Bullnose Forums

81 f100 inline 6

Fred1090

Jim, safety should always be a top concern man no worries at all.

Also, another question for you much more experienced guys here. If I could theoretically lay hands on a NOS copper/brass core w/AC option radiator, would that be better than the modern spectra ones?

There's a trade off.

Aluminum transfers heat MUCH better than brass.

But o-rings or seals at the header tanks can fail. (and be recrimped)

Copper/brass radiators are soldered together, and probably stronger.

But they cost $$$ and the days of the local radiator repair shop are LONG gone.

I used to buy Modine. They are long gone too.

In their place is Visteon/Spectra.

I buy the Spectra and don't worry.

If it leaks from the seal I have the proper vise-grip tool, and if the core gets a hole i swap it out

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a trade off.

Aluminum transfers heat MUCH better than brass.

But o-rings or seals at the header tanks can fail. (and be recrimped)

Copper/brass radiators are soldered together, and probably stronger.

But they cost $$$ and the days of the local radiator repair shop are LONG gone.

I used to buy Modine. They are long gone too.

In their place is Visteon/Spectra.

I buy the Spectra and don't worry.

If it leaks from the seal I have the proper vise-grip tool, and if the core gets a hole i swap it out

So i guess the question is, "better" how?

No, it isn't better at transferring heat, if that's what you're asking.

Jim, safety should always be a top concern man no worries at all.

Also, another question for you much more experienced guys here. If I could theoretically lay hands on a NOS copper/brass core w/AC option radiator, would that be better than the modern spectra ones?

I agree with Jim - aluminum is much better at heat transfer. But I buy all aluminum radiators if I can get them, not aluminum with a plastic top or bottom tank.

And Spectra is pretty much the standard. You can spend a lot more money and get a better radiator, but I don't know that it's worth it.

I agree with Jim - aluminum is much better at heat transfer. But I buy all aluminum radiators if I can get them, not aluminum with a plastic top or bottom tank.

And Spectra is pretty much the standard. You can spend a lot more money and get a better radiator, but I don't know that it's worth it.

Ok that was my question, sorry I was not more specific. I know in PC cooling, copper is always the better option. It has a much higher heat capacity than aluminum and transfers more efficiently too but is much more expensive. I didn't know how the brass core/lead solder would affect transfer. Thanks!

Ok that was my question, sorry I was not more specific. I know in PC cooling, copper is always the better option. It has a much higher heat capacity than aluminum and transfers more efficiently too but is much more expensive. I didn't know how the brass core/lead solder would affect transfer. Thanks!

Have a look at brass on this chart from Engineering Toolbox: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html

Pure copper is far too ductile for the thickness of the core passages.

The 10 or so psi, and the vibration would destroy it in weeks.

If you were going for Concours, then by all means get the brass one.

Solder and furnace brazing were the only way to go 100 years ago.

Heck, 50 years ago brazed rocket bells got us to the moon.

But we have come a long way in manufacturing since then.

Silver would be nice! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Have a look at brass on this chart from Engineering Toolbox: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html

Pure copper is far too ductile for the thickness of the core passages.

The 10 or so psi, and the vibration would destroy it in weeks.

If you were going for Concours, then by all means get the brass one.

Solder and furnace brazing were the only way to go 100 years ago.

Heck, 50 years ago brazed rocket bells got us to the moon.

But we have come a long way in manufacturing since then.

Silver would be nice! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I don't know if you can get a copper radiator with out really needing to look for it as I think the Alum./plastic is the standard now.

20181221_144222.jpg.34717c272a59f60301d35e242e5aab3a.jpg

This one replaced the pin hole leaking copper one my truck had.

I also think that the new Alum./plastic radiators are a lot better now than when they first came out.

Yes they did seam to leak at the rubber seal between plastic tanks and the Alum. core, I have not heard of one leaking in a long time now.

I got mine thru Rock Auto and the shroud think was from Dennis Carpenter, it is for an 81 300 six with AC.

Dave ----