Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

This weekend I will drill a second hole below the existing one (x2), and then file the difference between the two to mimic the oval holes on a bricknose. But mine will be perpendicular rather than parallel. Between the vertical adjustment of those two holes, and the horizontal adjustment built into the Sky bracket, I should be able to get the bracket in the sweet spot and then the remaining holes can be drilled in their proper places to prevent any potential movement.

When you lower the holes will that not raise the frame & truck some more?

I know its not much but it is some.

Dave ----

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only need to make up maybe a 1/4". It won't be enough to notice. Right now it would be sitting too low.

Drilled another hole below the existing ones and then filed the difference to make them oval. That allowed me to drop the crossmember and really dial in the adjustment. Still playing with it, but I'm hoping to have it dialed in by the end of the day and at the very least have my holes marked for drilling next week.

81560966_2721782424602072_523019363297525760_o.thumb.jpg.85a29171964ecda9caadb5dad926cc87.jpg

Drilled another hole below the existing ones and then filed the difference to make them oval. That allowed me to drop the crossmember and really dial in the adjustment. Still playing with it, but I'm hoping to have it dialed in by the end of the day and at the very least have my holes marked for drilling next week.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Interesting how much work there is to get some of these things sorted. But you are getting there.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Interesting how much work there is to get some of these things sorted. But you are getting there.

Yep, and my perfectionist tendencies aren't helping me either. But I think I have it dialed where I need it, and all of my holes are marked. I will start work with that next week, although the weather isn't looking too promising so we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, and my perfectionist tendencies aren't helping me either. But I think I have it dialed where I need it, and all of my holes are marked. I will start work with that next week, although the weather isn't looking too promising so we will see.

Well, it is officially too late to go back. All holes have been drilled with exception to the two behind the front cab mounts, I'll drill those tomorrow. RSK measures 54" eye to eye so I am calling it good enough. Whole setup is square as well. I don't like how I had to angle the front hanger so close to the radiator mounts because it looks different than the pictures on Sky's website and Gary's pics, but this was the only way I could get to 54". I put the rear hangers in place based off of measurements Gary took, and they're right where they should be. I know I'm worrying over nothing, I'll feel better when I bolt the springs up and the wheels are centered in the wheel wells. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Tomorrow I'll start prepping things for paint. Gonna try to find some cheap front leaf packs on Marketplace to hold me over until I can figure out whether I want to throw in stock height or 2" lift springs.

82474874_2740151469431834_7404929643037327360_o.thumb.jpg.53e8cb1edc6d1f685d99d4253a7dcfb3.jpg

Well, it is officially too late to go back. All holes have been drilled with exception to the two behind the front cab mounts, I'll drill those tomorrow. RSK measures 54" eye to eye so I am calling it good enough. Whole setup is square as well. I don't like how I had to angle the front hanger so close to the radiator mounts because it looks different than the pictures on Sky's website and Gary's pics, but this was the only way I could get to 54". I put the rear hangers in place based off of measurements Gary took, and they're right where they should be. I know I'm worrying over nothing, I'll feel better when I bolt the springs up and the wheels are centered in the wheel wells. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Tomorrow I'll start prepping things for paint. Gonna try to find some cheap front leaf packs on Marketplace to hold me over until I can figure out whether I want to throw in stock height or 2" lift springs.

Looks good, Shaun. Isn't yours about where mine is? Hadn't thought about where my radiator support will go.

As for the springs, how much lift do you expect to get with the RSK?

Looks good, Shaun. Isn't yours about where mine is? Hadn't thought about where my radiator support will go.

Thanks! Your radiator support should clear the RSK, but two of the bolts come pretty close to it. I loosened the radiator support so I could slide it around and let it settle after the RSK is installed. Then I'll tighten it back up.

The RSK should give me a 2" lift over stock. I don't want the truck to be a monster truck, but I want it to sit at a respectable height that will still allow me to pull goosenecks if so desired. So I'd like to see where it sits with stock SD springs, that way I can gauge which springs to buy. If I were to go with 2" lift springs, that would theoretically give me a 4" lift, and that's about as high as I'm willing to go. I've always loved the height that brush trucks sit. Below would be my max height.

1004-8l-031997-ford-f350left-side-angle.jpg.2ca1ee71ace55f3217ef00873ee2c8f5.jpg

Thanks! Your radiator support should clear the RSK, but two of the bolts come pretty close to it. I loosened the radiator support so I could slide it around and let it settle after the RSK is installed. Then I'll tighten it back up.

The RSK should give me a 2" lift over stock. I don't want the truck to be a monster truck, but I want it to sit at a respectable height that will still allow me to pull goosenecks if so desired. So I'd like to see where it sits with stock SD springs, that way I can gauge which springs to buy. If I were to go with 2" lift springs, that would theoretically give me a 4" lift, and that's about as high as I'm willing to go. I've always loved the height that brush trucks sit. Below would be my max height.

I'm with you on all that. I want mine to set pretty much level, and that's after I soften the rear springs by pulling leafs out. But you are ahead of me so I'm awaiting what you find.

I'm with you on all that. I want mine to set pretty much level, and that's after I soften the rear springs by pulling leafs out. But you are ahead of me so I'm awaiting what you find.

Sure doesn't feel like I'm ahead of you. Your truck has a drivetrain. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If I go the stock route, I'll probably order them from ATS. If I decide to do lift springs, I'll have to do my research because we all know how lift springs ride.