Bullnose Forums

81 f100 inline 6

Fred1090

Just wanted to start a project thread for my new project.

IMG_20190702_180149_01.thumb.jpg.e80632dcf876b0e6fef8b1dd5b9e14c5.jpg

IMG_20190705_153827.jpg.2fd25612f83a88dfb892dc6328485650.jpg

IMG_20190705_153806.jpg.165ab99cdbf2ed5cde295b87b831a353.jpg

IMG_20190705_153651.jpg.faa7355aea5ab97bde5b645d22c45d41.jpg

Current steps:

swapping all the locks,

cooling system flush as well as new radiator after I get it cleaned up internally, (Spectra OK?)

New clutch (luk brand good?)

Change oil and transmission fluid/filters

Repair the broken shroud thing on the column.

(Does anyone know if this will work? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283446200332 same part but different year code)

Other questions, is adding AC feasible for these trucks? What about swapping to a five speed transmission with overdrive?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you started a thread on your truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, you had lots of questions. Let's see if I can answer some:

• EOTZ 3790-B fits 19890 - 89 E-F-U100/350,FfSuper Duty) - - w/M/T & w/fixed wheel

• Spectra is a decent brand of cooling system parts

• Luk is a good brand of clutch

• Swapping to A/C on a non-A/C truck is a big pain unless you have the High/Low Vent heater system, and in your pics I don't see vents in the dash so don't think you do. You can check out Dave/FuzzFace2's thread where he replaced half of the firewall to get A/C. But if it were me I'd consider aftermarket.

• A 4 or 5-speed OD transmission is certainly an option. There are several, such as the SROD, M5OD, and ZF5. From what I've read, and there's been discussion of this lately, the M5OD might be the best bet for a light-duty truck, and the ZF5 for a heavier-duty truck.

Current steps:

swapping all the locks,

cooling system flush as well as new radiator after I get it cleaned up internally, (Spectra OK?)

(Does anyone know if this will work? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283446200332 same part but different year code)

Other questions, is adding AC feasible for these trucks? What about swapping to a five speed transmission with overdrive?

On the radiator Spectra should be good I con't remember if it was the radiator or AC condenser that was used in my truck also an 81 with a 300 six and T18 trany.

Lik should also be good as I have seen it posted they are good. Again don't remember who made mine but it is new LOL.

I don't know on that column? part can you take a picture a little farther back to get a full picute where this part goes.

OH DONT GET ME STARTED ON AC! ok you got me started :nabble_smiley_evil:

I take it your truck is not a factory AC truck then?

The easiest way I think in that case is after market. Pull out the HVAC box & controls and bolt in the aftermarket box & controls.

Little harder is to find a factory AC truck and get ALL the parts from it to swap into your truck BUT........

The fire walls are different between an AC truck and non-AC truck. If you take a tracing / pattern from the AC truck and place it over your firewall you can cut the holes needed and fill the others.

The hardest to find a factory AC truck and get ALL the parts from it to swap into your truck including the fire wall to swap into your truck. It can and has been done but it is not easy, takes time and skill to do.

You can see the maroon AC firewall over the red non-AC fire wall.

20160327_142322.jpg.be2ed412e28f4cff162df40625b79af1.jpg

When you cut the non-AC fire wall out you have a BIG hole

20160409_125634.jpg.7f4ce184572a4b5e2a899e5f5d45eec8.jpg

And when done right and painted, some tape is not off the fire wall

20160425_152937.jpg.f1a91d1ae8ac6b83d3a8d7ed9a183402.jpg

On the 5sp there are a few ways to go with this and will let the guys that have don't it post up.

They will ask how do you plan to use the truck and what rear gear do you have in it?

Dave ----

Current steps:

swapping all the locks,

On the radiator Spectra should be good I con't remember if it was the radiator or AC condenser that was used in my truck also an 81 with a 300 six and T18 trany.

Lik should also be good as I have seen it posted they are good. Again don't remember who made mine but it is new LOL.

I don't know on that column? part can you take a picture a little farther back to get a full picute where this part goes.

The easiest way I think in that case is after market. Pull out the HVAC box & controls and bolt in the aftermarket box & controls.

Little harder is to find a factory AC truck and get ALL the parts from it to swap into your truck BUT........

The fire walls are different between an AC truck and non-AC truck. If you take a tracing / pattern from the AC truck and place it over your firewall you can cut the holes needed and fill the others.

The hardest to find a factory AC truck and get ALL the parts from it to swap into your truck including the fire wall to swap into your truck. It can and has been done but it is not easy, takes time and skill to do.

On the 5sp there are a few ways to go with this and will let the guys that have don't it post up.

They will ask how do you plan to use the truck and what rear gear do you have in it?

Dave ----

Oh I should also point out for the AC and your 300 six motor.

By farthest the hardest part of adding AC to your truck will be finding the motor brackets for the 300.

You can look at Ford trucks, vans and cars for the parts.

I think you will also need the crank pulley.

Dave ----

Current steps:

swapping all the locks,

Dave ----

Yeah that's way too involved for me for AC Lol i would love to do it but I don't have the tools or the space.

With all the rust in the bed and the hole in the front driver side wheel well plus wanting a different transmission I'm starting to wonder if getting this old girl running well then selling her for something with more options and less rust might be the better way to go. Anyone have any thoughts there? I know these trucks are becoming desirable I had someone offer me $2500 for this one as she sat on the tow truck when I picked it up.

Yeah that's way too involved for me for AC Lol i would love to do it but I don't have the tools or the space.

With all the rust in the bed and the hole in the front driver side wheel well plus wanting a different transmission I'm starting to wonder if getting this old girl running well then selling her for something with more options and less rust might be the better way to go. Anyone have any thoughts there? I know these trucks are becoming desirable I had someone offer me $2500 for this one as she sat on the tow truck when I picked it up.

Wow, $2500 the way she sat is a pretty good deal for you. I sold a good running 4wd F150 w/a 351M and C6 for ~$3000 a couple of years ago.

But you are probably right that it would be less expensive as well as much easier to sell this truck and buy what you are looking for. However, I'd drive this truck for a while as what you think you want might change over time.

Wow, $2500 the way she sat is a pretty good deal for you. I sold a good running 4wd F150 w/a 351M and C6 for ~$3000 a couple of years ago.

But you are probably right that it would be less expensive as well as much easier to sell this truck and buy what you are looking for. However, I'd drive this truck for a while as what you think you want might change over time.

What's the fun in getting a truck that does not need work or vary little work :nabble_smiley_uh:

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a truck and how much work you want to do.

Did I want a truck that needed all the work (cab off frame rebuild) I have done to mine?

Not really but I would not of been happy not to do it the way I have.

Dave ----

What's the fun in getting a truck that does not need work or vary little work :nabble_smiley_uh:

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a truck and how much work you want to do.

Did I want a truck that needed all the work (cab off frame rebuild) I have done to mine?

Dave ----

Fuzzface, not gonna drop it like that to languish. I'll get all the mechanical issues lined out, stop the degradation and see where I stand after. Half the fun is working on them for sure!

But at a certain point if I'm taking two donor trucks to make this one what I want, it may make more sense to use one of those donors as my keeper and just sell this one to someone who can get some use out of her or maybe wants to do the full restoration thing.

Dave ----

Also, would the column be available out of your parts truck, and or the tach if it has one?

Also, would the column be available out of your parts truck, and or the tach if it has one?

A tach can be had from any '81-'86 truck ('cept diesel) but you need the flexible circuit board behind the cluster as well.

V-8's and I-6's use the same tach but there is a point that needs to be grounded(or un-grounded) to change the number of cylinders.