Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

The only shaft drive I have riden is my 83 Honda Silver Wing Interstate G650I that I bought 2 summers ago. A full dress bike radio and all.

A 1 year only as HD had the Gov. raise the import tax on anything over 700 cc because no one was buying HD bikes back them.

It is a V twin, but side to side not front back like HD.

To me it feels a little top heavy moving it around like in / out of the garage other wise it rides (air ride adjustable) and handles good out on the road. I have not pushed it as I dont see a need to.

I have not put but maybe 200 miles on it because it is so hot in the summer here and no time right now but I hope come June when I hang up my CDL (retire) I can get out more.

Dave ----

Sounds like fun Dave! :nabble_smiley_good:

I hope you get to enjoy it when you have more time to.

Silverwings were very popular with dispatch (delivery) riders because of their incredible reliability, low maintenance and frugal fuel consumption as I recall.

Silverwings were very popular with dispatch (delivery) riders because of their incredible reliability, low maintenance and frugal fuel consumption as I recall.

The little bit of seat time I have on it it was fun.

That's what I have seen about dispatch use posted on a fourm I am on for the bike.

Shortly after I got it I cleaned it up as it had been sitting, I used degreaser and water.

Well when done I took it for a little ride and could not get over 40 MPH and was WT???

Went on the forum and when waiting for a reply pulled the plugs.

Bike came with 2 sets (4 plugs) used and why I pulled them.

Because the plugs are set down in the heads one filled up with water and was not firing.

Thats when they came back and said there are drain holes that plug up.

Sure enough that one was plugged, cleaned both and should not have that happen again LOL

Dave ----

The little bit of seat time I have on it it was fun.

That's what I have seen about dispatch use posted on a fourm I am on for the bike.

Shortly after I got it I cleaned it up as it had been sitting, I used degreaser and water.

Well when done I took it for a little ride and could not get over 40 MPH and was WT???

Went on the forum and when waiting for a reply pulled the plugs.

Bike came with 2 sets (4 plugs) used and why I pulled them.

Because the plugs are set down in the heads one filled up with water and was not firing.

Thats when they came back and said there are drain holes that plug up.

Sure enough that one was plugged, cleaned both and should not have that happen again LOL

Dave ----

We always thought of them as a water cooled Moto Guzzi V65 Monza.

Nimble and not threatening.

The drain hole thing sounds like how our rear spring shackle hangers rot out.

• 5 weeks later...

20231224_160653.jpg.0225a77a32b83c51b37ef461de164ce2.jpg

Could use some help from the collective knowledge here.

My brother in law has this parlor stove in his mancave. We both have found information on 'silver oak' stoves but we can't find anything on this 'golden oak' stove.

It came to him from a barn and was really disgusting. With some good effort, it is now as you see it and functioning very well.

We're looking for any information we can find.

Appreciate your help a whole lot and should we ever meet, I'll buy you a coffee ️ for your efforts.

My brother in law has this parlor stove in his mancave. We both have found information on 'silver oak' stoves but we can't find anything on this 'golden oak' stove.

It came to him from a barn and was really disgusting. With some good effort, it is now as you see it and functioning very well.

Appreciate your help a whole lot and should we ever meet, I'll buy you a coffee ️ for your efforts.

I don't know anything about them, but we recently had a "Round Oak" stove refurbished, so this caught my eye. Seems like "(fill in the blank) Oak" was a pretty popular formula for naming wood stoves back in the day, I also saw Parlor Oak, Forest Oak, Bonny Oak and Stewart Oak!

Anyway, a quick Google search showed that Golden Oak stoves were made by the Grander Stove Company, and turned up these links, in case they help you.

https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33872

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1903-grander-stove-co-catalogue-1622084739

https://www.txantiquemall.com/antique-cast-iron-stove-values-top-old-brands-guide/

Cool! Or, maybe "hot"? Anyway, nice looking stove. Must have taken a lot of work to get it that nice.

And those links will surely help, Bob. Good job! :nabble_anim_claps:

Interesting!

I am curious... How wide is it? In such a vertical stove, have enough room or have to put the logs vertically?

🧐

Interesting!

I am curious... How wide is it? In such a vertical stove, have enough room or have to put the logs vertically?

🧐

That's pretty much how we feed it.

There's a foundry near me and I'm going to take the bottom grate from the stove down to them and see what it'll take to get one with closer spacing so we can burn coal.

I'm dead nuts in the middle of the coal region in PA and we get it very VERY cheap or sometimes free.

Anthracite has such a nice hang time in comparison to wood.

Thanks for the links. That's pretty much the only thing my B.I.L. found too.

We just can't find a date or even a matching stove online to vaguely date this one.

I don't know anything about them, but we recently had a "Round Oak" stove refurbished, so this caught my eye. Seems like "(fill in the blank) Oak" was a pretty popular formula for naming wood stoves back in the day, I also saw Parlor Oak, Forest Oak, Bonny Oak and Stewart Oak!

Anyway, a quick Google search showed that Golden Oak stoves were made by the Grander Stove Company, and turned up these links, in case they help you.

https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33872

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1903-grander-stove-co-catalogue-1622084739

https://www.txantiquemall.com/antique-cast-iron-stove-values-top-old-brands-guide/

That last link was something I hadn't found.

I'm really not a well versed antique guy despite my age and old soul, so that was almost like brain comfort food.

Thank you.

Not a Ford story, but a high stress mechanic one.

Did you see Oppenheimer movie?

You know, the moment when they finally "push the button", hopping that their calculations are ok...

I had such moment tonight.

My old Kubota B21 had an injection pump problem: Was leaking fuel by the top.

I opened the leaking pump piston and saw that o'rings were dried and cracked.

Tried to replace by supposedly right size ones, but the result was catastrophic: The engine oil dipstick popped out and oil splashed all around.

:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I ordered a replacement pump (700$ aftermarket cause original Kubota is 1800$ CAD).

The mechanics at the dealer told me it's impossible that the oil splashes out because of a leaking injector pump, sure it is something else broken in the engine.

So, pump replaced, I am sitting in the tractor, ready to turn the key, feeling as Oppenheimer: It works, or it's the end...

The engine started and everything is ok. HURRAYYYY!!!

:nabble_anim_jump:

I changed filter and oil. Before pouring the new 3L oil, I flushed 6.5L of oil/diesel fuel mix!!

:nabble_smiley_oh:

So, I have some news for Kubota mechanics:

Yes, an injection pump can leak enough by the bottom to spray fuel an pressure in the oil pan.

I'm pretty sure there's couple of you who had such "Oppenheimer high stress moments" in their Ford mechanic life.

:nabble_smiley_wink: