Bullnose Forums

Add power to the 300 i6?

So what's the deal with camshaft upgrades for the 300L6?

I see RockAuto has Heavy Duty/Towing camshaft options...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1980,f-100,4.9l+300cid+l6,1120475,engine,camshaft,5260

Do most people just run the stock cams in them with the upgraded intakes and exhausts?

I can't answer that 'cause I've not built a 300. But if you look at the fine print on the 300 six specifications tab you'll see that there were several different camshafts for that engine. I wouldn't want to build an engine and assume that the stock cam was the right one for what I'm doing. Instead, I'd want to put a new cam in it with what some cam company says is the right one.

So what's the deal with camshaft upgrades for the 300L6?

I see RockAuto has Heavy Duty/Towing camshaft options...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1980,f-100,4.9l+300cid+l6,1120475,engine,camshaft,5260

Do most people just run the stock cams in them with the upgraded intakes and exhausts?

I do belive this engine was used in some servere duty applications, i think i read that these camshafts allowed the engine to run at higher RPMs. So thats probibly why they offered em. Dont quote me though. So in short, the reason they offered multiple camshafts is so they could be used industrially.

Thats not to shabby honestly, im not an aggresive driver so mpgs shouldnt be bad. I also read that turbocharging the 300 can shorten itslife expectancy quite a bit because it wasn't designed to run one on it. So... ill probibly just see what i end up with first and then go from there on it.

That is the best thing to do.

Get it running and go from there.

I do not expect my 81 with a 300 six to be a killer but I am pretty sure it will do 55 and maybe even 70, the max MPH here. I also have a 4sp (granny low) and a 2.75 rear gear.

Only thing I have done is EFI exh. manifolds into the stock exh. system running the stock v1 carb.

I am looking more for MPG than top speed or power. My 02 Durango, 360 EFI v8/ auto OD /3.92 rear gear, gets about 15 mpg on a good day so anything close I will be happy.

If I come across other performance parts cheap I may buy them but for now the F100 will stay as it is.

Dave ----

Thats not to shabby honestly, im not an aggresive driver so mpgs shouldnt be bad. I also read that turbocharging the 300 can shorten itslife expectancy quite a bit because it wasn't designed to run one on it. So... ill probibly just see what i end up with first and then go from there on it.

That is the best thing to do.

Get it running and go from there.

I do not expect my 81 with a 300 six to be a killer but I am pretty sure it will do 55 and maybe even 70, the max MPH here. I also have a 4sp (granny low) and a 2.75 rear gear.

Only thing I have done is EFI exh. manifolds into the stock exh. system running the stock v1 carb.

I am looking more for MPG than top speed or power. My 02 Durango, 360 EFI v8/ auto OD /3.92 rear gear, gets about 15 mpg on a good day so anything close I will be happy.

If I come across other performance parts cheap I may buy them but for now the F100 will stay as it is.

Dave ----

Thats good to hear, was just worried that the 130ish hp didnt go a long way. Thanks for the help with that!

Thats good to hear, was just worried that the 130ish hp didnt go a long way. Thanks for the help with that!

Last year, while driving to the Garagemahal Truck Show, I drove the 75 MPH speed limit on the toll road leading to Tulsa, and was cruising at slightly less than 2100 rpms. This is with a 4.9L engine, 4 speed manual O.D. and 3.08 rear gears.

Somewhere, there is a photo?

The Ford master parts catalogue lists a different cam for the fuel saver package, but all other Bullnose pickups used the same one.

My truck has 3.00 gears and I run a tall skinny tires. I have kissed 80 mph with it but I don’t like driving it that fast. It feels best around 62-67 mph on the highway. If I hit a long 6% grade it will drop to around 55 mph unloaded. It’s not a screamer but it will pull and pull all day long.

28378851-D1D9-4F60-A268-E02EE88F1DD8.jpeg.98c59e564290874b8521ebe73445aa50.jpeg

The Ford master parts catalogue lists a different cam for the fuel saver package, but all other Bullnose pickups used the same one.

My truck has 3.00 gears and I run a tall skinny tires. I have kissed 80 mph with it but I don’t like driving it that fast. It feels best around 62-67 mph on the highway. If I hit a long 6% grade it will drop to around 55 mph unloaded. It’s not a screamer but it will pull and pull all day long.

Thats really good to hear, it sounds like it lives up to the reputation ive heard about it. 2 words: Litterally Indestructible. Anyone got any war stories bout these engines? I just love hearing about what people put em through!

Thats really good to hear, it sounds like it lives up to the reputation ive heard about it. 2 words: Litterally Indestructible. Anyone got any war stories bout these engines? I just love hearing about what people put em through!

I have been around a few of these engines in industrial applications. If you take care of them they do last pretty well.

I know of a few pumps that had these for motors that probably had the equivalent of a million miles worth of hours with little more then oil and filter changes.

I think all the industrial versions of this motor received Forged cranks. So if you really are looking to improve power I would search for one of those cranks.

in point of having the engine breath more, im probigly gonna open up the exause with headers and maybe do a carb upgrade if i end up with a 300 truck. Cooling was an issue with this engine if i remember right, ive read lots of storys of these engines overheating. so cooling, lessening the exuast restriction, and maybe turbocharging it are what my plans would be to make it suitible for me. Ive heard ford even made a concept 300 that was turbocharged.