Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Well, USPS says my t-case seal will be delivered by 9 PM. So I doubt there's going to be a test drive today. :nabble_smiley_sad:Given that, I decided that I'd see about relocating the coolant/windshield washer reservoir. So I dragged out a badly broken one and it looked like it would fit. Given that I pulled the vacuum reservoir and re-plumbed to the one on the HVAC plenum. Then I pulled the jack & mount as well as the jack handle, and then ensured I have a bottle jack in the tool box - yep.And here 'tis. Just have to make a bracket for it, move/extend the wiring to the washer pump, re-route the washer hose, and come up with a new, longer hose for the coolant. Then I can move the reservoir and have that space freed up.
I’m curious as to how you’re going to run your overflow line to that? Frankly, I’d look into two separate reservoirs. That thing takes up too much space and really doesn’t look good at the angle you have it in. Neither there or in the previous spot. That’s my humble opinion only. You can get really nice overflow canisters and put it closer to the radiator where it belongs :  Proform Parts 69527 Proform Radiator Overflow Canisters | Summit Racing   

And, I’ll bet you, you could source a smaller wiper reservoir with motor too. Could come off a Honda or something……doesn’t need to be that big. I mean really, how often do you drive the truck and use the wiper fluid??? A small reservoir would be fine. Another alternative is just ditching the wiper reservoir, prep the windshield with rainex solution and use your very good wipers. Loose that dual canister, Gary. That’s my advise.

I like that junction box you have on your passenger fender. That’s what I’m talking about in a clean set up. See my attached photo to clarify. What do you have in there? Headlight relays in there? I’ve done the Headlight mod and my relays are hidden but not exactly easy to get to and replace if need be. In fact, I really don’t like them as they are a combined mount and relay if I’m not mistaken. As you know, I am in the process of doing the alternator mod. Need a relay for my converted ammeter though. Probably won’t be adding anything else that I can think of though. Won’t have near the electrical needs that you have but would be interested in a smaller unit, maybe??? Thoughts, recommendations on a similar but maybe smaller unit?

John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 11:00 AM

To: Machspeed

Subject: Re: Big Blue's Transformation

Well, USPS says my t-case seal will be delivered by 9 PM.  So I doubt there's going to be a test drive today.   7F04AC9E55CD42B4B0DC63BC2D7662C4.png.e7df11a9cc443f0e1d6769d8eef782c4.png

Given that, I decided that I'd see about relocating the coolant/windshield washer reservoir.  So I dragged out a badly broken one and it looked like it would fit.  Given that I pulled the vacuum reservoir and re-plumbed to the one on the HVAC plenum.  Then I pulled the jack & mount as well as the jack handle, and then ensured I have a bottle jack in the tool box - yep.

And here 'tis.  Just have to make a bracket for it, move/extend the wiring to the washer pump, re-route the washer hose, and come up with a new, longer hose for the coolant.  Then I can move the reservoir and have that space freed up.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n85556/Mocked_Up_Relocated_Cooland_%26_Windshield_Washer_Reservoir.jpg

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

A324FFBCAC90431185A186E7D7F64A96.png.2ee2e7b939701c54b37bb0f3d9a3ec10.png

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Big-Blue-s-Transformation-tp28014p85556.html

To unsubscribe from Big Blue's Transformation, click here.

NAML

ElectricalJunctionBox.thumb.jpg.f00601415f5ddde757d679166cb72ec7.jpg

Good space saving ideas John! We had the same thought with the universal unit. It looks like the factory one fits snugly in there but it is quite a ways for the hose. I didn't do any measuring but in my mind one of those units would anchor to one of the core support uprights (nice if one would fit between the uprights) and sit between the aux battery and radiator. Then it's a really short run to the radiator cap.

I like getting rid of the standalone vac tank. Didn't realize later years had them on the HVAC box.

Regarding your relays - don't forget the blower relay mod. It's well worth it and right in that area.

Good space saving ideas John! We had the same thought with the universal unit. It looks like the factory one fits snugly in there but it is quite a ways for the hose. I didn't do any measuring but in my mind one of those units would anchor to one of the core support uprights (nice if one would fit between the uprights) and sit between the aux battery and radiator. Then it's a really short run to the radiator cap.

I like getting rid of the standalone vac tank. Didn't realize later years had them on the HVAC box.

Regarding your relays - don't forget the blower relay mod. It's well worth it and right in that area.

Well this is screwy! I sent that directly to Gary via email as I was pestering him about G3 stuff. Did not expect to see it here. But hey Scott, thanks!

I forgot about that blower relay mod, thanks for reminding me, Scott! Thoughts on that relay/junction box?

Well this is screwy! I sent that directly to Gary via email as I was pestering him about G3 stuff. Did not expect to see it here. But hey Scott, thanks!

I forgot about that blower relay mod, thanks for reminding me, Scott! Thoughts on that relay/junction box?

Wow! So many thoughts and so little idea of how to express them. I'll try, but want everyone's feedback, please.

But first, I think you replied to a notification email from the forum, John, instead of emailing me. That would explain how it got here. But on your question about the EFI PDB, unless you are like me and want to use Ford parts, Scott's approach with the aftermarket PDB will be easier. I'll let him address that.

However, that does bring me to one of the things I like to do - use Ford parts in/on my Ford. Which is one of the reasons I like the idea of using the original reservoir. And I really like causing the Ford gurus to scratch their heads and say "Wait, why is that part over there? It is the right part, but shouldn't it be over here - where the factory-looking air box is?" Or, "I didn't know Ford put EFI in a Bullnose. But those are all Ford parts, so they must have?" :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, essentially I'm out of room at the inn. With the aux battery and extra PDB on the passenger's fender there's just almost no room for anything else. For instance, y'all probably didn't know that there's a fresh air intake duct that goes right through one of the places you mentioned installing a coolant recovery reservoir. With that there's an opening between that air conditioning tube and the radiator of 2" wide by 8" tall, which I think is too small.

EFI_Cold_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.3d3c57b86724d2fed589663e172e7920.jpg

But on the passenger's side there is a bit more, like just less than 4" wide by 17" high. Still, that's not much. And if you are already over to that side with the coolant overflow hose why not just go on to the reservoir I'm talking about, which would serve both coolant and windshield washer?

Toward that end, I spent quite a bit of time figuring out how to do it. At first there wasn't quite enough room between the PDB and the A/C drier, but I rerouted the battery cables and shifted the PDB forward 1" and that did the trick.

Here's a pic of where it would go. At first blush you'd think it needs to come back, meaning toward the fender, a bit, but don't forget that the hood hinge pivots down there, and in this position the hinge misses by 1/2".

Reservoir_In_Possible_Spot.thumb.jpg.e07ffc12552237ba332e6460d07559d3.jpg

But, all is not lost as there's room between the hinge and the fender to install relays, like for the blower motor. I could do that with one of the Ford relay "hoods" or maybe just the single relay I got from U-Haul specifically for that purpose. But I might re-wire the PDB to handle that. In any event, I think there's plenty of room for relays.

Hinge_Clears_Reservoir.thumb.jpg.3e85f0d2b8282d0b9214e081c0214248.jpg

Now for how I think I'd do it. In the left pic you can see an outline. The green represents a piece of 3" strap, held to the fender liner via the holes that are already there. Then on the ends you see two pieces of angle, drawn in red, which are welded to the strap and are standing straight up. And in the middle in yellow is the reservoir.

In the pic on the right you see the reservoir in place and the red pieces of angle in position to capture the ears of the reservoir and support it.

THOUGHTS?

Possible_Mounting_Spot_For_Reservoir_-_Base.thumb.jpg.ae9c13cbe4fbc83f3b2d2bf5db798485.jpg

Possible_Mounting_Spot_For_Reservoir_-_Reservoir.thumb.jpg.b0ab9550fdd27b1b0248bb3ba60da356.jpg

Wow! So many thoughts and so little idea of how to express them. I'll try, but want everyone's feedback, please.

But first, I think you replied to a notification email from the forum, John, instead of emailing me. That would explain how it got here. But on your question about the EFI PDB, unless you are like me and want to use Ford parts, Scott's approach with the aftermarket PDB will be easier. I'll let him address that.

However, that does bring me to one of the things I like to do - use Ford parts in/on my Ford. Which is one of the reasons I like the idea of using the original reservoir. And I really like causing the Ford gurus to scratch their heads and say "Wait, why is that part over there? It is the right part, but shouldn't it be over here - where the factory-looking air box is?" Or, "I didn't know Ford put EFI in a Bullnose. But those are all Ford parts, so they must have?" :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, essentially I'm out of room at the inn. With the aux battery and extra PDB on the passenger's fender there's just almost no room for anything else. For instance, y'all probably didn't know that there's a fresh air intake duct that goes right through one of the places you mentioned installing a coolant recovery reservoir. With that there's an opening between that air conditioning tube and the radiator of 2" wide by 8" tall, which I think is too small.

But on the passenger's side there is a bit more, like just less than 4" wide by 17" high. Still, that's not much. And if you are already over to that side with the coolant overflow hose why not just go on to the reservoir I'm talking about, which would serve both coolant and windshield washer?

Toward that end, I spent quite a bit of time figuring out how to do it. At first there wasn't quite enough room between the PDB and the A/C drier, but I rerouted the battery cables and shifted the PDB forward 1" and that did the trick.

Here's a pic of where it would go. At first blush you'd think it needs to come back, meaning toward the fender, a bit, but don't forget that the hood hinge pivots down there, and in this position the hinge misses by 1/2".

But, all is not lost as there's room between the hinge and the fender to install relays, like for the blower motor. I could do that with one of the Ford relay "hoods" or maybe just the single relay I got from U-Haul specifically for that purpose. But I might re-wire the PDB to handle that. In any event, I think there's plenty of room for relays.

Now for how I think I'd do it. In the left pic you can see an outline. The green represents a piece of 3" strap, held to the fender liner via the holes that are already there. Then on the ends you see two pieces of angle, drawn in red, which are welded to the strap and are standing straight up. And in the middle in yellow is the reservoir.

In the pic on the right you see the reservoir in place and the red pieces of angle in position to capture the ears of the reservoir and support it.

THOUGHTS?

Gary, that engine bay is FULL!!...haha. Seriously...you might need to be build an E250 soon...lol.

Gary, that engine bay is FULL!!...haha. Seriously...you might need to be build an E250 soon...lol.

No! They have even smaller engine bays!

But yes, it is full. And by the time the EFI air box and PDB are in there it'll be done. Toast. Chockablock. Which is why I'm doing my due diligence. Planning ahead. I don't want to make new battery cables and then discover I need to move things.

Hope to test it tomorrow and, if I like the suspension, will order the bolts - probably from Ruf-Stuff. Oops, I just looked on their site and can't find 3 1/2 x 5/8 x 12. So maybe UBoltsDirect? They have them here and it looks like they are $14.50/ea + $4.80 for nuts and washers.

You have to call RuffStuff and request the 12". They're a niche size, so they aren't on the site. Ordering mine was quick and easy, I think my order took 3 minutes tops. I went back and checked, and they didn't charge me more for the longer length. :nabble_smiley_good:

How are the UBoltsDirect version formed? From their description, it seems like they're cut.

Hope to test it tomorrow and, if I like the suspension, will order the bolts - probably from Ruf-Stuff. Oops, I just looked on their site and can't find 3 1/2 x 5/8 x 12. So maybe UBoltsDirect? They have them here and it looks like they are $14.50/ea + $4.80 for nuts and washers.

You have to call RuffStuff and request the 12". They're a niche size, so they aren't on the site. Ordering mine was quick and easy, I think my order took 3 minutes tops. I went back and checked, and they didn't charge me more for the longer length. :nabble_smiley_good:

How are the UBoltsDirect version formed? From their description, it seems like they're cut.

I'd bet the UBoltDirect are cut. So if I like the suspension, and I'm sure I will, I'll call RuffStuff and order them. Thanks.

Speaking of liking the suspension, the t-case seal isn't in so it'll be tomorrow, if then, before we get to test it. I'm anxious to do so as I think we are going to love the ride. Or, maybe I should temper that and say the ride will be much improved. It isn't going to be like Dad's truck, but at least I think the springs will flex on bumps now.

THOUGHTS?

Looking good!

That fresh air duct does eliminate that option. As a final off-the-wall idea on that topic - a tank could be mounted using the transmission cooler line ports. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

On the bracket for the factory cooler/washer reservoir - I would extend the two uprights and then have a piece connecting them (bolted for removal of the tank) across the top. So boxing in the reservoir. Then from that crossover piece have a flat strap going forward to the bolt on the battery holddown bracket.

I am just thinking about something that tall and holding liquid only being bolted at the bottom having some flex fore and aft.

Or could the bolt down piece be a wider piece that goes under the pdb? Give it a bigger footprint.

Looking good!

That fresh air duct does eliminate that option. As a final off-the-wall idea on that topic - a tank could be mounted using the transmission cooler line ports. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

On the bracket for the factory cooler/washer reservoir - I would extend the two uprights and then have a piece connecting them (bolted for removal of the tank) across the top. So boxing in the reservoir. Then from that crossover piece have a flat strap going forward to the bolt on the battery holddown bracket.

I am just thinking about something that tall and holding liquid only being bolted at the bottom having some flex fore and aft.

Or could the bolt down piece be a wider piece that goes under the pdb? Give it a bigger footprint.

Hadn't thought of using the cooler fittings. But there's really not much room there either.

As for boxing in the reservoir, I don't think that will be necessary as the reservoir itself is stiff and the arrangement won't allow much movement side/side. However, you have a good point about the fore/aft as even the PDB can rock that way because of the plastic of the fender liner flexing.

But I don't think I want something across the top as that would prevent opening the PDB. So what about having an arm from the bottom plate/strap that goes forward and ties into the base of the PDB? Or maybe even up to the battery tray?

I'll look at it a bit more, but I think I can make it rigid enough via bracing on the bottom such that straps on the top won't be needed.

Thanks!