Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

So, fired up little blue this morning....lifters are rattling like nuts. What the heck? Temps have cooled off, so maybe the oil is a little thick and not pumping up the lifters?

I changed the oil Saturday night. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I drove the truck yesterday without any lifter noise. This morning it was obvious. Not an exhaust leak. For sure lifters.

I used Rural King's oil and a motorcraft oil filter. I wonder if Rural King's oil is crap.

It meets SAE SN GF-5. Harvest Kink is the brand. Never used it before, it was $9 for a 5 quart jug. I probably got what I paid for. Quick search online, no one seems to have issues with it. Maybe the 300 just doesn't like it.

It meets SAE SN GF-5. Harvest Kink is the brand. Never used it before, it was $9 for a 5 quart jug. I probably got what I paid for. Quick search online, no one seems to have issues with it. Maybe the 300 just doesn't like it.

Definitely possible..

What weight are you running?

I use diesel oil, 15/40 summer and 5/40 winter, but we see a lot more cold weather up here.

If the filter has an anti-drain back valve it may not be working

or

They no longer install the anti-drain back valves in the filter to save money?

Dave ----

I dont know. Im going to get some higher quality oil and change it out to see if it helps.

If the filter has an anti-drain back valve it may not be working

or

They no longer install the anti-drain back valves in the filter to save money?

Dave ----

I dont know. Im going to get some higher quality oil and change it out to see if it helps.

Motorcraft FL1-A oil filter is available at Walmart for <$5.00. It has the anti-drain back valve.

Motorcraft FL1-A oil filter is available at Walmart for <$5.00. It has the anti-drain back valve.

Dave, That is what I use. I buy them at Rural King. I used 10w-30 Harvest King oil for the first time. I suspect this old engine doesnt like it.

Going to get a better oil.

Ray

Dave, That is what I use. I buy them at Rural King. I used 10w-30 Harvest King oil for the first time. I suspect this old engine doesnt like it.

Going to get a better oil.

Ray

Well, it is not the filter. Since so little time on the oil, drain in a clean catch pan and use for a lawn mower?