Bullnose Forums

Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only]

I'm not sure what I have in the way of a NOS pad, but will look. However, I am confident that some of us are going to want an XLS style pad, which is a brushed aluminum look. But, we also need the same finish on the radio and instrument bezels. Plus, pushing my luck, at least I would like to have the same finish on the trim piece that goes on the door panels.

So, if you are able to do those things you will be our HERO! :nabble_anim_jump:

Perry, here is the XLS style which Gary mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-Ford-Truck-Simulated-Leather-Steering-Wheel/323786300473?hash=item4b632adc39:g:ZGQAAOSwbS1cvm8u

Hi, I'm on the road with a phone so will be brief for now. Thanks for nice comments! I won the auction for the Rosewood center dash piece so will get on confirming a good match material for that as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for links also, once a cut pattern is established, already for the steering wheel parts, finding the material is all that's left. So many choices on the market for just about any surface, pattern. Will find good ones.

Perry

I'm not sure what I have in the way of a NOS pad, but will look. However, I am confident that some of us are going to want an XLS style pad, which is a brushed aluminum look. But, we also need the same finish on the radio and instrument bezels. Plus, pushing my luck, at least I would like to have the same finish on the trim piece that goes on the door panels.

So, if you are able to do those things you will be our HERO! :nabble_anim_jump:

Perry, here is the XLS style which Gary mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-Ford-Truck-Simulated-Leather-Steering-Wheel/323786300473?hash=item4b632adc39:g:ZGQAAOSwbS1cvm8u

I can't wait to watch the evolution of the XLS finish!

I've practiced quite a bit and just can't replicate the look of that brushed aluminum to match the original pieces. Closest is the technique I saw on this site to brush with a 3M pad before it dried, but I can't master it.

Those wood grain samples look amazing. Great work.

Hi, I'm on the road with a phone so will be brief for now. Thanks for nice comments! I won the auction for the Rosewood center dash piece so will get on confirming a good match material for that as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for links also, once a cut pattern is established, already for the steering wheel parts, finding the material is all that's left. So many choices on the market for just about any surface, pattern. Will find good ones.

Perry

I think you are saying once you have a pattern figured out to fit one bezel it is jut the choice of material is all that is left for doing the XLS "brushed aluminum". That is wonderful!

Just FYI, there were only 4 "colors" or "finishes" for the Bullnose bezels, as shown on the Interior/Instrument & Radio Bezels page:

• Weave: Doubt you'll be able to do this one as there is a significant texture to it. And it changed from black to gray to medium gray during the 7-year era.

• Rosewood: Used from 1980 through '84 this was the high end trim.

• Burlwood: Used for 1985 & 6, this was the high end trim. And most of it has turned purpleish by now and is ugly.

• Brushed Aluminum: Used in '82 and '83 for the XLS trimmed vehicles. Very rare, and many of us want to replicate it.

Perry

Perry,

It's refreshing to have interaction with a vendor like this on a forum.

Usually it's spam, or they (you) are relagated to some dark corner.

It's exciting to think that you can help ALL of us, and are working to expand your product line as well as to see what a great finish you get. 👍

Wow! That's beautiful work! And welcome, although I'll also welcome you elsewhere.

This is a link to one of the door panels Gary referenced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-BRONCO-DOOR-PANEL-DELUXE-SPEAKER-TRIM-WOODGRAIN-F150-F250-F350-80-86/163640898705?fits=Year%3A1984%7CModel%3ABronco%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item2619c1f491:g:3jwAAOSwfxtcrBiD

I think you are saying once you have a pattern figured out to fit one bezel it is jut the choice of material is all that is left for doing the XLS "brushed aluminum". That is wonderful!

Just FYI, there were only 4 "colors" or "finishes" for the Bullnose bezels, as shown on the Interior/Instrument & Radio Bezels page:

• Weave: Doubt you'll be able to do this one as there is a significant texture to it. And it changed from black to gray to medium gray during the 7-year era.

• Burlwood: Used for 1985 & 6, this was the high end trim. And most of it has turned purpleish by now and is ugly.

• Brushed Aluminum: Used in '82 and '83 for the XLS trimmed vehicles. Very rare, and many of us want to replicate it.

Parry let me first say thanks for taking this on.

Gary that is what I was thinking once he has the "finishes" and the pattern for the bezels we would pick the finish that we want. It would not need to be just what Ford offered either.

That would be great as I have the bezels that the wood is peeling but the wheel is in good shape but if I / we had to buy it as a set I am sure that would be good.

Thanks

Dave ----

Parry let me first say thanks for taking this on.

Gary that is what I was thinking once he has the "finishes" and the pattern for the bezels we would pick the finish that we want. It would not need to be just what Ford offered either.

That would be great as I have the bezels that the wood is peeling but the wheel is in good shape but if I / we had to buy it as a set I am sure that would be good.

Thanks

Dave ----

Ooooooooo

Can we get some stick on "carbon fiber" like they sell at that high class parts store, Auto Zone?

:nabble_love-23x23_orig:

:nabble_thumbs-down-23_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Ooooooooo

Can we get some stick on "carbon fiber" like they sell at that high class parts store, Auto Zone?

:nabble_love-23x23_orig:

:nabble_thumbs-down-23_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

If the masses like it and it sells why not :nabble_smiley_good:

See I was thinking snake skin :nabble_smiley_grin:

Now don't be a hater but I did a over lay in real carbon fiber but in silver not the black you see every day.

11_Custom20gauge20over20lay20003.jpg.c5cc57e0ab590accfc4ad58eac4c597a.jpg

11_Custom20gauge20over20lay20012DD.jpg.19a528882c7e94ee67f037a3d7bea7af.jpg

Its what you have to do for a 1 year only dash over lay no one makes replacements for and did not like the wood type the car came with. The silver looks close to a base model overlay you hardly see in a car.

Dave ----

If the masses like it and it sells why not :nabble_smiley_good:

See I was thinking snake skin :nabble_smiley_grin:

Now don't be a hater but I did a over lay in real carbon fiber but in silver not the black you see every day.

Its what you have to do for a 1 year only dash over lay no one makes replacements for and did not like the wood type the car came with. The silver looks close to a base model overlay you hardly see in a car.

Dave ----

Dave,

Carbon fiber is black only.

Hexcel (here in Stamford) makes a silver weave called 'Hexainium', I think.

Why not lepoard, or pink zebra???

It's sexy!

Dave,

Carbon fiber is black only.

Hexcell makes a weave called 'plytainium', I think.

Why not lepoard, or pink zebra???

It was listed as silver carbon, they added the color when it was made IIRC.

I did this years ago when that project was on the front buner.

leopard color would clash with the colors of my truck but that pink zebra that may work :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Not ....... :nabble_thumbs-down-23_orig:

Dave ----