Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

So, Ol' Blue picked up the baton and ran with it?

My brothers JD garden tractor is nothing but a headache.

I'm glad he left it to his Ex. She deserves it! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

JD may not be the same, but the reason I bought one is because I watched one plow snow, move aircraft and equipment, open and close big hangar doors and anything else needed and never missed a beat.

Well, one time it was down shortly. They had sodium chloride (I think) in the rear tires for traction. One of the rims corroded through.

That's how I got started, working on Lawn Mowers. First real job was at a bicycle/lawn and garden shop in Norfolk, Reid's Cycle Company. The owner, E. King Reid was something, there had been a mower company in Norfolk called Gemco for General Mower Company. when then went bankrupt in the late 50s, Mr Reid bought all their remaining stock. Every so often I got to go to the House behind the shop and help him pull Gemco parts.

They became the dealer for the Allis-Chalmers B10 garden tractors and used one with a fork lift attachment and a 46 or 48" deck. They would run it into the company's Corvair Rampside to go fetch a broken estate mower (reel mowers with several units towed by the granddaddy of a Zero-Turn) and leave the Allis-Chalmers for the grounds keeper to use.

I first tried to buy one of the Ford's from a friend's business, he was an old customer of mine form Preston. owning a 1967 Shelby GT-500, at the time I think it was $3000 for the tractor and another $15-$1800 for a 42 or 48" deck. The one I have was a fugitive from some old hag named Isabel and the deck was toast, found a deck on eBay and rebuilt it. Engine was a Kohler MV16, I found the difference to the MV18 was the heads (higher compression). I also have a snowblower for it. Here is the Ford, note the DOA JD in the background. This was cutting the girls Field Hockey area at a local high school.

Everytime I have to try to work on a John Deere, I find they are super protective of their dealers, no service information and all PNs are JD numbers with no cross over. John Deere's smaller stuff seems to be made by either MTD or Electrolux, but there are no cross references and in my case the nearest JD dealer is in Pocomoke City MD, an hour North. I can't get any parts for them from our local shop, Shore Saw and Mower, As a result I tell people I won't work on them.

Love that Ford tractor bet you cant kill it compared to the new lawn tractors of today.

Most of the smaller JD's come from the big box stores and hear that are crap, they break you toss them and get new.

Have you tried on line for the JD parts?

I had to replace the in tank fuel pump and found one on line a whole lot cheaper than the local JD dealer wanted.

Also got the solenoid for the deck PTO on line.

I do have to say the dealer did tell me how to go about checking the fuel psi because where JD put the port you could not tell if it was the pump or regulator that was bad.

Dave ----

So, Ol' Blue picked up the baton and ran with it?

My brothers JD garden tractor is nothing but a headache.

I'm glad he left it to his Ex. She deserves it! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Not only did he do it, but the school's JD was running and in an effort to get the field cut quickly. they started on opposite sides, by the time it was finished Old Blue had caught the Deere.

Cutting_grass_at_Bethel_High_School.jpg.cafae457777e2b7c3fbe3f0f04e2bcce.jpg

Gentleman walking out towards it was the father of the girl on the team He asked if they could borrow it because the playing field condition is critical in Field Hockey. It was parked in the school's equipment shed behind the Deere and the key was hidden where only 2 or 3 people knew.

Love that Ford tractor bet you cant kill it compared to the new lawn tractors of today.

Most of the smaller JD's come from the big box stores and hear that are crap, they break you toss them and get new.

Have you tried on line for the JD parts?

I had to replace the in tank fuel pump and found one on line a whole lot cheaper than the local JD dealer wanted.

Also got the solenoid for the deck PTO on line.

I do have to say the dealer did tell me how to go about checking the fuel psi because where JD put the port you could not tell if it was the pump or regulator that was bad.

Dave ----

Ok, items I have learned on yard/garden tractors. The three basic levels are Murray-Ohio, MTD and AYP/Electrolux. Quick ID, Murray stuff just generally looks cheap, MTD, rear wheels are held to the axles with 5/16" fine thread bolts and flat washers onto a 3/4" flattened axle. This fine piece will rust to where the wheels will not come off. The AYP/Electrolux use a 1" axle with washers and snap rings and a plastic dust cap that has grease inside it.

Ok, items I have learned on yard/garden tractors. The three basic levels are Murray-Ohio, MTD and AYP/Electrolux. Quick ID, Murray stuff just generally looks cheap, MTD, rear wheels are held to the axles with 5/16" fine thread bolts and flat washers onto a 3/4" flattened axle. This fine piece will rust to where the wheels will not come off. The AYP/Electrolux use a 1" axle with washers and snap rings and a plastic dust cap that has grease inside it.

Sorry for the hijack Cory. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Buuuuut! :nabble_anim_jump:

2360411311_18ecaae805_o.jpg.a12cdaabac53e36e69c2b0828f240ad3.jpg

2360335061_bb586eb639_o.jpg.c16011ebee7d484b8d8bad82036621cf.jpg

Love it, Jim! That you? I'll bet you took a lot of shots to get that one.

Man, is that thing 15' long?

That was me 20 years ago.

6 1/2" diameter and 13' 9" tall.

That flight was on a K1050.

About the smallest motor impulse I felt safe launching.

But it kept it under our waiver and safe from air traffic into/out of Stewart and Albany.

That was me 20 years ago.

6 1/2" diameter and 13' 9" tall.

That flight was on a K1050.

About the smallest motor impulse I felt safe launching.

But it kept it under our waiver and safe from air traffic into/out of Stewart and Albany.

At the other end of the spectrum, this is 2004.

2295938243_c7d93374c9_o.jpg.00711f90810035c927613e3fc0c991c5.jpg

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat, because this rocket weighs 11.6 grams without the motor.

The motor creates 24.73 POUNDS of thrust for about .7 seconds.

This rocket breaks mach 72 feet into its flight.

Yes! Propellant chemistry IS a fun hobby! :nabble_smiley_super:

Yep, that lunatic was the Range Safety Officer. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

At the other end of the spectrum, this is 2004.

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat, because this rocket weighs 11.6 grams without the motor.

The motor creates 24.73 POUNDS of thrust for about .7 seconds.

This rocket breaks mach 72 feet into its flight.

Yes! Propellant chemistry IS a fun hobby! :nabble_smiley_super:

Yep, that lunatic was the Range Safety Officer. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Man, that is quite a range of sizes. And, quite a grin!

So, when breaking mach with a rocket what kind of noise does it make?

Cory - Want me to move this discussion to the FORD Lounge?