Bullnose Forums

A new tool

ArdWrknTrk

Wow! That's a lot of rod! But they are probably "wet", so are ruined for arc welding. However with the flux broken off they should work fine for oxy. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was thinking the vary same thing, wet and no good :nabble_smiley_cry:

With the flux broken off has to be better than using coat hangers for welding rod LOL

Dave ----

just figured out the quote :nabble_anim_jump:

and smileys

I've welded exhaust systems 'back in the day' with coat hangers but I doubt I'd use them structural welds.

I need to sort them out and find an efficient way to get all the flux off.

There's a lot of 6010 and 7018 in a few diameters. And what appears to be some stainless or nickel rod.

MR means low hydrogen, right?

Fleetweld 47 is a kind of jack of all trades stick that I've seen used for trailers before.

I don't really know much about stick welding, but I know i have many choices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've welded exhaust systems 'back in the day' with coat hangers but I doubt I'd use them structural welds.

I need to sort them out and find an efficient way to get all the flux off.

There's a lot of 6010 and 7018 in a few diameters. And what appears to be some stainless or nickel rod.

MR means low hydrogen, right?

Fleetweld 47 is a kind of jack of all trades stick that I've seen used for trailers before.

I don't really know much about stick welding, but I know i have many choices.

Well, I have 272 pounds of welding electrode!!!!!

I upscaled the crappy little cart with HF's finest wheels.

I moved the axle back by using a piece of 1x2 box, which helps keep the cart from tipping backwards.

IMG_20171115_140712.thumb.jpg.70ea907af82fa668db6c733f83b26dfa.jpg

👍

Gary, even though you cannot precisely heat the part you want to expand without heating the rest, the expansion and contraction of all the materials will often break the bolt loose. For example, an exhaust manifold bolt . . text book expanding would say, expand the hole . .in the head :) HUH ?? Heat that bolt cherry red and it will back out with ease.

Gary, even though you cannot precisely heat the part you want to expand without heating the rest, the expansion and contraction of all the materials will often break the bolt loose. For example, an exhaust manifold bolt . . text book expanding would say, expand the hole . .in the head :) HUH ?? Heat that bolt cherry red and it will back out with ease.

I agree completely. My point was that my MAPP gas torch doesn’t put out enough heat with a small flame to quickly heat a nut or bolt. So I have to turn it up and it heats everything, which isn’t as effective as heating the just the fastener.

In contrast, Jim’s little oxy set will heat the bolt quickly with a small flame, leaving the surrounding parts relatively cool. That much more effective in breaking something loose.

I agree completely. My point was that my MAPP gas torch doesn’t put out enough heat with a small flame to quickly heat a nut or bolt. So I have to turn it up and it heats everything, which isn’t as effective as heating the just the fastener.

In contrast, Jim’s little oxy set will heat the bolt quickly with a small flame, leaving the surrounding parts relatively cool. That much more effective in breaking something loose.

No argument with the choice of heat, no doubt oxy is best. It often isn't as important as where you apply the heat than it is how much heat is available. I won't show a pic of my BIG oxy setup . . actually lucked into to it many, many, and even, many years ago. Sometimes good things just fall into your hands.

• 3 weeks later...

No argument with the choice of heat, no doubt oxy is best. It often isn't as important as where you apply the heat than it is how much heat is available. I won't show a pic of my BIG oxy setup . . actually lucked into to it many, many, and even, many years ago. Sometimes good things just fall into your hands.

I picked up a rosebud tip at harbor freight yesterday.

Some soapstone sticks, magnetic squares, and brazing rods too.

I replaced both regulators since they were not close to right.

I need to find a better way to remove *all* the flux off these stick electrodes, or give them to someone who makes art.

Anyway, I'd almost forgotten how much I like (love?) to gas weld.

Take your time. It's so forgiving.

I need to find a better way to remove *all* the flux off these stick electrodes, or give them to someone who makes art.

It is certainly a slower pace than when you have arcs shooting everywhere. Sounds like you are having fun.

On the flux,you need a tumbler with rocks in it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I wonder if you could bake the rods to make them usable?

I have not been around that type of welding in a l o n g time to remember if you can or not.

If water made them junk I also wonder if you were to soak them in water if it would come off?

Dave ----

I wonder if you could bake the rods to make them usable?

I have not been around that type of welding in a l o n g time to remember if you can or not.

If water made them junk I also wonder if you were to soak them in water if it would come off?

Dave ----

The rods never got rained on or anything.

Many of their holder ends are not rusty.

Gary,

I have a case tumbler, bit I don't want to cut the rods into 4" pieces