Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

First, that steering column is a work of art! (Did you adjust the new switch?)

There is a good thread on the differences from 2017 I believe.

I am not looking to disable the circulation at the moment so keeping all the 86 innards and just needing to swap some of the vacuum lines for vent, max, and norm.

Suggestions on the best/cleanest way to do this?

Just cut and rejoin with a vacuum line adapter?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n45296/IMG_20191207_153758.jpg

But I'm not sure I understand about the thread. Do you have a link?

And, I know I don't understand about swapping the vacuum lines. But, I'll guess that you are using an earlier control in place of a later one. If I remember correctly, the vacuum lines themselves are the same, but the connector to the control is different. So I think you can swap the controls as long as you use the earlier vacuum connector and hoses.

Or, has the three football games today lowered my already limited intelligence to a new low? :nabble_smiley_sad:

Hey Gary!

On the switch -

I believe so. I read through the documentation about the rod lash and tried to center it. That kind of grey (not black and white) stuff drives me crazy but I did confirm that if I look in the slot in the switch when I take the key out I can see through it. Is that a good indicator?

For the hvac-

Here is the thread: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Vacuum-Controlled-Heater-Core-Valve-tp4276p4691.html

I didn't explain myself well at all.

I am going to keep the 1986 guts (so the yellow vacuum block) but just swap out the face plate with an earlier one.

Unfortunately, the vent-max-norm spots are different (compare this photo to the one above).

IMG_20191207_153806.jpg.07aff00a98d920abeaf824161a4dd3cf.jpg

So while I might be able to remember the labels are just wrong for those and leave the lines as is, it won't be very user friendly.

I would rather not cut the lines if there is a way to avoid it. Wonder if there is a way to remove the hoses from the rubbery block and then swap them there? Would just avoid a splice.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gary!

On the switch -

I believe so. I read through the documentation about the rod lash and tried to center it. That kind of grey (not black and white) stuff drives me crazy but I did confirm that if I look in the slot in the switch when I take the key out I can see through it. Is that a good indicator?

For the hvac-

Here is the thread: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Vacuum-Controlled-Heater-Core-Valve-tp4276p4691.html

I didn't explain myself well at all.

I am going to keep the 1986 guts (so the yellow vacuum block) but just swap out the face plate with an earlier one.

Unfortunately, the vent-max-norm spots are different (compare this photo to the one above).

So while I might be able to remember the labels are just wrong for those and leave the lines as is, it won't be very user friendly.

I would rather not cut the lines if there is a way to avoid it. Wonder if there is a way to remove the hoses from the rubbery block and then swap them there? Would just avoid a splice.

I don't think they pull out that easy if at all and would not risk messing it up and then have to splice in a different plug.

I would just cut the lines and use short rubber hose to put it back together.

Before you get into that check the only cable the control uses as I think different years used different cables and the way they attached, or maybe that was on the non-AC trucks?

Dave ----

I don't think they pull out that easy if at all and would not risk messing it up and then have to splice in a different plug.

I would just cut the lines and use short rubber hose to put it back together.

Before you get into that check the only cable the control uses as I think different years used different cables and the way they attached, or maybe that was on the non-AC trucks?

Dave ----

Dave - I think you are right about the cables. I haven't found the reference, but somewhere we discussed cables and there were something like two changes in the Bullnose era.

I'm still looking .... :nabble_anim_working:

Looks like there were four cables:

And here are Jonathan's pics of them.

Thanks guys. The cable won't be a problem because all that will be 86. I am just changing the faceplate - so no moving parts or anything.

I'll plan on splicing but I will trace the lines first just in case there is a way to swap the ends around instead.

Need to look at the electrical connection on the yellow block as well to ensure that part can actually be modified for this change.

Thanks guys. The cable won't be a problem because all that will be 86. I am just changing the faceplate - so no moving parts or anything.

I'll plan on splicing but I will trace the lines first just in case there is a way to swap the ends around instead.

Need to look at the electrical connection on the yellow block as well to ensure that part can actually be modified for this change.

Ok. Keep us posted. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ok. Keep us posted. :nabble_smiley_good:

For sure. Got out my electrical/vacuum book to check out this evening.

Just a side story that doesn't directly relate to Camano -

When I was looking for HVAC parts in the jy yesterday I stopped in front of truck that had always been inaccessible and barely visible due to thorns for the past few years I've been going. I wanted a not-as-badly faded HVAC control and I thought the thorns might have helped out. Since I was in my coveralls and thick jacket I literally threw myself backwards breaking through the thorns until I could access the rolled down window and climbed/fell through (winter clothing doesn't make for graceful gymnastics). Inside I was rewarded with a fairly red HVAC, a locking hood release, and a 2nd gen dash clock. I was most excited about the clock as I have only ever found the 3rd gen style.

Probably the best part though (might be a location joke but...) was when a couple guys walked by, did a triple take, and tried to peer through the thorns after hearing some noise and eventually making eye contact with me as I was just sitting in the cab of a truck that looked like those jumanji vines had won out.

Going back to the locking hood latch from earlier - it looks like the locking glove box latches use the same wafers.

Comparing a 1 from each:

IMG_20191208_134129.thumb.jpg.93ce459c41bd93b53bf83ce8c682dea6.jpg

For sure. Got out my electrical/vacuum book to check out this evening.

Just a side story that doesn't directly relate to Camano -

When I was looking for HVAC parts in the jy yesterday I stopped in front of truck that had always been inaccessible and barely visible due to thorns for the past few years I've been going. I wanted a not-as-badly faded HVAC control and I thought the thorns might have helped out. Since I was in my coveralls and thick jacket I literally threw myself backwards breaking through the thorns until I could access the rolled down window and climbed/fell through (winter clothing doesn't make for graceful gymnastics). Inside I was rewarded with a fairly red HVAC, a locking hood release, and a 2nd gen dash clock. I was most excited about the clock as I have only ever found the 3rd gen style.

Probably the best part though (might be a location joke but...) was when a couple guys walked by, did a triple take, and tried to peer through the thorns after hearing some noise and eventually making eye contact with me as I was just sitting in the cab of a truck that looked like those jumanji vines had won out.

Going back to the locking hood latch from earlier - it looks like the locking glove box latches use the same wafers.

Comparing a 1 from each:

Got the truck back from the body shop today. Really wishing I had a heated shop now.

Thought the tailgate came out nice. The truck had the 86 trim so they had to weld the holes.

IMG_20191209_181235.jpg.993a1e290a348699710bb91284ffb3bb.jpg

Got the truck back from the body shop today. Really wishing I had a heated shop now.

Thought the tailgate came out nice. The truck had the 86 trim so they had to weld the holes.

That is beautiful! I'll bet the whole truck looks like that. :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, a heated shop is great. But years ago I bought a used house furnace and installed it in my garage. It was a downdraft and I set it on a box that had it then blow across the floor, right under the vehicles. And it drew from the ceiling. Worked a treat, but you had to be careful with chemicals.