Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Time for a brief update, having gotten back from vacation late last night.

First, the measurement from the bottom of the drop-in liner's corrugations to the bottom of the tool box is 4 3/4 - 4 7/8", depending on where you measure. So I think w/o the drop-in liner but with the spray-in liner it'll approach 5". Which might mean that a true 5.0" post will work nicely, allowing a bit of room for a piece of weather stripping on the bed sides, both for cushioning as well as to seal the bed.

Toward that end, Trex makes a 5" post that, while hollow, has 5/8" sides so should easily stand the load. However, if 5.0" isn't going to work then I'll need to get a 6 x 6 of wood and mill it down to fit. Maybe the Osage Orange?

Which brings me to the way the box is currently installed. There are J-hooks going through the "wings" of the box and catching the inside edge of the bed instead of holes drilled through the tops of the bed. This will work nicely 'cause I can put the weather stripping on the bed sides and snug down w/the hooks to ensure the box is stable but not put load on the bed.

Having said that, I think I'm going to also put the L-shaped piece in the corners, tying the bed sides to the front panel. I just checked and there's 3" on the sides between the box and the bed sides, and ~1" in front between the box and front panel. So there's plenty of room to put the bracket and bolt heads in there and not have the box rubbing on them.

On another front, I had a conversation with my son re Big Blue, overlanding, etc. He seemed interested and asked for more pics of what I've done. So I've come up with a plan for which I'd like your input. Basically it is two-pronged:

Picture Gallery: I have two pages on Big Blue. One is at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Big Blue, and the other is below that at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Big Blue/Big Blue's Documentation. I see no reason for there to be two pages. And the pictures and detail on the top page are out of date. So I'm thinking I'll merge them into one page with these tabs:

• Documentation

• As Acquired: This would include the pictures and detail that describe BB when I got him back in '87

• Transformed: This tab would have the specs on what he is now as well as recent pictures

Big Blue's Transformation: This is the current thread, which is obviously L.O.N.G. And in the first post there's a Word doc that has my check list of what I did. But I think I need to replace it with a document that has the detail of what the truck is and has links to the posts about that. An example of what I'm talking about is the doc in the first post of Dad's Truck Build, although I'll try to make it shorter.

Thoughts?

On another front, I had a conversation with my son re Big Blue, overlanding, etc. He seemed interested and asked for more pics of what I've done. So I've come up with a plan for which I'd like your input. Basically it is two-pronged:

Picture Gallery: I have two pages on Big Blue. One is at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Big Blue, and the other is below that at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Big Blue/Big Blue's Documentation. I see no reason for there to be two pages. And the pictures and detail on the top page are out of date. So I'm thinking I'll merge them into one page with these tabs:

• Documentation

• As Acquired: This would include the pictures and detail that describe BB when I got him back in '87

• Transformed: This tab would have the specs on what he is now as well as recent pictures

Big Blue's Transformation: This is the current thread, which is obviously L.O.N.G. And in the first post there's a Word doc that has my check list of what I did. But I think I need to replace it with a document that has the detail of what the truck is and has links to the posts about that. An example of what I'm talking about is the doc in the first post of Dad's Truck Build, although I'll try to make it shorter.

Thoughts?

Step 3: find a publisher and turn this thread into a coffee table book :nabble_smiley_happy:

I took a very quick look at the Word doc in Dad's Truck Build and I like it but for this thread I would lean more towards an Index. So on the first post of this thread identify the big topics and permalink to them.

Step 3: find a publisher and turn this thread into a coffee table book :nabble_smiley_happy:

I took a very quick look at the Word doc in Dad's Truck Build and I like it but for this thread I would lean more towards an Index. So on the first post of this thread identify the big topics and permalink to them.

Yes, an index is basically what I'm talking about. However, I'm thinking that there would be a brief description for each entry since there's no one post that tells all about it. And then links w/in the discussion to posts about that aspect. For instance:

• Engine: Some explanation that the short block was built by Scotty, the EFI heads by Eric Weingartner, etc.

• Front Axle: It is a D60 from a '95 F350 that was rebuilt by whomever with 3.55 gears and an OX locker.

• Front Suspension: The front axle rides on SuperDuty springs and uses a reverse shackle kit from Sky Offroad (with link to that thread)

Does that make sense?

.... Thoughts?

Given that you asked, and keeping in mind the differences between us that Jim just called out in my Bronco project thread :nabble_smiley_beam:...

If it were me (and it isn't) I would not try to index a thread with over 5000 posts. Threads, by their nature, meander, which isn't very conducive to indexing.

What I'd do instead is write up a much simpler summary, saying what the outcome was rather than documenting the process.

I suppose I might add a single link to each major topic, giving people a general starting point if they wanted to see the discussion of the process. But I might not even do that, because I think it would be too hard to feel good about finding the RIGHT spot for any given topic.

That said, it isn't me, and I know that however you do this it will be a labor of love. So my main thought is: have fun with it!

.... Thoughts?

Given that you asked, and keeping in mind the differences between us that Jim just called out in my Bronco project thread :nabble_smiley_beam:...

If it were me (and it isn't) I would not try to index a thread with over 5000 posts. Threads, by their nature, meander, which isn't very conducive to indexing.

What I'd do instead is write up a much simpler summary, saying what the outcome was rather than documenting the process.

I suppose I might add a single link to each major topic, giving people a general starting point if they wanted to see the discussion of the process. But I might not even do that, because I think it would be too hard to feel good about finding the RIGHT spot for any given topic.

That said, it isn't me, and I know that however you do this it will be a labor of love. So my main thought is: have fun with it!

Bob - Maybe we aren't as different as it might seem. I'm starting to think that it will be really difficult to find "the right" post to link to for any particular topic. So just a writeup may have to do, as you suggested.

And, you are right, it will be a labor of love. I want to get it "right" so it is easy for others, and particularly my son, to get his head around what I've done.

So, I'll give it a go and y'all can critique it. :nabble_anim_working:

Bob - Maybe we aren't as different as it might seem. I'm starting to think that it will be really difficult to find "the right" post to link to for any particular topic. So just a writeup may have to do, as you suggested.

And, you are right, it will be a labor of love. I want to get it "right" so it is easy for others, and particularly my son, to get his head around what I've done.

So, I'll give it a go and y'all can critique it. :nabble_anim_working:

Ok, I've gotten started on a document and have embedded it in the first post: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Big-Blue-s-Transformation-td28014.html. But I probably need to edit the first post itself as it may refer to the old document. :nabble_anim_confused:

No where near done, but let me know what you think of the approach.

Ok, I've gotten started on a document and have embedded it in the first post: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Big-Blue-s-Transformation-td28014.html. But I probably need to edit the first post itself as it may refer to the old document. :nabble_anim_confused:

No where near done, but let me know what you think of the approach.

I like the approach in general, but I think I'd add a little more detail in a few places. Caveat: If this info is somewhere else maybe it doesn't need to be here, but this might be a good place for it. That said, some of the detail I'm thinking of is stuff like:

Under "Transmission" I might say what clutch, flywheel and pressure plate were used (assuming they aren't stock 1985 F-250 parts).

Under "Suspension" I might say what SuperDuty springs were used (code "U"?)

And if I'm nit-picking details:

Under "Rear Axle", a TrueTrac is a limited slip, not a locker

That said, I do like it. It reads easily and isn't very long, so you won't lose people too easily.

I like the approach in general, but I think I'd add a little more detail in a few places. Caveat: If this info is somewhere else maybe it doesn't need to be here, but this might be a good place for it. That said, some of the detail I'm thinking of is stuff like:

Under "Transmission" I might say what clutch, flywheel and pressure plate were used (assuming they aren't stock 1985 F-250 parts).

Under "Suspension" I might say what SuperDuty springs were used (code "U"?)

And if I'm nit-picking details:

Under "Rear Axle", a TrueTrac is a limited slip, not a locker

That said, I do like it. It reads easily and isn't very long, so you won't lose people too easily.

Cool! I thought I had too much already. I'll flesh it out a bit.

And you are right, limited slip. And "U" code. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks!

Cool! I thought I had too much already. I'll flesh it out a bit.

And you are right, limited slip. And "U" code. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks!

I'm just know that when I go to the auto parts store looking for something the first question they ask is "what vehicle is it in?" When I don't remember what I pulled this particular part from it gets a lot harder. You have stuff like what vehicle the front axle is from and so on. I wouldn't add a LOT of verbiage to it (oh, who am I kidding? Of course I'd add too much verbiage!), but try to identify some of the main custom parts.

I'm just know that when I go to the auto parts store looking for something the first question they ask is "what vehicle is it in?" When I don't remember what I pulled this particular part from it gets a lot harder. You have stuff like what vehicle the front axle is from and so on. I wouldn't add a LOT of verbiage to it (oh, who am I kidding? Of course I'd add too much verbiage!), but try to identify some of the main custom parts.

Sometimes I have to be firm with the cashier that I'm looking for XYZ part number.

Don't ask me what vehicle it is for because it is not going to come up.

I know you are just doing your job. But hear me now. I want part number 12345.

I don't care how long you've been behind this counter.

I don't care that corporate demands that you follow SOP.

And I don't care if I have to walk the **** out of here and go to NAPA up the road...