Bullnose Forums

Tips & Techniques: Mechanic's workarounds (McGyver stuff)

ArdWrknTrk

Does anyone else have "bright ideas" or "tricks of the trade"?

This may already be a widely known and common tool...I have no idea, but a "Refrigeration Wrench" comes in really handy with your tap and die set.

https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Refrigeration-Klein-Tools-68310/dp/B0002RI86Y

313a0pSU-L.jpg.3b14ffdb9f6ddde9ce7ee27490e00d70.jpg

It's not something that you'll use every day, but if you're like me and find yourself trying to tap a hole in a tight location from time to time, one of these wrenches sure is handy. Now...it doesn't fit the square head on all taps, but it does fit many of them.

Does anyone else have "bright ideas" or "tricks of the trade"?

This may already be a widely known and common tool...I have no idea, but a "Refrigeration Wrench" comes in really handy with your tap and die set.

https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Refrigeration-Klein-Tools-68310/dp/B0002RI86Y

It's not something that you'll use every day, but if you're like me and find yourself trying to tap a hole in a tight location from time to time, one of these wrenches sure is handy. Now...it doesn't fit the square head on all taps, but it does fit many of them.

That's pretty slick!

Would you mind if I moved your post to the mechanics tricks, and McGyvering thread?

When needing to pinpoint an engine noise. Find a long handled screw driver, or a broom stick. Place one end on the suspected noise origination point, and place your fist on the other end. Then place your ear over your fist. The stick functions as a doctors stethoscope.

Move the stick around until you pinpoint the noise.

When needing to pinpoint an engine noise. Find a long handled screw driver, or a broom stick. Place one end on the suspected noise origination point, and place your fist on the other end. Then place your ear over your fist. The stick functions as a doctors stethoscope.

Move the stick around until you pinpoint the noise.

Jim, here is one little very simple something I witnessed. Perhaps it will help get the thread started.

A friend / Ford Technician was working on the engine of a F350 with large tires. Before starting, he released the air thereby deflating the front tires. This lowered the front end, making it easier for him.

Jim, here is one little very simple something I witnessed. Perhaps it will help get the thread started.

A friend / Ford Technician was working on the engine of a F350 with large tires. Before starting, he released the air thereby deflating the front tires. This lowered the front end, making it easier for him.

Is it okay to move this to the mcguyver thread, David?

Wheel steps (that hook over the front tire) are great too!

Is it okay to move this to the mcguyver thread, David?

Wheel steps (that hook over the front tire) are great too!

Yes works great.

I picked one up because I had to work in the intake / EFI exh manifolds and leaning across the top of the fender and cause 2 maybe 3 things.

Next day black & blue on you from the fender.

Dents in the fender.

Broken ribs when the step stool fly's out from under your feet and you land on the fender putting a dent in it.

Dave ----

Broken ribs when the step stool fly's out from under your feet and you land on the fender putting a dent in it.

Ooof!

I once had an empty compound bucket kick out and the hood latch caught me right in the solarplexus.

I was gaffed, and couldn't get enough wind to push myself up and off.

**Broke my sternum loose from some cartilage, but no ribs (knock wood)