Bullnose Forums

Looking for Bulged Bullnose Fenders

I like both of those Ideas, I have found long Bed Bedsides with a 3" Bulge and some Rise so that's easy now. I think you've got the right thinking, that either a second set of fenders, or patches, or Dually lines might get this started. I've got some time before I start into the widening, but I'd like to know what my options are before I change the suspension and can't get anything to cover it. :-)

Wait... What about these? could it be?

https://autofab.com/i-13043699-1980-1986-ford-bronco-or-f150-ashley-style-bulged-front-fenders.html

A big part of 'the bullnose look' is the flat topped wheel arches.

When you see an '80-'86 truck with a bricknose bed it is really odd.

Given those fiberglass fenders require a fabricated space frame that needs to support not only the radiator but also a battery bouncing around, you might be better off buying some cheap repop fenders and cutting them up to extend the ones you have

A big part of 'the bullnose look' is the flat topped wheel arches.

When you see an '80-'86 truck with a bricknose bed it is really odd.

Given those fiberglass fenders require a fabricated space frame that needs to support not only the radiator but also a battery bouncing around, you might be better off buying some cheap repop fenders and cutting them up to extend the ones you have

They also don't look like they are bulged but the opening cut bigger or higher to clear a tire stuffed up into the wheel well. And at $650+ s&h that is a lot to ask.

As for bracing if it is race weight it would really be thin fiber glass so it would need a bar or rod from firewall to radiator support or with the support moving could take out the fenders.

I had race weight glass fenders on a 73 Datsun 510 but the way the front was made I did not need to run support rods but did need to keep people from leaning on the car or they would have cracked the fenders and rear flares. Why is it people want to lean on a fancy (street/race) car / truck that is not theirs??????

When I think of bulged I also think the opening looks stock but the fender wheel lip is pushed out.

Because of this the inner part would also move out to clear a tire being stuffed up in the fender well.

2005_frontier_bedsides_3_grande.jpg.5b433a16d2e337b2726779da368dbba3.jpg

Found this on a Google search. Here you can see this is a bulged fenders and not just the opening raised up.

Did you say you can get the rears and if so got a link to them?

Dave ----

They also don't look like they are bulged but the opening cut bigger or higher to clear a tire stuffed up into the wheel well. And at $650+ s&h that is a lot to ask.

As for bracing if it is race weight it would really be thin fiber glass so it would need a bar or rod from firewall to radiator support or with the support moving could take out the fenders.

I had race weight glass fenders on a 73 Datsun 510 but the way the front was made I did not need to run support rods but did need to keep people from leaning on the car or they would have cracked the fenders and rear flares. Why is it people want to lean on a fancy (street/race) car / truck that is not theirs??????

When I think of bulged I also think the opening looks stock but the fender wheel lip is pushed out.

Because of this the inner part would also move out to clear a tire being stuffed up in the fender well.

Found this on a Google search. Here you can see this is a bulged fenders and not just the opening raised up.

Did you say you can get the rears and if so got a link to them?

Dave ----

Dave, When I think of box flares I'm always brought back to the early '80's group B Audi quattro rally cars...

A1A2.jpg.30c9b1f8484ce0d5cfc0d1b46cdae726.jpg

Maybe I'm just showing my age.

Dave, When I think of box flares I'm always brought back to the early '80's group B Audi quattro rally cars...

Kind of a shame the ones in Shaun's link lose the squared off wheel arches, because otherwise they look ideal for you Alex.

They are fiberglass, so I suppose that's easy enough to remedy.

A1A2.jpg

Then we both are showing our age. I was thinking some of the road racing cars did the same bulging fenders to fit wider wheels & tires. When I Googled all I found where the trucks for pictures.

I was also thinking if it was me that wanted to do this how I would go about it.

I am also cheap (read poor :nabble_smiley_sad:) and why I was thinking the duel rear wheel fenders as a start for the bulge.

They might look a little boxy but it would have the shape & lines to match the body.

Sometimes its not how it looks but how it works!

Dave ----

A1A2.jpg

Then we both are showing our age. I was thinking some of the road racing cars did the same bulging fenders to fit wider wheels & tires. When I Googled all I found where the trucks for pictures.

I was also thinking if it was me that wanted to do this how I would go about it.

I am also cheap (read poor :nabble_smiley_sad:) and why I was thinking the duel rear wheel fenders as a start for the bulge.

They might look a little boxy but it would have the shape & lines to match the body.

Sometimes its not how it looks but how it works!

Dave ----

Absolutely!

But Alex was saying how important it was to keep the bullnose look.

Follow Shaun's link and then look at the '80-'86 Bronco (as they don't have them pictured on an F-series)

image_cd36200b-d011-4fa2-99f7-e20efe8bf30c_1024x1024.jpg.0bbf12adb9b3fae363be9f5bb795758b.jpg

Eta: pic of Bullnose front wheel opening for comparison

front-right-11-04-18.jpg.9ed284e736702cd8db6ef4ea396be03f.jpg

I think you could pull a female off the existing fenders to get the flat top and the crease around the Bullnose wheel arch.

Then cut out the fiberglass wheel arch and slap the mould on the outside.

Flip it over and lay the new opening into the ADV fender.

Those fenders are shown as having 4 1/2" flare and 4" rise.

Absolutely!

Follow Shaun's link and then look at the '80-'86 Bronco (as they don't have them pictured on an F-series)

image_cd36200b-d011-4fa2-99f7-e20efe8bf30c_1024x1024.jpg

front-right-11-04-18.jpg

I think you could pull a female off the existing fenders to get the flat top and the crease around the Bullnose wheel arch.

I think with all that work you could use the duel fenders and get the 4 1/2" flare or more and I don't think you would need the rise and you would had the right opening shape.

Dave ----

Absolutely!

image_cd36200b-d011-4fa2-99f7-e20efe8bf30c_1024x1024.jpg

front-right-11-04-18.jpg

I think with all that work you could use the duel fenders and get the 4 1/2" flare or more and I don't think you would need the rise and you would had the right opening shape.

Dave ----

I'd agree with that but I don't think the dually flare is going to come close to fitting between the wheel opening and the corner by the bumper.

And you would have to glass it to sheet metal, which is never a real good bond.

If Alex is wanting a fully fiberglass 'pre runner' style fender with the crease around the opening like a bullnose he is in for some work no matter what.

Maybe he wants the rise? IDK exactly what he's going for *** but that's what he said above ***

My being brought up around boatyards and loving working with epoxy composites makes it seem like an adventure rather than a chore.

• 2 weeks later...

If Alex is wanting a fully fiberglass 'pre runner' style fender with the crease around the opening like a bullnose he is in for some work no matter what.

Maybe he wants the rise? IDK exactly what he's going for *** but that's what he said above ***

Sorry it's been a while to get back to this post but I'm definitely interested in Bulge AND Rise. Noticing how the Fender line is different than the later model trucks I think I may be up to the challenge of laying some Glass. Although I'm a boat owner, I'm no Fiberglass-master, I know several others that know more than I about the process, but none work on trucks. So this will probably be a job...uh I mean and Adventure, that will require some consultation along the way. I'm thinking some spare fenders as templates to keep the lines the same then slit the sheetmetal to expand the out and glass them over. either accomplishing a negative fore over all glass fenders or possibly to build out and sand for paint.

I'm pretty much making this up as I type and it Kind of sounds like it'd work,

Open to suggestions.....