Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Might be easier said than done.

Of course it will be easier said than done. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Ive been on a Cat in Hawaii for a few hours. Thats the extent of my sailing experience.

Even Sir Robin Knox Johnston had to start somewhere.

The plan is to purchase a Schionning Cat kit, and build it while my boys are growing up. I'd like to make a big fuss and sail it out from either Louisville KY on the Ohio River, or from Tulsa's Port of Catoosa. It just depends on where we end up living.

Jim, if you take a few minutes and look up Sailing Zatara, Gone with the Wynns, and the Clipper Race. That will get you an idea of what I am thinking.

My plan is to purchase a leg of the Clipper race aboard one of the racing vessels. I will learn everything I need to know about sailing, trial by fire. Then I will continue eventually with my own vessel, at a much more leisurly pace.

If you arent familiar with the Clipper race, Sir Robin Knox Johnston, the most legendary sailor of the 20th century, invented the race to get complete novice sailors out on the open ocean, racing, competing, and learning. It is designed specifically for people like me.

New addition! My right knee was protesting the push mower!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n61656/22D8B10E-CAF6-498F-99B5-E8DF3739260F.jpeg

Nice new & shinny :nabble_smiley_good:

What made you get a tractor over a zero turn?

Everyone tells me I can get done faster with a zero turn but I don't have that many things go around and you cant use a zero turn for plowing 20'x30' gardens.

A radio headset and you can really enjoy cutting the grass :nabble_smiley_wink:

I have an older larger brother I picked up used and after sitting on it for 3+ hours cutting the grass I sometimes think its too small.

44520left20side20001.jpg.9929a70465ec6f6b1637d95364c76114.jpg

With power steering, adjustable wheel & spring ride seat, cruise control, cup holder and hydro drive / deck lift & 3 point hitch its a beast.

I also have plows for the garden and 4way for up front but get no snow here to use it.

Tractor20Trailer002.jpg.de04ac1308df789192e797ca3bda82cc.jpg

Dave ----

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n61656/22D8B10E-CAF6-498F-99B5-E8DF3739260F.jpeg

Everyone tells me I can get done faster with a zero turn but I don't have that many things go around and you cant use a zero turn for plowing 20'x30' gardens.

I have an older larger brother I picked up used and after sitting on it for 3+ hours cutting the grass I sometimes think its too small.

With power steering, adjustable wheel & spring ride seat, cruise control, cup holder and hydro drive / deck lift & 3 point hitch its a beast.

I also have plows for the garden and 4way for up front but get no snow here to use it.

Dave ----

Dane - I missed your new purchase. Cool! That's lots better than a push mower! :nabble_anim_claps:

Dave - in some ways I miss my lawn tractor. I could move the trailers around quite nicely with it. But the ZTR, which gets the lawn done in half the time, just won't do it w/o popping wheelies. Scary!

But I'm with you on the headset. Scott got me into the 3M Worktunes with Bluetooth. Man, those things WORK! They drop the noise dramatically and allow me to listen to tunes.

However, there's a minor problem - I can't hear the mower well enough to tell when I'm running out of gas. I was mowing along the other day and felt something. What was that? Turns out it was the engine bogging from lack of fuel, and while I was trying to figure it out it almost stranded me. If I'd not had the headset on I might have detected the change in engine noise earlier.

But, 99% of the time the headset is THE way to go.

Might be easier said than done.

Of course it will be easier said than done. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Ive been on a Cat in Hawaii for a few hours. Thats the extent of my sailing experience.

Even Sir Robin Knox Johnston had to start somewhere.

The plan is to purchase a Schionning Cat kit, and build it while my boys are growing up. I'd like to make a big fuss and sail it out from either Louisville KY on the Ohio River, or from Tulsa's Port of Catoosa. It just depends on where we end up living.

Jim, if you take a few minutes and look up Sailing Zatara, Gone with the Wynns, and the Clipper Race. That will get you an idea of what I am thinking.

My plan is to purchase a leg of the Clipper race aboard one of the racing vessels. I will learn everything I need to know about sailing, trial by fire. Then I will continue eventually with my own vessel, at a much more leisurly pace.

If you arent familiar with the Clipper race, Sir Robin Knox Johnston, the most legendary sailor of the 20th century, invented the race to get complete novice sailors out on the open ocean, racing, competing, and learning. It is designed specifically for people like me.

I really only know the Whitbread race.

I've sailed across the North Atlantic twice, into the Med, Sardinia and Monaco.

The only sailing I've done in the Pacific is San Diego down to the Sea of Cortez and back.

It was during Humpback calving season, and fantastic to see those majestic giants.

I know you're resourceful Ray, and have no doubt you can learn.

I was speaking in the context of your first mention of it.

SHTF, societal collapse, every man for himself.

THEN, it's going to be an issue...

You'll need to be out there when it happens. Your family will need to know how to handle a cat in rough seas. (turtle, or even pitchpole in a boat without a ballast keel and you're done) You'll need to be provisioned for however long your passage, you'll likely need some advanced medical training (like trauma nurse training) plus a good amount of prescription drugs, you'll probably want to learn celestial navigation,

weapons on board for when (not if) you run into pirates, and on and on and on.

Dane - I missed your new purchase. Cool! That's lots better than a push mower! :nabble_anim_claps:

Dave - in some ways I miss my lawn tractor. I could move the trailers around quite nicely with it. But the ZTR, which gets the lawn done in half the time, just won't do it w/o popping wheelies. Scary!

But I'm with you on the headset. Scott got me into the 3M Worktunes with Bluetooth. Man, those things WORK! They drop the noise dramatically and allow me to listen to tunes.

However, there's a minor problem - I can't hear the mower well enough to tell when I'm running out of gas. I was mowing along the other day and felt something. What was that? Turns out it was the engine bogging from lack of fuel, and while I was trying to figure it out it almost stranded me. If I'd not had the headset on I might have detected the change in engine noise earlier.

What no gas gauge on that puppy :nabble_smiley_evil:

Because mine is also water cooled I have temp gauge but only a ALT light for charging and 1 for PTO.

Because mine is also what they call F.I., high psi carb, when you first turn the key on the prim light comes on and when off you can start, just like a diesel and they make my size in a diesel and the dash has the glow plug light but not used.

Dave ----

What no gas gauge on that puppy :nabble_smiley_evil:

Because mine is also water cooled I have temp gauge but only a ALT light for charging and 1 for PTO.

Because mine is also what they call F.I., high psi carb, when you first turn the key on the prim light comes on and when off you can start, just like a diesel and they make my size in a diesel and the dash has the glow plug light but not used.

Dave ----

I have a gas gauge, but it is at my left elbow and not readable when mowing.

I looked at basically the same mower as yours about 10 years ago. Would have been nice with power steering, power lift, locking rear diff, etc. But with a 60" deck it wouldn't go through my gate. Sure would have been nice on the trailers though.

I agree, sailing would be an issue during SHTF, especially in certain parts of the world.

I would imagine if a total western societal collapse happens, being able to sail would present a certain advantage. Youd be employed carrying goods from island to island. Good radar, a second or third set of eyes, and a few sniper rifles would keep pirates away. Most pirates look for easy kills. If you start shooting they usually go away, or they die.

Dave ----

“What made you get a tractor over a zero turn?” Mainly cost. And I really can’t justify one. My yard is pretty easy. I can’t get this through the gate or a ZTR where I would need it. Push mower that, but it’s small enough.

I used a ZTR where I used to work. Mechanics did the yard work after most were laid off.

This thing is a Cadillac compared to the riding mower I used to have. And it’s the entry level mower!

I agree, sailing would be an issue during SHTF, especially in certain parts of the world.

I would imagine if a total western societal collapse happens, being able to sail would present a certain advantage. Youd be employed carrying goods from island to island. Good radar, a second or third set of eyes, and a few sniper rifles would keep pirates away. Most pirates look for easy kills. If you start shooting they usually go away, or they die.

That hasn't been what I know of pirates.

Back in the '80's Caribbean they would kill all aboard to use the boat for smuggling.

Later on they were taking hostages for ransom. They still seemed to shoot as many holes in the boat, but tried to keep crew alive.

Now with satellites, over the horizon radar, GPS coordinates and a larger Coast Guard/Navy anti-smuggling presence you don't see too much there.

All bets off if that collapses.

But if your talking Micronesia, Indian Ocean, or anywhere near eastern Africa you're going to be outgunned and out run by people who have been doing this for generations going back to the Dutch East India company.

But if your talking Micronesia, Indian Ocean, or anywhere near eastern Africa you're going to be outgunned and out run by people who have been doing this for generations going back to the Dutch East India company.

It boils down to risk mitigation. Yes its dangerous. That is THE reason it appeals to me. Why sit at home on a comfy couch when I could possibly be out running from pirates, swimming with sharks, catching fish, and meeting all kinds of people, and feeling alive? Life isnt about getting to the finish line with the fewest scars. Like the media wants you to believe...."gotta be safe little sheeple and goyim."

I visited Africa, and may have mentioned this before, and was held at gunpoint and robbed. It really changed me. Gave me a different look on life.

I made decisions in my early 20's to get married and have kids young, so when I am 45 years old I will be free to chase adventure. My youngest graduates high school in 10 years. I'll be in the best shape of my life, will have no mortgage, and will have a sailing vessel ready for whatever life throws at me.

I have a lot of different ideas all the time, but the main thing never changes, I am focused on being debt free, and doing something notable with my life. Sailing for a few years is one of those goals. Building a Factory Five Daytona is another. And starting my own company producing a product is another.

It might be okay for some, but sitting in a safe house for the rest of my life eating through a retirement fund is a dreadful thought.