Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Dave - While this is a Bullnose forum, please start a thread on your Javelin. You are family and we'd like to keep up on what our family members are doing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As a start a link to the AMC site I am a member of and when I started project back in 2009

http://theamcforum.com/forum/my-70-javelin-street-car-restore_topic11725.html

And because I lost my domain name the picture links are broken but here is a link to my Javelin pictures

http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/70-Javelin-Mark-Donohue?page=1

When I first started the truck and was talking of the firewall swap and was catching slack from some others were on my side as they knew what I could do as they were members on the AMC site also.

Frame rot

Just a tease of what I did to the frame, check out the pictures and I will start a thread.

Dave ----

Dave, since AMC is now part of FCA, I guess that makes our cars cousins. My best friend used to race a Javelin in SCCA, he may still have some parts left, unfortunately he had a fire that destroyed his barn a number of years ago (and my late father's Craftsman Joiner) and he lost a lot of the spares he still had even though he had sold the car. As near as we could determine, his car was one of the two AMC factory team cars, the Traco Engineering car rather than the Penske car.

Dave, since AMC is now part of FCA, I guess that makes our cars cousins. My best friend used to race a Javelin in SCCA, he may still have some parts left, unfortunately he had a fire that destroyed his barn a number of years ago (and my late father's Craftsman Joiner) and he lost a lot of the spares he still had even though he had sold the car. As near as we could determine, his car was one of the two AMC factory team cars, the Traco Engineering car rather than the Penske car.

Dave - I look forward to the thread. That frame rot looks awful. But it looks like you've reinforced things just a bit. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bill, yes they are cousins.

When I was drag racing my other Javelin and there was a MOPAR meet they would let AMCs run with them and we would do the same at AMC only races.

It's a shame he lost AMC parts as they are really really hard to come by.

You don't hear much of the Traco team always of the Penske team.

I remember reading of someone trying to put a Traco car back in racing order for the old time SCCA meets but cant remember where that was now? Maybe on the AMC forum I am on?

Dave - I look forward to the thread. That frame rot looks awful. But it looks like you've reinforced things just a bit. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, I did not reinforce anything. I cut out the rotted parts of the frame and made new parts to weld in for the inside & bottom, the outside & top were in good shape.

09_frame_part007.jpg.b4d19cdf8a526b6f5634e1e75aba0439.jpg

That part across the lower front is the lower radiator support. At 1 time a vender was making them and I got that one just in time along with the battery tray.

The vender had a hart attack and died, his kids did not want to pick up this and no one knew (kids also) who he used to make the parts for him so they are no longer made.

At one time I was really thinking of seeing if I could talk to the kids to see what I could come up with to carry on with the parts but I was not in a place at that time to take it on.

Anyway that little frame fix is what got me going to restore the car because when I put a little paint on the repair the rest of the car looked like junk LOL

Dave ----

Bill, yes they are cousins.

When I was drag racing my other Javelin and there was a MOPAR meet they would let AMCs run with them and we would do the same at AMC only races.

It's a shame he lost AMC parts as they are really really hard to come by.

You don't hear much of the Traco team always of the Penske team.

I remember reading of someone trying to put a Traco car back in racing order for the old time SCCA meets but cant remember where that was now? Maybe on the AMC forum I am on?

Gary, I did not reinforce anything. I cut out the rotted parts of the frame and made new parts to weld in for the inside & bottom, the outside & top were in good shape.

That part across the lower front is the lower radiator support. At 1 time a vender was making them and I got that one just in time along with the battery tray.

The vender had a hart attack and died, his kids did not want to pick up this and no one knew (kids also) who he used to make the parts for him so they are no longer made.

At one time I was really thinking of seeing if I could talk to the kids to see what I could come up with to carry on with the parts but I was not in a place at that time to take it on.

Anyway that little frame fix is what got me going to restore the car because when I put a little paint on the repair the rest of the car looked like junk LOL

Dave ----

73472675_2477048582348600_3147527702966173696_o.thumb.jpg.9da0795dd6ea6f4622bee75ae8f6672d.jpg

Well that would explain why my tail lights were acting funky on the old Ford!

Also, these new 3 wheelers that are out are pretty damn rowdy!

75543588_2435982483121877_41839724561694720_o.thumb.jpg.60e157e779e5bb7869b9441535a1f8f5.jpg

Cool! Love the sound of the exhaust on that thing.

I / shop had a 68 fast back with the Hi Po 289 / 271hp and 4sp.

We had to install a new exh. and went with the factory duels that had the "H" head pipe but did not run the resonators and a lot of people liked the way it sounded.

With duel piston calipers and that light 289 the car handled really good as I chased down a Fire Bird one night Steve McQ style :nabble_smiley_wink:

Things we did when we were young and stupid :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave ----

We had to install a new exh. and went with the factory duels that had the "H" head pipe but did not run the resonators and a lot of people liked the way it sounded.

With duel piston calipers and that light 289 the car handled really good as I chased down a Fire Bird one night Steve McQ style :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

Those young and dumb nights... fortunately for me I have some documented on film. Always fun to watch and relive the moment.

Makes me just itching to get my 79 out :( I miss all the looks I'd get at stop lights just chopping away idling.

Dave ----

I had a 1966 GT350, 289 Cobra (306 hp) engine I installed .030 over TRW Powerforged pistons after finding a couple of cracked skirts. Since I owned a carburetor shop, after finding a Ford 1966 Trans-Am intake that took Holley rather than Carter 4 barrels, I built a pair of 465 cfm ones, one was a service carb that was 465 cfm, the other an R-1848, also 465 cfm. I installed a manual choke on the service carb and none on the R-1848. I used a pair of the secondary diaphragm covers for a 427 dual Holley system, found throttle linkage and a fuel rail.

At roughly 3500 rpm it came on the cam, and all 8 barrels would open pretty rapidly, redlined at 7500, shifted at 7000. 3.89:1 9" rear with a Detroit Locker, 10X2.5" rear drums with Lakewood Velvetouch metallic linings, 4 piston front calipers. Car had a power steering box with a special Pittman arm and idler for 2.5 turns lock to lock. Car weighed roughly 2800 lbs. Only real issue, at around 137 mph (6750 rpm), the front end would get light due to lift.

_66_GT350_2050_020.jpg.4c60dd70ddeb31e7d97ace6f841f54b4.jpg