Bullnose Forums

Flareside bed grounding?

Why? Even Ford didn't like that, which is why they improved it in '85. It'll look better with working taillights than with a wiring layout that ONLY YOU will know isn't exactly factory for that year.

Haha...Steve, the answer to your question of why, is personal preference. Sometimes we prefer things a certain way, and that's OK. :nabble_smiley_grin:

It was a rhetorical question - I wanted YOU to think about why you're trying to stay with an inferior circuit. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a rhetorical question - I wanted YOU to think about why you're trying to stay with an inferior circuit. :nabble_smiley_wink:

LOL, you clearly care about it much more than I do. You would have to define the level of inferiority for me to put more consideration into than I am. The stock grounding system worked fine for 35 years. If I wire it as per the stocking grounding on a 1985 Flareside, am I or anybody else going to see a noticeable improvement in illumination in my tail lights? How would one measure this other than me explaining to somebody that Steve83 says my tail light circuit is inferior??...lol.

Why? Even Ford didn't like that, which is why they improved it in '85. It'll look better with working taillights than with a wiring layout that ONLY YOU will know isn't exactly factory for that year.

Haha...Steve, the answer to your question of why, is personal preference. Sometimes we prefer things a certain way, and that's OK. :nabble_smiley_grin:

My license plate lamp on blue82 is the grounding for the tail lights. I have a ground wire running all the way back there too Cory. Then a short pigtail going to the bed. Tail lights are grounded to the bed.

My plan was to redo this rediculous routing and use some nice heavy duty ground straps from bed to frame.

LOL, you clearly care about it much more than I do. You would have to define the level of inferiority for me to put more consideration into than I am. The stock grounding system worked fine for 35 years. If I wire it as per the stocking grounding on a 1985 Flareside, am I or anybody else going to see a noticeable improvement in illumination in my tail lights? How would one measure this other than me explaining to somebody that Steve83 says my tail light circuit is inferior??...lol.

If you don't care how your truck is built, why start a thread specifically asking for help on it? Since you don't care about how it's grounded, I don't care to explain the differences. :nabble_smiley_good:

If I recall, the Plug-ins for the lamps are 3 pronged 1 for power for park, 1 for directional 1 for ground?

Ron, I didn't realize until I went to wire in my new tail lights that of the 3 wires going to the tail light, none of them are grounds. One is for park, one is for directional/brake, and one is for the reverse lamp. The 3 mounting studs on the tail light housings are the grounds.

It looks like in some cases, they ran an external ground wire out to the tail light with a ring terminal that was attached to one of the mounting studs. My truck did not have this wire, and neither did Ray's as noted above, but Din's 1982 did have the wire. Ray says his truck has a ground wire to the bed.

Do you have an external wire going to one of the mounting studs on your tail lights on your '86?

Since I've rebuilt and painted/power coated my bed, it went from being a poor ground to being a terrible ground, so I was just curious how other trucks were wired up.

In any case, it's not a big deal. I'll run a ground wire either to the bed Like Ray's or to the tail light like Din's.