Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

Yes, microanalysis. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But at least you have gotten something from it - measurements. And if you need more you know I can get them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I knew if I waited long enough I would know what the parts were for.

It looks like it will be fun to install the bumper once the parts are installed.

Dave ----

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it will be fun to install the bumper once the parts are installed.

Dave ----

It looks like it's gonna take a lot of trimming to get that bumper back on. Once I get everything installed, maybe I'll start thinking about a custom bumper.

In other news, I started work on drilling what feels like a million holes in my frame. I've been relying on the crude measurements of the original rear spring hangers that Gary provided via his digital caliper. Initial mockups tell me that attaining 54" from eye to eye is achievable with no modification of the front hanger. The inner frame box pieces seem like they'll be okay as well, but I won't know for sure until I move up to the front section of the frame.

My 4x2 frame does not have the original spring hanger box for reference so I am having to go off of the upper most bolt holes for the front spring hangers. I am lucky in that my frame already has what I will refer to as "bricknose bumper holes", which is one of the mounting points for the spring hanger.

I'm hoping for some good sunny days in the future, but Florida is unpredictable, and sunlight is scarce once I get off of work. I scheduled a two week vacation from work next month, and so if I can't find the time to work on this within the next 15 days, I will have all the time I need to finish it during my vacation. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

It looks like it's gonna take a lot of trimming to get that bumper back on. Once I get everything installed, maybe I'll start thinking about a custom bumper.

In other news, I started work on drilling what feels like a million holes in my frame. I've been relying on the crude measurements of the original rear spring hangers that Gary provided via his digital caliper. Initial mockups tell me that attaining 54" from eye to eye is achievable with no modification of the front hanger. The inner frame box pieces seem like they'll be okay as well, but I won't know for sure until I move up to the front section of the frame.

My 4x2 frame does not have the original spring hanger box for reference so I am having to go off of the upper most bolt holes for the front spring hangers. I am lucky in that my frame already has what I will refer to as "bricknose bumper holes", which is one of the mounting points for the spring hanger.

I'm hoping for some good sunny days in the future, but Florida is unpredictable, and sunlight is scarce once I get off of work. I scheduled a two week vacation from work next month, and so if I can't find the time to work on this within the next 15 days, I will have all the time I need to finish it during my vacation. :nabble_smiley_good:

One advantage, I think, of the Warn winch bumper.

We all know the prices those go for. I've seen a few modern options for bullnose trucks, but they're way more than I care to pay for a ranch truck, and I don't care for the look of them anyway. I may look into building custom brackets that space the bumper out, kind of like they did with the old brush trucks, Just not as far out.

We all know the prices those go for. I've seen a few modern options for bullnose trucks, but they're way more than I care to pay for a ranch truck, and I don't care for the look of them anyway. I may look into building custom brackets that space the bumper out, kind of like they did with the old brush trucks, Just not as far out.

That sounds cool! I’d like to see that!

That sounds cool! I’d like to see that!

I'm reminded of some of the older behind bumper snow plow mounts, like below. This would be a little drastic, but it's the same idea.

4270411.jpg.ca461646241988703d8e71737493b14b.jpg

I'm reminded of some of the older behind bumper snow plow mounts, like below. This would be a little drastic, but it's the same idea.

Is that what you're doing with your newly fabricated mounts? I read through there a little bit but didn't see exactly where you're headed with it.

Is that what you're doing with your newly fabricated mounts? I read through there a little bit but didn't see exactly where you're headed with it.

I haven't built anything yet. I just noticed yesterday that there's no way of fitting the stock front bumper with the Super Duty RSK on a bullnose truck without some serious modification to the bumper. So when all is said and done I will look into either building a new front bumper, or building brackets to space out the stock front bumper just enough to clear the front spring hanger.

I haven't built anything yet. I just noticed yesterday that there's no way of fitting the stock front bumper with the Super Duty RSK on a bullnose truck without some serious modification to the bumper. So when all is said and done I will look into either building a new front bumper, or building brackets to space out the stock front bumper just enough to clear the front spring hanger.

Yes, looking at your pic it would take extreme cutting on the bumper to clear that hanger, and that would weaken the bumper dramatically. Even spacing it looks like it would require some trimming. And I expect to do some of that on the Warn bumper, but we will see.

81457931_2701783076602007_6609054370384314368_o.thumb.jpg.979ad06212cbab3ad86de5b6829edc4c.jpg

Not a plow mount but for the front of leaf springs to run a straight axle, was it a 50 or 60?

When I first seen the mounts on the ground I was like what are they?

Now that I see them set in place I see, front spring hanger for leafs.

I also see now why it is said need to trim the bumper or space it out as the mount sticks out front and the bumper kind of wraps under the frame.

I was more like how do you get the nuts started on the bumper bolts as they are now in a box!

Dave ----