Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

I would try the tar and bug remover first as it isn't supposed to hurt the original paint. If that doesn't work then try goo remover?

That didnt work. Had some laying here. I think I am stuck chipping at it.

I would try the tar and bug remover first as it isn't supposed to hurt the original paint. If that doesn't work then try goo remover?

Primed.

20190504_181924.jpg.307b29101c446722e01ac213a2ff1da8.jpg

And got the pan off. Im pretty sure there wasnt a good seal anywhere on the engine.

20190504_181938.jpg.c1c2031c11d8ee6bc8bfafae7903761b.jpg

I wouldn't wrap headers, of course it's personal preference, but it's the corrosion that I don't like. I would shield the starter.

I first heard about the corrosion from some guys who put it on their dual purpose motorcycles.

A couple of reads:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/exhaust-system-header-wrapping/28755

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

I heard it is the heat that causes the header tubes to crack and break.

It is ok on a race car where they maybe removed a bunch and on a drag car not under heat for a long time but I would not wrap headers on a street car / truck.

Dave ----

I wouldn't wrap headers, of course it's personal preference, but it's the corrosion that I don't like. I would shield the starter.

I first heard about the corrosion from some guys who put it on their dual purpose motorcycles.

A couple of reads:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/exhaust-system-header-wrapping/28755

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

I heard it is the heat that causes the header tubes to crack and break.

It is ok on a race car where they maybe removed a bunch and on a drag car not under heat for a long time but I would not wrap headers on a street car / truck.

Dave ----

Ran wrapped headers on a chevelle for a long time, no issues.

Road stripe paint is epoxy, usually with glass microspheres for reflection.

I guess epoxy is a good choice as it bonds like crazy and can be laid down thick while the exothermic reaction will only cause it to cure faster, unlike almost any other paint.

You might try DMSO. I've had good experience getting it to soften epoxy bonds before.

After it has a chance to diffuse in, the epoxy is able to be easily scraped off/out of the joint.

If you're in KY look in horse stores as it's used as liniment(sp?) and available as a gel, which would stick better to the rocker panel.

It does smell a bit like garlic but that goes away.

They must not use any kind of road salt or mag chloride brine on the roads down there.

That's instant death with header wrap.

Heck, even soaked in water causes headers to rot quick up north.

Looking good Ray! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for giving Little Blue a new lease on life.

Road stripe paint is epoxy, usually with glass microspheres for reflection.

I guess epoxy is a good choice as it bonds like crazy and can be laid down thick while the exothermic reaction will only cause it to cure faster, unlike almost any other paint.

You might try DMSO. I've had good experience getting it to soften epoxy bonds before.

After it has a chance to diffuse in, the epoxy is able to be easily scraped off/out of the joint.

If you're in KY look in horse stores as it's used as liniment(sp?) and available as a gel, which would stick better to the rocker panel.

It does smell a bit like garlic but that goes away.

They must not use any kind of road salt or mag chloride brine on the roads down there.

That's instant death with header wrap.

Heck, even soaked in water causes headers to rot quick up north.

Looking good Ray! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for giving Little Blue a new lease on life.

Gary, thanks for posting that the correct way.

About the header wrap. It was on a chevelle that NEVER was driven in the cold weather after salt. It rarely was driven in the rain. So that went a long way towards protecting the headers. I also applied 3 coats of white high temp header paint immediately after sandblasting. They were Used headers when I got them too!