Bullnose Forums

81 f100 inline 6

Fred1090

Also, would the column be available out of your parts truck, and or the tach if it has one?

The parts truck did not have a tach but was able to get one thru a member on here.

It is a 6K tach but I am not complaining it fills that blank in the center.

As for the column the one that was in my truck was not in great shape so I used the one from the parts truck. I used more form the parts truck than I did from mine LOL.

I also don't really want to give up any parts till I have mine on the road and know I will not need them.

I have already needed to rework some of the column and that is just from moving it in & out of the garage.

2 members were looking for that same part. One went from column shift to floor and he reworked that part and painted it don't know if the other member found one yet.

I would say if all you can find is a column shift (auto?) to get it and rework it.

Maybe the other member (Rembrant) will post how he did it?

My project truck was well trashed and I should not have bought but it looked pretty good (floors / rockers) from the bottom but when I got it home and pulled the rubber mat I could see it was hard dirt & grease I was looking at.

Sorry I can be of more help.

Dave ----

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The parts truck did not have a tach but was able to get one thru a member on here.

It is a 6K tach but I am not complaining it fills that blank in the center.

As for the column the one that was in my truck was not in great shape so I used the one from the parts truck. I used more form the parts truck than I did from mine LOL.

I also don't really want to give up any parts till I have mine on the road and know I will not need them.

I have already needed to rework some of the column and that is just from moving it in & out of the garage.

2 members were looking for that same part. One went from column shift to floor and he reworked that part and painted it don't know if the other member found one yet.

I would say if all you can find is a column shift (auto?) to get it and rework it.

Maybe the other member (Rembrant) will post how he did it?

My project truck was well trashed and I should not have bought but it looked pretty good (floors / rockers) from the bottom but when I got it home and pulled the rubber mat I could see it was hard dirt & grease I was looking at.

Sorry I can be of more help.

Dave ----

IMG_20190707_144023.jpg.6a6d05ec78f094005f93ed71939bc876.jpg

IMG_20190707_144038.jpg.876cc5dd9b2585ea44d34f8beff338f3.jpg

IMG_20190707_144058.jpg.5d1fab0bd6d666fddfe10cde52444919.jpg

Pictures of damage to the column. Found a guy who parts 80s f series trucks out here in Atlanta. Gonna see what all he has available, and if not successful I'll take a gamble on that part I found on eBay.

Pictures of damage to the column. Found a guy who parts 80s f series trucks out here in Atlanta. Gonna see what all he has available, and if not successful I'll take a gamble on that part I found on eBay.

The second view is what I was thinking of when I said the thief was prying on the actuator to try and get it started.

The second view is what I was thinking of when I said the thief was prying on the actuator to try and get it started.

thankfully it doesn't seem like he was that smart lol but the good news is I found the shroud for $40 on ebay. so adding that to the list for friday.

Another question for you gurus, what's the best way to repair the sliding back glass latch, just new windows or can I get a repair kit?

Pictures of damage to the column.

By the way, those shift collars were notorious for breaking, so it is possible somebody broke that thing off after the shifter got stuck at some point...lol. It happens.

PS: If you replace that column...you might be able to sell the old one FYI. If it is the original 3-on-the-tree column there are some parts in there that people will buy. I sold a bunch of column parts for around $80 to a guy in NJ. Just an FYI is all...in case you go to throw it away, there are people out there that will pay for some of these obsolete parts.

thankfully it doesn't seem like he was that smart lol but the good news is I found the shroud for $40 on ebay. so adding that to the list for friday.

Another question for you gurus, what's the best way to repair the sliding back glass latch, just new windows or can I get a repair kit?

Get the CR Laurence metal latch from Amazon.

Give me some time to get home and I'll get you the number and link.

Those plastic latches always tear the hinge.

Glad you started a thread on your truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, you had lots of questions. Let's see if I can answer some:

• EOTZ 3790-B fits 19890 - 89 E-F-U100/350,FfSuper Duty) - - w/M/T & w/fixed wheel

• Spectra is a decent brand of cooling system parts

• Luk is a good brand of clutch

• Swapping to A/C on a non-A/C truck is a big pain unless you have the High/Low Vent heater system, and in your pics I don't see vents in the dash so don't think you do. You can check out Dave/FuzzFace2's thread where he replaced half of the firewall to get A/C. But if it were me I'd consider aftermarket.

• A 4 or 5-speed OD transmission is certainly an option. There are several, such as the SROD, M5OD, and ZF5. From what I've read, and there's been discussion of this lately, the M5OD might be the best bet for a light-duty truck, and the ZF5 for a heavier-duty truck.

Another question Gary, what do you mean by high/low vent system? Like Defrost, High, and Low vents? or Defrost and foot/heat vents. Sorry, just not familiar and google doesn't seem to turn anything up.

Rembrandt, if I can avoid it I'm going to keep the column and just swap that collar out, but if not, I will give it away to another member before I chuck it. I'm finding out how hard the parts are to find for these old things. If anyone knows where I can find a flareside bed for my truck.... LOL

Another question Gary, what do you mean by high/low vent system? Like Defrost, High, and Low vents? or Defrost and foot/heat vents. Sorry, just not familiar and google doesn't seem to turn anything up.Rembrandt, if I can avoid it I'm going to keep the column and just swap that collar out, but if not, I will give it away to another member before I chuck it. I'm finding out how hard the parts are to find for these old things. If anyone knows where I can find a flareside bed for my truck.... LOL
There were three levels of heater or A/C in some years:
  1. Heater: These had only floor & windshield registers and no vents in the dash.

High/Low Vent: These systems had the vents of the heater plus vents in the dash. So you could direct cool air on you from the outside. But no A/C.

A/C: This added an A/C system to the High/Low Vent

Rembrandt, if I can avoid it I'm going to keep the column and just swap that collar out, but if not, I will give it away to another member before I chuck it. I'm finding out how hard the parts are to find for these old things. If anyone knows where I can find a flareside bed for my truck.... LOL

If that broken part in the column is aluminum then it is the original 3spd shift collar, and will likely be very hard to find. Just an FYI...a truck with a factory floor shift will have a plastic spacer ring where that aluminum piece is, so if you see one of those it should also work as a filler piece. The lower plastic section was the same on all of them. The columns are not bad to work on...the non-tilt ones at least.

Now...finding a Flareside bed...that's a whole different story!