Bullnose Forums

A new tool

ArdWrknTrk

Today I picked up a little oxy/acytalene setup.

It had been sitting outside for a LONG time.

I cleaned up the cart and picked up some new hose at HF.

I get gas for free so I swapped the B tank and the 60 for fresh fills.

I have a torch set on order from eBay.

Given that I have no real electricity (800W 2stroke generator) the ability to heat, cut and fuse is a huge step in the right direction.

IMG_20171103_191234.thumb.jpg.525e051477e7fab7ede46841fa1c872c.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever tried using stick welder rod for gas filler?

I suppose I could buy a few pounds of rod, but I have dozens of pounds of electrode in the Super Duty that are going to be scrapped.

I’ve often thought I need a set of those bottles, if nothing else then for brazing. But being able to weld small things would be a big advantage. After all, that’s the way I learned to weld so surely could do it again.

And I have used old welding rod for oxy welding. I scraped off most of the flux first, but it worked well. If you have lots of it then give it a try.

I’ve often thought I need a set of those bottles, if nothing else then for brazing. But being able to weld small things would be a big advantage. After all, that’s the way I learned to weld so surely could do it again.

And I have used old welding rod for oxy welding. I scraped off most of the flux first, but it worked well. If you have lots of it then give it a try.

I was thinking about how much the heat would help in getting the exhaust manifolds off my donor engine.

My plumbing torch is good for solder and most brazing, but is not as fast or controlled when things get thick.

Gas welding and brazing is how I learned too.

Cutting and heat for bending is going to help a lot as well.

It's a little pos, but it's mine. :nabble_anim_jump:

I was thinking about how much the heat would help in getting the exhaust manifolds off my donor engine.

My plumbing torch is good for solder and most brazing, but is not as fast or controlled when things get thick.

Gas welding and brazing is how I learned too.

Cutting and heat for bending is going to help a lot as well.

It's a little pos, but it's mine. :nabble_anim_jump:

Heating exhaust manifold bolts is what came to mind yesterday as I was trying to get the dip stick tube out of the 90’s pan. I could see that I was going to break something if I did it cold, and my MAPP gas torch wasn’t going to work in the engine compartment when all the lines and hoses are still in place.

Besides, it really isn’t “surgical” enough to heat a bolt red hot without getting the surrounding part hot as well, and that’s not the best approach. So, the little tanks with a real welding torch would be ideal. 👍

Heating exhaust manifold bolts is what came to mind yesterday as I was trying to get the dip stick tube out of the 90’s pan. I could see that I was going to break something if I did it cold, and my MAPP gas torch wasn’t going to work in the engine compartment when all the lines and hoses are still in place.

Besides, it really isn’t “surgical” enough to heat a bolt red hot without getting the surrounding part hot as well, and that’s not the best approach. So, the little tanks with a real welding torch would be ideal. 👍

I have a REAL plumber's torch with a B tank, and another with an M tank for small spaces.

But the added oxygen brings the object to glowing much faster even if the straight acetylene tip and flame are the same size.

Do you think I could get a start with this?

IMG_20171104_170339.thumb.jpg.90a9fb43a1c97b7da8278f628281bd79.jpg

Wow! That's a lot of rod! But they are probably "wet", so are ruined for arc welding. However with the flux broken off they should work fine for oxy. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was thinking the vary same thing, wet and no good :nabble_smiley_cry:

With the flux broken off has to be better than using coat hangers for welding rod LOL

Dave ----

just figured out the quote :nabble_anim_jump:

and smileys

Wow! That's a lot of rod! But they are probably "wet", so are ruined for arc welding. However with the flux broken off they should work fine for oxy. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was thinking the vary same thing, wet and no good :nabble_smiley_cry:

With the flux broken off has to be better than using coat hangers for welding rod LOL

Dave ----

just figured out the quote :nabble_anim_jump:

and smileys

Coat hangers? They work really, really well. Used them on my very first welding job - in 1964. We took a '47 Chevy panel truck, pulled the body off, rebuilt the engine, and sectioned the frame 3'. Made a dune buggy. The welds never gave us any problem, in spite of jumping the thing, twisting it, etc. :nabble_smiley_good: