Bullnose Forums

Eddy Myrtle

Sac79

Well my plan is to run Eddy in the winter(no AC necessary) and the Toyota in the summer(which will hopefully have it's AC fixed at some point this year), but as I said, 'cold' is a relative term here in Alabama.

I'll run the fuel vapors through the PCV system to begin with then, but I'm still curious as to how your test/trial will play out, so I'm looking forward to your findings.

I hope to have AC on my truck before it get to hot here but if not my Durango is the AC back up.

I want to run 2 full fill ups, remember I have 2 tanks to run thru, before I say if the vapor thru the PCV hurt the MPG.

Thing is I only drive the truck if I work and all last week I did not work.

This week I don't know what is going to happen. I worked today but they are talking rain for the rest of the week so maybe no work?

Dave ----

Well my plan is to run Eddy in the winter(no AC necessary) and the Toyota in the summer(which will hopefully have it's AC fixed at some point this year), but as I said, 'cold' is a relative term here in Alabama.

I'll run the fuel vapors through the PCV system to begin with then, but I'm still curious as to how your test/trial will play out, so I'm looking forward to your findings.

I hope to have AC on my truck before it get to hot here but if not my Durango is the AC back up.

I want to run 2 full fill ups, remember I have 2 tanks to run thru, before I say if the vapor thru the PCV hurt the MPG.

Thing is I only drive the truck if I work and all last week I did not work.

This week I don't know what is going to happen. I worked today but they are talking rain for the rest of the week so maybe no work?

Dave ----

Finally finished up the engine bay wiring... Also, new radiator got installed.

IMG_3604.jpg.04048e259eeff9103b211165fdea0de8.jpg

I paid extra for the 'Ford' logo on the marker lamps...

IMG_3603.jpg.de09393d07491dbf4fd6fa21245302a1.jpg

I have a washer/coolant reservoir from a later truck, but it's nasty(and it's proving difficult to clean), so I'm sticking with mine for now.

IMG_3605.jpg.13464f3613b8ffc9b7418e3e649a904c.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg.30165a4771978fc100914f754b048f1e.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg.4c488d99194e6883cf31be2ebcfd804a.jpg

Vapor system... Complete(modified) and hopefully functioning.

IMG_3613.jpg.94334bdfc2cef7a845065fbd5f33206c.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg.1ed719b666ab85c0d4fc102fa1aa416d.jpg

Annoyingly the battery cable I bought on RA is too short, about 42" compared to 48", so the frame ground does not reach the frame. I considered buying a new cable, but decided on adding a 'ground connection' for now. I can't think of much or anything being grounded to the frame anyway?

IMG_3616.jpg.48b52c806e5e26b4a3c5ca3ab80b6efd.jpg

I added the heavy duty headlight harness as another luxury. I don't foresee doing a lot of nighttime driving, but I'd rather do it now while I'm doing the wiring anyway.

IMG_3621.jpg.27b63aaf9916537b25e887adac5e53dd.jpg

And finally, the passenger's side fender is still a little 'busy' for my taste, but not quite a rat's nest. I left the funny orientation of the solenoid and only turned the regulator to a similar angle.

IMG_3619.jpg.085c01eeeba7c54d93aca9b4c3ae02e9.jpg

I'm stuck between starting the truck up or adding the bed first. I think just like delaying doing the wiring I'm now looking for reasons to delay starting the engine... Out of fear that it won't I guess.:nabble_smiley_scared:

I have a washer/coolant reservoir from a later truck, but it's nasty(and it's proving difficult to clean), so I'm sticking with mine for now.

Annoyingly the battery cable I bought on RA is too short, about 42" compared to 48", so the frame ground does not reach the frame. I considered buying a new cable, but decided on adding a 'ground connection' for now. I can't think of much or anything being grounded to the frame anyway?

I added the heavy duty headlight harness as another luxury. I don't foresee doing a lot of nighttime driving, but I'd rather do it now while I'm doing the wiring anyway.

And finally, the passenger's side fender is still a little 'busy' for my taste, but not quite a rat's nest. I left the funny orientation of the solenoid and only turned the regulator to a similar angle.

I'm stuck between starting the truck up or adding the bed first. I think just like delaying doing the wiring I'm now looking for reasons to delay starting the engine... Out of fear that it won't I guess.:nabble_smiley_scared:

Looks great, Rob! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the ground, since your ground wire also runs to the starter and your tail lights should be grounded back to the cab, there isn't anything else I can think of that grounds to the frame. Just make sure you have the engine/cab ground in place.

Looks great, Rob! :nabble_smiley_good:

Have faith. 🙏

It is soooo satisfying when that engine catches after a long rest!

On the ground, since your ground wire also runs to the starter and your tail lights should be grounded back to the cab, there isn't anything else I can think of that grounds to the frame. Just make sure you have the engine/cab ground in place.

Does look good.

On the ground I wanted to go with what the factory had and had to make my own cable.

20171015_114608.jpg.82c33a4ffd6ca028ca42e2de315765d7.jpg

Right cable is the ground the left is the starter cable and is an insulated holder.

20171015_123448.jpg.52c135da95ab5bbf5d0c08ad3999027f.jpg

Your right finder where will the jack go?

On the head lights the HD part is relays right? If not I would do them difference is night & day!

On starting the motor: Many many years ago when I had a shop with my dad a lot of our cars did not run unless you jumped them and that was a PITA even more so in winter.

When I left my dad & the shop I said to my self what ever I had would run and not with a jump start.

So on my project when the motor went back in I got it running as soon as I could.

This way I could move it if needed but it made me feel like I got something big done on the truck.

I also had to move the truck when working on the bed and fitting it on and off.

Dave ----

Thanks Gary. Yes, tail lights will be grounded to the dash frame. I added a ground wire to the passenger's side fender(from the negative battery cable). I've got the engine/cab ground installed. I added a ground for the alternator to the fender as well. And I will add grounds between the fenders and cab, smaller than BB's though.

Looks great, Rob! :nabble_smiley_good:

Have faith. 🙏

It is soooo satisfying when that engine catches after a long rest!

Thanks Jim, I am quite excited about the prospect of hearing the engine burst into life...:nabble_smiley_beam:

Does look good.

On the ground I wanted to go with what the factory had and had to make my own cable.

Right cable is the ground the left is the starter cable and is an insulated holder.

Your right finder where will the jack go?

On the head lights the HD part is relays right? If not I would do them difference is night & day!

On starting the motor: Many many years ago when I had a shop with my dad a lot of our cars did not run unless you jumped them and that was a PITA even more so in winter.

When I left my dad & the shop I said to my self what ever I had would run and not with a jump start.

So on my project when the motor went back in I got it running as soon as I could.

This way I could move it if needed but it made me feel like I got something big done on the truck.

I also had to move the truck when working on the bed and fitting it on and off.

Dave ----

So did you make one of the two in your first picture Dave? The top one looks like what I bought. It has the tab like the original, total length just too short. You can buy longer ones, but they don't have the tab. I'm happy with how it's set up now, but it would be easy to make a better replacement if needed.

Have you experienced any issues with the wires being so close to the Y-pipe? My starter wire is very close(about an inch at the closest), but it does have the sleeve which should hopefully melt or at least deform before other issues pop up.

And yes, I might start the truck before finishing the bed. It still has to be cleaned and painted underneath. Those things would be easier and less messy outside and right now the bed is stuck behind the truck...

So did you make one of the two in your first picture Dave? The top one looks like what I bought. It has the tab like the original, total length just too short. You can buy longer ones, but they don't have the tab. I'm happy with how it's set up now, but it would be easy to make a better replacement if needed.

Have you experienced any issues with the wires being so close to the Y-pipe? My starter wire is very close(about an inch at the closest), but it does have the sleeve which should hopefully melt or at least deform before other issues pop up.

And yes, I might start the truck before finishing the bed. It still has to be cleaned and painted underneath. Those things would be easier and less messy outside and right now the bed is stuck behind the truck...

The top cable is the one I made.

It was to long and did not have the tab.

I had to cut it shorter and added the end.

I took the tab off the old cable, removed some of the insulation on the new cable and installed the tab.

The 2nd picture is how I found the cables secured to the frame on my parts truck and believe that was factory so I put it back that way on my truck.

I don't think the cables are that close to the exh pipe that I worry.

Dave ----

The top cable is the one I made.

It was to long and did not have the tab.

I had to cut it shorter and added the end.

I took the tab off the old cable, removed some of the insulation on the new cable and installed the tab.

The 2nd picture is how I found the cables secured to the frame on my parts truck and believe that was factory so I put it back that way on my truck.

I don't think the cables are that close to the exh pipe that I worry.

Dave ----

Got it!:nabble_smiley_good:

And yes, the headlight harness came with the relays, you can see them in the one picture at the front corner of the passenger fender. I got the custom headlights from LMC as well.