Bullnose Forums

81 f100 inline 6

Fred1090

Rembrandt, if I can avoid it I'm going to keep the column and just swap that collar out, but if not, I will give it away to another member before I chuck it. I'm finding out how hard the parts are to find for these old things. If anyone knows where I can find a flareside bed for my truck.... LOL

If that broken part in the column is aluminum then it is the original 3spd shift collar, and will likely be very hard to find. Just an FYI...a truck with a factory floor shift will have a plastic spacer ring where that aluminum piece is, so if you see one of those it should also work as a filler piece. The lower plastic section was the same on all of them. The columns are not bad to work on...the non-tilt ones at least.

Now...finding a Flareside bed...that's a whole different story!

It is aluminium, but thankfully the guy here has a whole column for me for $80. Non-tilt, floor shift original in working order. Gonna grab that this weekend.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were three levels of heater or A/C in some years:
  1. Heater: These had only floor & windshield registers and no vents in the dash.

High/Low Vent: These systems had the vents of the heater plus vents in the dash. So you could direct cool air on you from the outside. But no A/C.

A/C: This added an A/C system to the High/Low Vent
got it Gary, and I have the heater only style. so if I want AC I get to go aftermarket or put a whole new dash and then all the AC components in the engine bay and cut out the firewall. Jim, your help has been invaluable here. part added to the list. Thanks again!

got it Gary, and I have the heater only style. so if I want AC I get to go aftermarket or put a whole new dash and then all the AC components in the engine bay and cut out the firewall.

Jim, your help has been invaluable here. part added to the list. Thanks again!

I think I posted this, the hardest part of adding AC to your truck will be mounting the compressor on the six.

With either parts from a factory AC truck and cutting & filling holes to mount the box to the firewall and dash with vents or after market box you still need a compressor mounted to the motor.

I would say either way you go start looking for compressor mounts so you have them when the time comes.

Dave ----

got it Gary, and I have the heater only style. so if I want AC I get to go aftermarket or put a whole new dash and then all the AC components in the engine bay and cut out the firewall.

Jim, your help has been invaluable here. part added to the list. Thanks again!

I think I posted this, the hardest part of adding AC to your truck will be mounting the compressor on the six.

With either parts from a factory AC truck and cutting & filling holes to mount the box to the firewall and dash with vents or after market box you still need a compressor mounted to the motor.

I would say either way you go start looking for compressor mounts so you have them when the time comes.

Dave ----

I think you're right Dave, thanks for all your advice so far and I'll add it to the list. Just need to get the column, carb, distributor, radiator, tires and clutch fixed. Then I'll be right on to adding stuff. and it gets a whole different kinda hot down here compared to KY where I'm from so AC is a big want.

I think you're right Dave, thanks for all your advice so far and I'll add it to the list. Just need to get the column, carb, distributor, radiator, tires and clutch fixed. Then I'll be right on to adding stuff. and it gets a whole different kinda hot down here compared to KY where I'm from so AC is a big want.

Is that all :nabble_smiley_happy:

I under stand where you are coming from, I just did not do it that way, everything or nothing :nabble_smiley_cry:

Dave ----

Is that all :nabble_smiley_happy:

I under stand where you are coming from, I just did not do it that way, everything or nothing :nabble_smiley_cry:

Dave ----

If it came that way and you want it registered and roadworthy, what choice do you have?

If it came that way and you want it registered and roadworthy, what choice do you have?

Exactly Jim, and my budget and prep for this project was 0. I offered him $1000 for the truck last summer when I was ready for one. He didn't want to sell. Was moving and realized he still couldn't start this truck to move it. Called me and said if Id tow it it was mine. given I have free towing coverage the price was right lol

Also, can anyone confirm if this gasket will work for me?

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/fel-os34601r/applications I see in the reviews it was used on an 83, but the compatibility says 88+

Exactly Jim, and my budget and prep for this project was 0. I offered him $1000 for the truck last summer when I was ready for one. He didn't want to sell. Was moving and realized he still couldn't start this truck to move it. Called me and said if Id tow it it was mine. given I have free towing coverage the price was right lol

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/fel-os34601r/applications I see in the reviews it was used on an 83, but the compatibility says 88+

I can't say, as I'm no expert on the 300.

But maybe there were some bolt hole changes when it went EFI?

I know that with the 460 the water pump changed for '88, and the timing case changed because there was no more fuel pump hole in the side.

That is the one piece oil pan gasket which was introduced in 1987, I believe. It replaced the drip prone 4 piece gasket from earlier. It can be used on earlier oil pans. When the pan is removed, you will see small raised areas around each hole for the mounting bolts. These raised areas helped hold the cork gasket in place. These need to be ground smooth [not difficult].

My 1986 4.9L has had the original gasket set replaced with one of these gaskets and does not leak.