Bullnose Forums

Fender Shims

As anyone who has taken their fenders off knows, the longevity and re-usability of the pressed cardboard-type factory shim is limited.

When searching for what to use for mine I found a couple different ideas. I won't list them here as I am hoping others that have personally used them (and who knows what else) will chime in with photos and experience.

While at a home improvement store this evening I grabbed a few of the vinyl plank samples (slightly disappointed that there wasn't a Rosewood offering...) so I could compare them to the factory shim when I got home.

IMG_20190805_194601.jpg.716f53a6e88caf6e02a7eca4050baad2.jpg

In comparing them they are a little thicker so they may not work but I also don't know how compressed the factory one has gotten over time. So I went ahead and stacked a couple to run through the jigsaw. If the thickness doesn't cause a problem I think they will work well.

IMG_20190805_212359.jpg.6ae2e50eb0222f4c68e1b9b5109e0cd7.jpg

IMG_20190805_212230.jpg.55e62da3bbc4718feda8ccc20623fa79.jpg

Again, if you have found something that works for the shim, please chime in as it never hurts to have options and if these are too thick I will be looking for alternatives :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Peel & stick linoleum tiles have always been a popular alternative.

(They stay in place while you are trying to get the fender bolted on)

I hope the thickness of your vinyl plank works out for you.

Ah, that's a great idea. I didn't find that one when searching the forums somehow.

Ah, that's a great idea. I didn't find that one when searching the forums somehow.

If you really wanted to get it down to a gnat's ass, I suppose you could use a piece of Formica too.

I use the pieces on my Wilsonart chip chain for shims in the shop all the time.

Someone usually has trimmings from a laminate job.

Or you could just buy the counter end finishing cap they sell at box stores.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/VT-Dimensions-7-5-in-W-x-28-in-H-x-0-75-in-D-Formica-Laminate-Kitchen-Countertop-End-Cap/1000427577

There's got to be 7 4" sections in one of those if you count the backsplash part.

Peel & stick linoleum tiles have always been a popular alternative.

(They stay in place while you are trying to get the fender bolted on)

I hope the thickness of your vinyl plank works out for you.

Mine were not Peel & Stick tiles but that need glue put down first.

They were easy to trim to size but I found when trying them and if you needed to undo the bolts to add or remove a shim they fell apart.

I made enough that when I had the right number of shims I installed the same number when I did not need to mess to them again.

20170121_082744.jpg.cfdcf67b206660b5032a32b5d9dba1b5.jpg

I think if I had to do it again I would find something that would not fall apart after it was under pressure.

Dave ----