Bullnose Forums

The Camano Experience

kramttocs

I've heard/read good things about ACC, and like the idea of the mass backing. Glad you are testing it for me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Definitely :nabble_smiley_happy:

I know carpet isn't super exciting but I wanted to provide my thoughts on it initially as well as during install because I didn't find many posts for these trucks that had either the mass backing or the essex style.

I debated quite a bit on the mass backing or not and it was really the cowl leak issue that swayed my decision. My thought process being that I'd like to easily see the sheet metal of the floor pan for inspection if needed.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely :nabble_smiley_happy:

I know carpet isn't super exciting but I wanted to provide my thoughts on it initially as well as during install because I didn't find many posts for these trucks that had either the mass backing or the essex style.

I debated quite a bit on the mass backing or not and it was really the cowl leak issue that swayed my decision. My thought process being that I'd like to easily see the sheet metal of the floor pan for inspection if needed.

I see that ACC has cutpile, Essex, and vinyl. And little pictures. But no descriptions. So, what is the Essex style? How does it differ from cut pile?

I see that ACC has cutpile, Essex, and vinyl. And little pictures. But no descriptions. So, what is the Essex style? How does it differ from cut pile?

I wasn't sure either so I ordered a few of their samples with both Essex and cutpile.

Cutpile is the same as the stock carpet.

Looks like the differences are count per inch and thickness. The Essex isn't a lot thicker but it is noticeable (photo below). If you fold the cutpile in half you can see the backing whereas with Essex it's not near as easy. I would say that after leaving something heavy on the Essex, the imprint would bounce out faster than the cutpile

I would agree with ACC that the Essex would be considered 'nicer' - hence the upgrade cost but it's not a night and day thing, nor do I think one would be the least bit disappointed with the cutpile.

Before I install it I will lay the two side by side and walk over them to get a better comparison of stock vs Essex for everyone. The rear portion under the back seat of the old carpet should be pretty similar to original condition.

IMG_20190819_130041.jpg.60334f5d65331b1c1e69498f177a3929.jpg

I wasn't sure either so I ordered a few of their samples with both Essex and cutpile.

Cutpile is the same as the stock carpet.

Looks like the differences are count per inch and thickness. The Essex isn't a lot thicker but it is noticeable (photo below). If you fold the cutpile in half you can see the backing whereas with Essex it's not near as easy. I would say that after leaving something heavy on the Essex, the imprint would bounce out faster than the cutpile

I would agree with ACC that the Essex would be considered 'nicer' - hence the upgrade cost but it's not a night and day thing, nor do I think one would be the least bit disappointed with the cutpile.

Before I install it I will lay the two side by side and walk over them to get a better comparison of stock vs Essex for everyone. The rear portion under the back seat of the old carpet should be pretty similar to original condition.

Good to know, but I'll be anxious to see your test results.

Good to know, but I'll be anxious to see your test results.

Got a couple items wrapped up tonight for after paint. Finished putting together the door latches after coating them and the rods. Just a word of wisdom if coating these things - there is a small spring piece in between the two metal parts in the second photo that needs to be removed before coating. I'd removed the big spring but didn't realize exactly what that other one was. It's thin enough that it can't break through the coating after baking and will just bend leaving you to have to pull new springs from the jy. Fortunately easy to do.

IMG_20190819_171919.jpg.575048785f035467655521d99167b32e.jpg

IMG_20190819_172024.jpg.9e838a33ce0f21134f295a513377c290.jpg

Also finished putting together my tailgate handle after disassembly, coating, and buffing. Still need to find the little spring as mine was missing. The tailgate rods are coated and are waiting for my foam gun to be returned from a friend's so I can remake the foam rattle-suppressors.

IMG_20190819_194748.jpg.92096d295d280b5864f6cecb31b0bf1f.jpg

Got a couple items wrapped up tonight for after paint. Finished putting together the door latches after coating them and the rods. Just a word of wisdom if coating these things - there is a small spring piece in between the two metal parts in the second photo that needs to be removed before coating. I'd removed the big spring but didn't realize exactly what that other one was. It's thin enough that it can't break through the coating after baking and will just bend leaving you to have to pull new springs from the jy. Fortunately easy to do.

Also finished putting together my tailgate handle after disassembly, coating, and buffing. Still need to find the little spring as mine was missing. The tailgate rods are coated and are waiting for my foam gun to be returned from a friend's so I can remake the foam rattle-suppressors.

Oh, and my hinges for the blend door mod came in. Ordered 1 extra in case I messed up but guess the shipper was feeling generous😊

IMG_20190818_162135.jpg.8a5a0e73ca9809ff55857380f83f4933.jpg

Scott - That's awesome work. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the powder coating, I'd like to see the pics more up close and personal, but even zooming on my screen doesn't really do it. How 'bout editing the code that Nabble sticks in to include "width="100%", as shown below: (I've removed the "" characters from the front and rear so's it doesn't post a pic and you can see the code.)

nabble_img src="Big_Blues_Crossmember_Hack_Cleaned_Up.jpg" border="0"width="100%"/

Do you have a thread going for your tow rig? 😎

Not yet :nabble_smiley_beam:

I am going to put one together although it won't get a whole lot of activity. Been holding off because I am trying to find some photos of using the gin poles to set my fence corner posts last summer as that is really the neat thing about the truck.

Not yet :nabble_smiley_beam:

I am going to put one together although it won't get a whole lot of activity. Been holding off because I am trying to find some photos of using the gin poles to set my fence corner posts last summer as that is really the neat thing about the truck.

Tried to take some better photos at lunch but my phone isn't great in the photo department. If there is anything specific you'd like me to focus on, let me know.

IMG_20190820_120834.thumb.jpg.8796a5495a40e025afbd88a922ff48f4.jpg

IMG_20190820_120714.thumb.jpg.9a57c2f11ddba1fa64565f2af0c8618d.jpg

IMG_20190820_120826.thumb.jpg.de243ace915364d26e2cc5d5991a03a5.jpg

IMG_20190820_120920.thumb.jpg.3912d8a7b3d30261983de7ee152c1e2d.jpg

Also finished putting together the parking brake assembly after I'd taken it apart for coating.

IMG_20190820_121028.thumb.jpg.7f623e195cda61cde682a00e6c4e42da.jpg

IMG_20190820_121053.thumb.jpg.6d262c2d93e6c1c3437721ebe3cd16b3.jpg

Everything needs a good wipe down after I install it in the truck to get the excess lithium grease and greasy fingerprints that are all over them off.

My approach has been anything outside the cab is coated with Mirror Black. Everything inside or that can be seen inside (vent window frames, door hardware, wipers) gets semigloss black.