Bullnose Forums

Alternator replace, advice please

Jim - I'm "with grandtwins" and it makes concentrating difficult. This whole thing appears to need concentration as it isn't clicking with me. So, when I can devote some time I'll try to get my head around it.

Having said that, if you have suggested any verbiage, or upgrades thereof, for the swap page please send it on.

Im sure you're very busy and don't mean to distract you from the more important task.

I was just replying to your questions in the most through and succinct way I can.

On my phone I lose the replied to text, so sometimes I fail to fully address your questions in one reply.

Maybe we should stop cluttering this thread and revive the 3G swap one?

Okay awesome! Have more info to go on now, thank you! Working on getting the alternator out right now before the sun gets too high.

Still confused on the belts though. The write up says that 1 vbelt can only handle up to 100amps and after that theres slippage, noise, and possibly early wear of components. A 2 belt system would be needed. This was the source of my confusion, and one contributing factor for choosing a 90 amp over a 130. I am no expert, on a budget, and this is my main mode of transport currently (so on a time budget); so changing a belt configuration seems outside of the scope of what i can do. For that matter i might just put the 70 from oreily in and upgrade a little down the road.

Gary,

I failed to note among the small case 3G's the '92-'94 Aerostar 3.0 uses Lester 7749-3 and the 460 uses Lester 7749. (without the suffix)

EDIT***

These two numbers and their applications are the 90A ones Buggtruck says he is looking for

Thanks for the aerostar suggestion. My parents had a 93 aerostar fir a very long time, that thing was a champ!

However maybe I'm remembering wrong but i thought the 93 aerostar we had had a odd sideways mounting holes on the alternator? Been a while since i helped my dad change that, but i remember there was something odd...

Still confused on the belts though. The write up says that 1 vbelt can only handle up to 100amps and after that theres slippage, noise, and possibly early wear of components. A 2 belt system would be needed. This was the source of my confusion, and one contributing factor for choosing a 90 amp over a 130. I am no expert, on a budget, and this is my main mode of transport currently (so on a time budget); so changing a belt configuration seems outside of the scope of what i can do. For that matter i might just put the 70 from oreily in and upgrade a little down the road.

Crazy question, but do you actually need more amperage? It's one thing if you do, but if you don't, why bother?

Crazy question, but do you actually need more amperage? It's one thing if you do, but if you don't, why bother?

Right this moment, im am probably just okay, but with the radio and planned additions on my project truck i kinda want spare amps. I could just as easily upgrade the alternator later i suppose...

Wanted more lighting inside cab as well as bed and under the hood, possibly a cb radio, chargers for phone.

Wanted to add larger speakers (not insane, but better). Right now i only have 2 5.25" speakers in the door. My radio could support up to 4 speakers and a base. If i added a small amp as well i could up the speaker output. I don't want to go deaf, but my puny 2 speaker setup struggles to be heard.

Part of my future plans are to add some upgrades to camp in the bed with the shell. So i was looking to add a second battery (with an isolator of course!) and an inverter, as well as additional lighting.

Thanks for the aerostar suggestion. My parents had a 93 aerostar fir a very long time, that thing was a champ!

However maybe I'm remembering wrong but i thought the 93 aerostar we had had a odd sideways mounting holes on the alternator? Been a while since i helped my dad change that, but i remember there was something odd...

Aerostars were front engine RWD, I believe on a Ranger based chassis, Windstars were sidewinders based on a Taurus derived chassis.

Im sure you're very busy and don't mean to distract you from the more important task.

I was just replying to your questions in the most through and succinct way I can.

On my phone I lose the replied to text, so sometimes I fail to fully address your questions in one reply.

Maybe we should stop cluttering this thread and revive the 3G swap one?

Jim a We probably ought to revive the other thread. Be my guest!

Buggtruck - A v-belt will only support ~90 amps w/o some slippage. But just because you have an alternator rated for more doesn’t mean it will try to generate more. That depends on the state of the battery and the type of regulator.

A well-charged battery would not trigger a high-current output under normal conditions. Even with a big stereo you shouldn’t be pulling that much current unless you run the stereo with the engine off for an extended period.

And there are regulators available with delay built in that would slow the output’s ramp up and therefore the slippage.

Okay awesome! Have more info to go on now, thank you! Working on getting the alternator out right now before the sun gets too high.

If your 2G smoked it's more than likely it is the infamous 'fire plug' or as Bill said the fusible link.

Given the mods you want I would just use the easily found 130A 8.25" unit from a '92-'94 Taurus/Sable with the 3.8l engine.

Yes, a single V-belt will only transfer enough power for about 100A but the advantage of the 130 is that it will put out more at idle than the 2G's 65A maximum output.

The diodes and heat sink are bigger so it runs cooler at the same output as a 90A 3G.

The battery stays charged, the lights don't dim with the blower on, etc...

I have a single V-belt.

I sent Gary my double sheave one.

Here is a 7749

02968_F.jpg.86baab5f961a64906fa95e16d95c99f7.jpg

From this NQS page, which offers a application.

https://store.alternatorparts.com/partno20229142replacesfordf2uu-10300-cdlester77497758.aspx

So, hens teeth can be found

Here is a 7749

From this NQS page, which offers a application.

https://store.alternatorparts.com/partno20229142replacesfordf2uu-10300-cdlester77497758.aspx

So, hens teeth can be found

One thing that was partly brought up was the single belt and the belt slipping making noise.

I here most of the time this happens at start up when you just pulled a lot out of the battery and the ALT is trying to charge it back up.

You can install a slow start regulator into the ALT. This will bring the ALT on slowly and keeps the belt from slipping and making noise.

When my 1G ALT goes out and I go with the 3G ALT because I only have a single belt this is the way I am going to go, slow start up.

Dave ----