to pull plug wires one at a time)

My Holley is not nearly as pretty as yours. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I have the same question as Gary, but comments are turned off..... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Does your Horrid Fate IR thermometer have adjustable emissivity?

They are really good for quickly finding which cylinder is dead (without having to pull plug wires one at a time)

My Holley is not nearly as pretty as yours. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I don't believe it does. Pretty sure it only has C/F and then laser dot on/off.

Meant to reply last night but ended up pulling the od, transmission, clutch, and flywheel off the 80 and it got too late.

I was about to order the Holley throttle stop but really didn't want to. Despite the assurances by the support tech that the bracket would fit and not interfere with the kickdown bracket, I can't say I believe them. Nor do I really like having to tap the throttle before it take effect.

Came across a post that mentioned using a solenoid to switch between ported and manifold vacuum for this vac adv. Had to rearranged some lines but now the two ports on the front base of the carb go into this unit and the single out goes to the vac adv. Will end up mounting it to the carb heat shield but seems like it will work.

Here is the switch

Can't complain about the price (esp compared to the Holley throttle stop) and the quality is what you'd expect. Looks a little cheap but if it works...

I don't believe it does. Pretty sure it only has C/F and then laser dot on/off.

Meant to reply last night but ended up pulling the od, transmission, clutch, and flywheel off the 80 and it got too late.

I was about to order the Holley throttle stop but really didn't want to. Despite the assurances by the support tech that the bracket would fit and not interfere with the kickdown bracket, I can't say I believe them. Nor do I really like having to tap the throttle before it take effect.

Came across a post that mentioned using a solenoid to switch between ported and manifold vacuum for this vac adv. Had to rearranged some lines but now the two ports on the front base of the carb go into this unit and the single out goes to the vac adv. Will end up mounting it to the carb heat shield but seems like it will work.

Here is the switch

Can't complain about the price (esp compared to the Holley throttle stop) and the quality is what you'd expect. Looks a little cheap but if it works...

My truck has the thermal vacuum switch that steps up the idle if the truck is overheating (bypassing the vacuum restriction)