Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

I have several yard and garden tractors. I was told a number of years ago that the difference between a yard tractor and a garden tractor, is, the garden tractor can handle ground engaging implements.

The interesting thing, all of mine are two cylinder engines, except the Sears Custom 10XL for 16 to around 24 hp, the proper garden tractor is a 1983 Craftsman GTV-16, 16 hp Briggs driving through an AYP 3 speed transaxle with a variable speed input system. Custom 10XL has a Tecumseh HH100 (heavy hunk of cast iron).

Supposedly my Ford YT16H is not designed for ground engaging implements, I think because the Eaton 850 hydrostatic transaxle blocks any place to mount a 3 point or sleeve hitch. I have towed cars with it so it has the power to handle it.

All of mine I can get parts and service manuals for, on the parts for the Ford and New Holland it was simply a matter of breaking the code, PNs are xxxDxxxx and if I look for the manufacturer's numbers (Lawn Boy for the Ford and Toro for the New Holland) the D gets replaced by a -. On the ones from Sears, they are all source code 917, which is currently Electrolux Home Products the present owner of American Yard Products.

They had a reputation for extremely rugged equipment, many garden tractor pullers like their 3 speed with a hi-lo transaxle.

I now have an update on the FedEx debacle, the package that was shipped on 5/12 finally showed up yesterday and it was an eye opener, first was the label, it had obviously been cut off the original package and been stuck on a new box, the inside should have been a blue and White Coloplast box with a red stripe next to the description, no, the products were just dumped inside. Outside on one side was a pair of stickers, apparently with notes from my phone calls.

Address_label.thumb.jpg.3181cf987e2924ccb86866ec017b8264.jpg

Back_of_label.thumb.jpg.7df404f09a9d86817f26b07a71b33f9b.jpg

Contents_of_box.thumb.jpg.cbd2c37fb57d797e2bcf4701c7cc7f07.jpg

Labels_on_side_of_box.thumb.jpg.fd1ec47e3cd352bc337efbe0e6642e3c.jpg

Now, of course, it is pretty well academic as the initial need for this stuff is gone and we did get the same stuff in a replacement shipment Sunday afternoon.

I “need” a shed like that Dave!

When we moved I told the wire "no yard equipment will be stored in MY garage" so we bought this shed. I wanted a larger one the wife smaller so this is what we got.

It is a premade unit. You pick everything you want and where it should be placed on the shed the colors, etc.

When done they call you to set up a day to bring and set it up, comes on a flat bed trailer.

They only thing they ask when you buy it is if you have the room to get it where you want it and give you the dimentions.

I had to make the ramp longer to get the tractor in easier, add the stairs for code and painted the floor & ramp. I also had water & power run to it when I upgraded my garage so I have an outlet and lights inside & out.

One of my dogs likes to go under it guess it is cooler than in the shade by the house?

Dave ----

I now have an update on the FedEx debacle, the package that was shipped on 5/12 finally showed up yesterday and it was an eye opener, first was the label, it had obviously been cut off the original package and been stuck on a new box, the inside should have been a blue and White Coloplast box with a red stripe next to the description, no, the products were just dumped inside. Outside on one side was a pair of stickers, apparently with notes from my phone calls.

Now, of course, it is pretty well academic as the initial need for this stuff is gone and we did get the same stuff in a replacement shipment Sunday afternoon.

WTAF Bill?

Did it get caught up in some equipment?

I've had chowdered boxes taped back together, and boxes that have obviously been 'inspected' by the post office.

We need the Marines to make deliveries, because when you absolutely, positively need it done that's who you call!

You want an adventure, and it will be, but you have a very cavalier attitude towards something you know nothing about.

Hey Jim, is there any topic that you aren't an expert in?

Thanks for your advice bud. I'll take it into consideration.

You want an adventure, and it will be, but you have a very cavalier attitude towards something you know nothing about.

Hey Jim, is there any topic that you aren't an expert in?

Thanks for your advice bud. I'll take it into consideration.

I've lived a very busy life among the ultra wealthy and the soft white underbelly.

Smuggling was a part of that.

There's a LOT I don't know anything about.

Electronic engine controls, operating heavy equipment, farming, computer programming and networking, your field of computer design! the military, living a "normal" life, unscarred by childhood abuse and trauma...

Nothing I've said here is a lie.

Nothing is a pissing contest either.

You watch a few glorified YouTube videos and and have a dream.

I think that's great!

Like I said, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to point out it is not all it appears.

****On reflection, I think I need to add this****

I experience the world through the 'special' lens of my autisim.

I'm strident. I'm pedantic. I'm acutely (often painfully!) aware of of the world around me.

I have a different file system between my ears.

I puzzle things together and am not even cognizant of societal norms.

Intense interests like propellant chemistry, color and the electromagnetic spectrum, material properties... don't make me a well rounded person.

While what I've experienced does not define me, I can only live in the present.

I'm a font of seemingly useless fact, and my brain makes connections that tie things together that aren't immediately apparent to more 'neurotypical' humans.

That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else.

If you, Ray, think I'm trying to upstage the latest twist in your future plans you have my sincere apology.

I've lived a very busy life among the ultra wealthy and the soft white underbelly.

Smuggling was a part of that.

There's a LOT I don't know anything about.

Electronic engine controls, operating heavy equipment, farming, computer programming and networking, your field of computer design! the military, living a "normal" life, unscarred by childhood abuse and trauma...

Nothing I've said here is a lie.

Nothing is a pissing contest either.

You watch a few glorified YouTube videos and and have a dream.

I think that's great!

Like I said, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to point out it is not all it appears.

****On reflection, I think I need to add this****

I experience the world through the 'special' lens of my autisim.

I'm strident. I'm pedantic. I'm acutely (often painfully!) aware of of the world around me.

I have a different file system between my ears.

I puzzle things together and am not even cognizant of societal norms.

Intense interests like propellant chemistry, color and the electromagnetic spectrum, material properties... don't make me a well rounded person.

While what I've experienced does not define me, I can only live in the present.

I'm a font of seemingly useless fact, and my brain makes connections that tie things together that aren't immediately apparent to more 'neurotypical' humans.

That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else.

If you, Ray, think I'm trying to upstage the latest twist in your future plans you have my sincere apology.

Ok

I have several yard and garden tractors. I was told a number of years ago that the difference between a yard tractor and a garden tractor, is, the garden tractor can handle ground engaging implements.

The interesting thing, all of mine are two cylinder engines, except the Sears Custom 10XL for 16 to around 24 hp, the proper garden tractor is a 1983 Craftsman GTV-16, 16 hp Briggs driving through an AYP 3 speed transaxle with a variable speed input system. Custom 10XL has a Tecumseh HH100 (heavy hunk of cast iron).

Supposedly my Ford YT16H is not designed for ground engaging implements, I think because the Eaton 850 hydrostatic transaxle blocks any place to mount a 3 point or sleeve hitch. I have towed cars with it so it has the power to handle it.

All of mine I can get parts and service manuals for, on the parts for the Ford and New Holland it was simply a matter of breaking the code, PNs are xxxDxxxx and if I look for the manufacturer's numbers (Lawn Boy for the Ford and Toro for the New Holland) the D gets replaced by a -. On the ones from Sears, they are all source code 917, which is currently Electrolux Home Products the present owner of American Yard Products.

They had a reputation for extremely rugged equipment, many garden tractor pullers like their 3 speed with a hi-lo transaxle.

I think you are right on the lawn & garden tractor part as they say mine is a garden tractor and does take implements.

I could have picked up a rear tiller but because my tractor does not have a rear PTO, only a deck PTO, and the PTO could be $$ so I passed on it, kick myself now LOL.

My tractor comes in 3 different model numbers: 2 are 22 hp water cooled 2cyl Kawasaki motors.

The 425 has a carb, 445 like mine is F.I. and the 455 is a 3cly water cooled diesel.

When I was a kid dad picked up a Craftsman tractor, that was set on fire and think why he got it, that had a geared transaxle with the high/low gearing.

We did not need it for the small yard we had but was fun to drive around the yard.

Dave ----

I think you are right on the lawn & garden tractor part as they say mine is a garden tractor and does take implements.

I could have picked up a rear tiller but because my tractor does not have a rear PTO, only a deck PTO, and the PTO could be $$ so I passed on it, kick myself now LOL.

My tractor comes in 3 different model numbers: 2 are 22 hp water cooled 2cyl Kawasaki motors.

The 425 has a carb, 445 like mine is F.I. and the 455 is a 3cly water cooled diesel.

When I was a kid dad picked up a Craftsman tractor, that was set on fire and think why he got it, that had a geared transaxle with the high/low gearing.

We did not need it for the small yard we had but was fun to drive around the yard.

Dave ----

Keeping the kids entertained and getting them into mechanics was well worth the price (even if he bought it new!)

Keeping the kids entertained and getting them into mechanics was well worth the price (even if he bought it new!)

That's how I got started, working on Lawn Mowers. First real job was at a bicycle/lawn and garden shop in Norfolk, Reid's Cycle Company. The owner, E. King Reid was something, there had been a mower company in Norfolk called Gemco for General Mower Company. when then went bankrupt in the late 50s, Mr Reid bought all their remaining stock. Every so often I got to go to the House behind the shop and help him pull Gemco parts.

They became the dealer for the Allis-Chalmers B10 garden tractors and used one with a fork lift attachment and a 46 or 48" deck. They would run it into the company's Corvair Rampside to go fetch a broken estate mower (reel mowers with several units towed by the granddaddy of a Zero-Turn) and leave the Allis-Chalmers for the grounds keeper to use.

I first tried to buy one of the Ford's from a friend's business, he was an old customer of mine form Preston. owning a 1967 Shelby GT-500, at the time I think it was $3000 for the tractor and another $15-$1800 for a 42 or 48" deck. The one I have was a fugitive from some old hag named Isabel and the deck was toast, found a deck on eBay and rebuilt it. Engine was a Kohler MV16, I found the difference to the MV18 was the heads (higher compression). I also have a snowblower for it. Here is the Ford, note the DOA JD in the background. This was cutting the girls Field Hockey area at a local high school.

Ford_in_front_broken_John_Deere_in_back.jpg.25b6519773e9470e19e5cb8640d81458.jpg

Everytime I have to try to work on a John Deere, I find they are super protective of their dealers, no service information and all PNs are JD numbers with no cross over. John Deere's smaller stuff seems to be made by either MTD or Electrolux, but there are no cross references and in my case the nearest JD dealer is in Pocomoke City MD, an hour North. I can't get any parts for them from our local shop, Shore Saw and Mower, As a result I tell people I won't work on them.

That's how I got started, working on Lawn Mowers. First real job was at a bicycle/lawn and garden shop in Norfolk, Reid's Cycle Company. The owner, E. King Reid was something, there had been a mower company in Norfolk called Gemco for General Mower Company. when then went bankrupt in the late 50s, Mr Reid bought all their remaining stock. Every so often I got to go to the House behind the shop and help him pull Gemco parts.

They became the dealer for the Allis-Chalmers B10 garden tractors and used one with a fork lift attachment and a 46 or 48" deck. They would run it into the company's Corvair Rampside to go fetch a broken estate mower (reel mowers with several units towed by the granddaddy of a Zero-Turn) and leave the Allis-Chalmers for the grounds keeper to use.

I first tried to buy one of the Ford's from a friend's business, he was an old customer of mine form Preston. owning a 1967 Shelby GT-500, at the time I think it was $3000 for the tractor and another $15-$1800 for a 42 or 48" deck. The one I have was a fugitive from some old hag named Isabel and the deck was toast, found a deck on eBay and rebuilt it. Engine was a Kohler MV16, I found the difference to the MV18 was the heads (higher compression). I also have a snowblower for it. Here is the Ford, note the DOA JD in the background. This was cutting the girls Field Hockey area at a local high school.

Everytime I have to try to work on a John Deere, I find they are super protective of their dealers, no service information and all PNs are JD numbers with no cross over. John Deere's smaller stuff seems to be made by either MTD or Electrolux, but there are no cross references and in my case the nearest JD dealer is in Pocomoke City MD, an hour North. I can't get any parts for them from our local shop, Shore Saw and Mower, As a result I tell people I won't work on them.

So, Ol' Blue picked up the baton and ran with it?

My brothers JD garden tractor is nothing but a headache.

I'm glad he left it to his Ex. She deserves it! :nabble_smiley_hurt: