Bullnose Forums

attaching inner door panel window guide

Troy

I have been waiting a week for my local shop to attach the inner door panel window guide/seal to the...inner door panel. I removed the heavy duty staples and as a 'do it yourself' kind of guy, maybe I should purchase my own 'stapler', but what is it I would be looking for? It certainly was not a hog ring stapler, any insight or suggestions as to what I am looking for? I could find dozens of uses for such a device, I believe.

No! Don’t staple it!!! Been there, done that, and broke the door panel. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Instead, use pop rivets with the appropriate washers to spread the load. I think a 3/16” diameter rivet would be more than enough, and a smaller one should do adequately.

Exactly, use rivets. I use 1/8" in most cases and a washer , as suggested, on the backside will help it stay put.

No! Don’t staple it!!! Been there, done that, and broke the door panel. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Instead, use pop rivets with the appropriate washers to spread the load. I think a 3/16” diameter rivet would be more than enough, and a smaller one should do adequately.

was your experience due to the age of the plastic...brittle?

was your experience due to the age of the plastic...brittle?

Yes, the problem was probably due to brittle plastic. So if you are using new door panels you might not have a problem. But I wouldn’t chance it. Pop rivets hold the piece tightly to the panel, probably even better than staples.

Yes, the problem was probably due to brittle plastic. So if you are using new door panels you might not have a problem. But I wouldn’t chance it. Pop rivets hold the piece tightly to the panel, probably even better than staples.

I went to pick the panels up right after the above tips...and they were done. On the up side, they were drilled and riveted. It was a glass and upholstery shop so maybe I shouldn't be surprised they did the right thing, likely have seen more of this stuff than I will in my lifetime.

I went to pick the panels up right after the above tips...and they were done. On the up side, they were drilled and riveted. It was a glass and upholstery shop so maybe I shouldn't be surprised they did the right thing, likely have seen more of this stuff than I will in my lifetime.

They may have made the same mistake I made. Drilling and riveting is a lot safer than stapling.

Anyway, glad they are done. You can soon finish peeling this layer off the onion. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not on our trucks but I have heard of guys using mechanics wire like staples. Poked thru the front and twist on the back side to hold it in place.

Dave ----

Not on our trucks but I have heard of guys using mechanics wire like staples. Poked thru the front and twist on the back side to hold it in place.

Dave ----

Heat the wire with a torch and when red hot melt your way through.

No way of risking damage trying to predrill a hole.

I'm going to be replacing my window weatherstrips in 2 days according to tracking.